1911Forum banner

Best Magazines???

8K views 46 replies 36 participants last post by  trainer1 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions here. Wilson Combat 47D...or Tripp mag's..?

#36 ·
Doesn't really matter in my PII as long as it has Tripp upgrade guts. I only have LB, CMC power mags, and CMC power mag plus, along with a recently bought Tripp Cobra mag. Had a lot of problems with FTFs and slide lock back before upgrading, now well into 3K rounds without a single problem. This is with my reloads using H&G 68 clones 200 gr over 5 gr of TiteGroup and a 18.5 lb variable Wolff recoil spring - the overall combo has hit the sweet spot. I'm a happy camper:cool:

#39 ·
If your gun won't work with those mags, there's something else wrong with it. Those are good mags. Nice follower, strong springs, and a nice finish. Most guys will poo poo them because they "only" hold 7 rounds.

I don’t own Les Baer (yet!) but I found this Mec-Gar magazine, which I believe to be the best value for money ($23 at Sportsman’s Depot) http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/1911 - works great with my Kimber Custom TLE II. Just another option for you… :D

#41 ·
Hey Joe,
I ran a pretty extensive test on magazines about two years ago comparing Wilson, Baer, Tripp, Kimber, Springfield stock, Colt, Novak and Wolff magazines in a couple of recalitrant 1911's that I had at that time. Yes, the feeding issues in both 1911's were magazine related, but the only magazine that was 100% in those two 1911's were the Tripp magazines (7 round, welded floor plate version). It was a long test (for me) and ate up a lot of ammo, but since then I've upgraded to 100% Tripp mags. A very close second were the Wilsons. Anyway, I probably didn't prove much, but the Tripps have worked perfectly in my other 1911's, too. However, my everyday carry PII seems to work with just about any magazine, including Baer mags. My bottom line feeling, though, is that in many cases, poor feeding can be traced back to the pistol itself....a good mag will sometimes get it to function in spite of itself. I'd always have a smith look at a problem feeder for any other potential issue before trusting it for the most important mission of keeping you and yours safe. Best of luck.

#42 ·
Brand new 47D's won't fit reliably in my TRS. The 10 shot Wilson doesnt fit at all. Talked DIRECTLY to Mr Baer, and he said it wasn't uncommon, and that I should either go with his, or I can wait to have my gun serviced for it's 10yr anni, and order a bunch then & get 'em fitted. My shooting stars & cheap old kimbers work fine. My TRS was used, so it didnt' come with any mags. I have a Wilson 47D in it now, but it take finesse to get in.

#46 ·
Good Morning Dangelo,
I've found that most Wilson mags have a base pad that will strike the frame unless it's relieved a bit. The front of the base pad, where it strikes the front strap bottom of the frame, usually has to be filed down a bit. After that, they should insert just fine. Hope that helps. (By the way, file the base pad of the magazine, not the frame of the pistol).
Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.