1911Forum banner

Nickel plated 1911 made in 1918 value

13K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Malysh 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My neighbor wants to sell this 1911. Now I know that the nickel plating really screws up the value. The gun most likely has no collector value and would only be a shooter. He has four magazines and the nifty little wooden box he made. I'm thinking of offering 300-350 thinking the true value may be about 500. the serial number is 470xxx rifleing is pretty worn out. Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#7 ·
Some folks might give $600-$700 for it. Fortunately it doesn't appear to have been buffed to death, and it might be semi-restorable if given to a competent refinisher.

"BBQ gun" is a cute name for guns that are often taken out of the safe only to show off to friends and neighbors at a barbeque gathering.

#10 · (Edited)
So why did they nickel plate these. I would guess that there was a bunch of worn out leftover guns that got prettied up after the war.
Not necessarily. I recall when a nickel plated gun was considered by many to be the height of fashion. While some might have been in poor condition, many were in good shape with nearly all their original finish.

I remember about 35 years ago a WWII veteran who proudly showed me the Luger he brought back from Germany and had nickel plated after he got home. Like CIB said, they just weren't seen as being valuable in their original condition.

#9 ·
Back in the day people did not consider these collectible so they prettied up or modified them in all manner of ways. After each World War and especially WWII these were all over the places when GI's brought them home. My Dad told me you could get a 1911 or Luger for $10-$15. Also, the DCM sold them for a realtively low price and people bought them and did all kinds of things to them to personalize them.

#11 ·
Nickel plating was hugely popular in the 1960's and 1970's, just like Ninja Black and OD Green is today.

#13 ·
I like it. It isn't a collector piece, but it's a cool shooter.
An example of post war G.I. history maybe.

#19 ·
And if you meet somebody who talks about doing it I hope you slap them silly.

#18 ·
Is it true than nickeled or chromed weapons needs less of care than blued finished ?
I saw in books than nickeled SAA were issued to native scouts and soldiers for this reason in the end of 19th century.
Before stainless steel, perhaps it was a good finish for rough service guns like motorbike patrolmen for example (in France, they were issued stainless revolver before "plastic pistols).

#20 ·
It is not impossible that a 1911 could have been on the Titanic, but its not likely. Production had just started, and distribution was very slow in those days. The first 50 pistols were shipped to Springfield Armory in Jan.
Sailing was the only way to get to England, and the ship left from there. Somebody would have had to make a special order from Colt to have a Government Model engraved and plated. That is going to take some time when Colt is busy with the first order for the military. Then, the pistol had to be carried to England by sea, the owner presumably planning on a stay, not leaving one ship and getting right on the Titanic to return to America.
Now, there were some very influential people on that ship, and money talks. That's why I'm leaving open the possibility that it got done.

#23 · (Edited)
When the movie first came out in 1997 a lot of folks on gun boards (which were quite primitive at the time) were saying "no way!". Apparently the debate reached the ears of somebody involved with the actual movie, who replied that they wanted the sinister bodyguard character (Mr. Lovejoy) to have a large conspicuous sidearm, and a fancy nickeled and engraved 1911 fit the bill. In reply to the assertions that a 1911 could not have been on the Titanic, it was noted that Billy Zane's character was an extremely rich and influential person who pulled strings and made "business propositions" a part of daily routine. As a result he probably had enough influence with somebody at Colt that a pre-production 1911 was assembled, fancied up, and given to him or his bodyguard as a gift prior to his traveling to Europe to go pick up Rose and her family. Maybe not likely in the real world, but according to the movie Billy Zane's character got whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted it, which was of course a huge part of the plot given the fact that the only thing he couldn't have was Rose's affection.

Besides that, seeing a 1911 made the movie more palatable to me. It also allowed me to fit in with all the sobbing people in the theater, with nobody realizing I was actually crying for a nice 1911 that was on its way to the bottom. :bawling:

#22 ·
I paid $350 for a good nickel-plated USGI in 2002, so I'd imagine the price has gone up a little. Many good plated guns are restoration candidates, and many already have been judging from the "pristine all-original" ones I see up for online bids.:rofl:

#25 ·
I read in either an S&W or Colt research book that in the 1800s factory nickel guns outsold blued guns. By the turn of the 20th century, it was changing to the opposite.
I cannot tell you whether this is true or not but whomever wrote the book I am thinking of had to have more expertise than I do.
This has nothing to do with the popularity of getting WWII souvenir guns plated, it's just a comment on the basic subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.