1911Forum banner

best compact 1911 for the money? (carry gun)

92K views 69 replies 55 participants last post by  Zero8 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have lurked here for a while, and have only registered here recently. I have mostly carried Glocks due to their toughness and lack of maintenance, specifically a model 36, .45ACP. It has never had a malfunction, but has never been as accurate as I would like, grouping around 4” at 25 yards. probably not helped by the idiotic NY style, 8lbs trigger. Either way, I have decided to purchase a smaller 1911 variant. I have carried a Colt Combat Commander on occasion in the past, and I’m very comfortable with it. But it has sentemental value (was my Dad's first handgun, and he gave it to me as my first handgun) and I don't want to carry it daily and ruin its nickel finish.

I am very interested in the Sig 1911RCS, but I’m open to anything. I would like to have stainless (will be carried in the summer in Florida, and I sweat) and I want to keep the price reasonable, I can’t afford a custom Wilson as my carry gun…. Yet :)

Thanks for any help guys! I would like to spend my money as wisely as possible

#23 ·
That is the gun I recommend. But I carry the All stainless steel Nitron coated Compact. Best gun ( for it's purpose) I have ever owned.

#4 ·
Finding the best price for a good compact 1911 may be a rather difficult task. I believe the most promising results will come from searching for a pre-owned 1911. If I were going compact, I think it would be the SA 3.5" Ultra Compact for a money saver and the SA EMP if I was being a little more liberal with my funds.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I have only been looking at new guns, but I'm open to anything. I def. want to keep it under 4 figures. My father had a FFL up until about 4 years ago (when he sold his store), and has applied for another here in Florida, so soon I will have the ability to purchase wholesale. And that is why I have been looking primarily at new guns.

There are lots of manufacturers of these guns that I have no experience with. Springfield is one of them. Are they pretty good? The only Springfield I have ever handled was a XD, and it seemed questionable in quality. I'm guessing thier 1911's are a little different, especialy looking at the price differential. I hope you guys bare with me with my retarded questions, I want quality, and the only 1911's I have first hand experience with are Colt's and Para Ord.

#24 ·
Springfield is one of them. Are they pretty good? The only Springfield I have ever handled was a XD, and it seemed questionable in quality. I'm guessing thier 1911's are a little different, especialy looking at the price differential.
'Questionable quality' how so? The XD line has earned a well deserved reputation built on reliability and ruggedness. Just compare the slide rails to a Glock. Huge difference.

Anyway back on topic. I would look long and hard at the Dan Wesson CBOB. That is at the top of my list for a CCW 1911. DW has a very high quality to $$ ratio. No MIM parts (read Ed Brown, EGW etc), SS, Night sights, Match barrel, and great customer service. I don't have one yet but I will soon enough. Lots of positive info in the DW forum. Here's a link to a review of it.

http://www.gunblast.com/DanWesson-CommanderClassic.htm

#12 ·
Did you think of replacing the trigger mechanism in your Glock 36 with something lighter? Maybe even the barrel also to tighten up groups. I did this with a 19 and it is considerably better than stock. I bought the trigger group from Glockmeister and the barrel from Storm Lake. This would allow you to save up for the pistol you really want from Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc. and still have a suitable carry pistol for now. I speak from experience - If you don't get what you really want you are not going to be happy and are still going to be looking to upgrade - not that there's anything wrong with that.

#15 ·
Yes, I considered replacing the trigger components, I just haven't done it. I have adjusted it, and it breaks cleanly now, whereas before it had a real stiff spot right before it fired, but it will never be a single action trigger. Which is why I want to move on. I actualy looked for barrels, but the only one's I found were factory Glock replacements. And if I'm buying a barrel, I don't want the same quality I allready own :). The 36 will still be used for the dirty work, which it is more than capable.

And if I had money to burn, I would carry a Wilson or Baer, but if I have to save to buy such a firearm, chances are I will not be able to talk myself into strapping it to my back on a daily basis. The first time it got scratched I would be pissed.

#17 ·
i had a colt defender that after i fixed a few problems with it ( was a used gun) ran like a champ.

i currently carry a RIA compact off duty ( true officers size) and i paid 349 for it and i cant seem to make the thing jam!

i would never compare the RIA to the higher end pistols, but its def a good defense gun, has gone bang everytime and very much combat accurate.

my two cents

russel
SDMF

#18 · (Edited)
Just counting some of the major manufacturers, you can get Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Para, Sig or S&W 1911's in that price range. The best manufacturer depends on who you ask. You'll probably want to handle them to get a feel for what you like the best.

If you're looking for the officer frame with the 4-4.25 slide, then I think only Kimber, Sig and Para offer that from the manufacturers I've listed.

#19 ·
The Colt CCO combo of the Commander length slide/barrel
(4 1/4" ) on the Officer's size frame - add the
STI Stinger and I believe WIlson COmbat has a model
as well.

RIA is a USA company that imports their models of the
1911 built by ARMSCORPS in the PHillipines. It has a cast
frame, forged slide, built on modern computer controlled
machining etc. Customer service has good feedback on
by ontributors to the 1911Forum - it's Advanced Tactical
in Nevada. One of the CUst. Service Reps frequents the
"Other 1911s' area of the 1911Forum board. He's honest in
saying it's a good product but built to a price point. ALso said
they have improved as the line has become more popular

Randall

#20 ·
Welcome CobraChris,

The compact version of the 1911 is IMO the best option out there for concealed carry. The best of both worlds- a 4.25" barrel and an officers length grip.

I would go with either a Sig GSR or a Kimber. I prefer the Sig just a tad more due to a small degree better of fit, finish and lower cost.

What ever you go with, make sure you get all the options you want so you are not spending more cash down the road.

Here is my daily carry: A Sig GSR Compact with some modifications...

#22 ·
Welcome CobraChris,

The compact version of the 1911 is IMO the best option out there for concealed carry. The best of both worlds- a 4.25" barrel and an officers length grip.

I would go with either a Sig GSR or a Kimber. I prefer the Sig just a tad more due to a small degree better of fit, finish and lower cost.

What ever you go with, make sure you get all the options you want so you are not spending more cash down the road.

Here is my daily carry: A Sig GSR Compact with some modifications...

Thanks! I have been leaning towards the Sig. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a company out there producing an equal quality pistol, comparably equiped, for half the price. I have been around firearms all my life, but it seems like there are hundreds of manufacturers of 1911 style guns. As for Sig's, I own a fullsize 220, as well as a 226 and both shoot exceptionaly. I would go with a Colt, but for the price, the Sig probably has better quality, and comes with all the bells and whistles. I was also looking at the Smith&Wesson 1911PD, but I think I prefer the Sig over it, not to mention it comes in a nitron coated stainless, that will be a little more rust resistant. I think after doing a little more research, I can narrow it down to two sigs, either the RCS Nitron, or the Carry Nitron.

#29 ·

Just for reference: Kimber Compact CDP (Series I). 4" barrel, Short grip frame. I've had this since '00 when I bought it new. So long as I change out the recoil spring every 1000 rounds or thereabouts, it runs flawless. Stainless slide and aluminum frame, so no real worries about rust.

I just recently saw a used Kimber Stainless Compact (Series I) on EE on one of the other big gun boards for $700. That has a stainless frame without the night sights (and ambi safety IIRC). The pictures of it looked great. I don't know if it's still up for sale or not as the seller said he needed to sell it by the Friday after Thanksgiving and I was looking for a full-sized 1911.

I personally think the compact variety is the best looking of the short-barreled types as the short grip makes it look proportional to the Government models.

#30 · (Edited)
I would recommend a Springfield Loaded Champion in stainless steel. This is, effectively, a "clone" of the Combat Commander (which you like), but with a lot of "upgrades," including lowered/flared ejection port, Novak-style sights with tritium inserts (night sights), flared magazine well, extended/ambidextrous safety, etc. I have a Loaded Champion (parkerized) which is one of the first "Loaded" models, purchased new in 2000, and I have nothing but good to speak of it. It has never failed to function, is accurate, and has that great balance of a Commander. My gun was very well fit, with an excellent trigger. As a frame of reference, I owned a gun shop many years ago, and was a Colt and S&W dealer, and I have owned quite a few Colt 1911 series guns, both Government and Commander models. I will say that my Champion is equal in quality to the Colts mechanically and fit-wise, although Colt still offers beautiful bluing, which nearly no other current manufacturer offers on 1911s (of course, since you're talking Stainless, that is a moot point). The Loaded series of guns from SA offer a lot more "goodies" than the Colts, at a very similar price point. One other thing, Springfield has an outstanding reputation for customer service, warranty work, and one of the best custom shops around. I have never needed to avail myself of their lifetime warranty, but those who have almost universally heap praise on Springfield's customer service department. Their custom shop can do almost anything one would want to a 1911, and frequently applies their skills to other brands (such as Colt) for customers, again, with high praise, and at reasonable prices. I think it's worth a look.

#31 · (Edited)
Chris, IMHO the best quality commander-sized 1911 you can get for under $1000 is the Dan Wesson bobtail commander, aka the CBOB, which you can get for $928 (shipped price) from Ghostholster.com.

If you go to the Dan Wesson section of the forum, and search on the CBOB, you'll find it gets overwhelmingly positive feedback, is built with very high quality parts and attention to detail compared to most pistols in this price range.

However, with that said, IMHO if you're going to stick with the .45, it's best to go with a full 5" barrel and a traditional government model 1911. Much better odds of finding something that is reliable, and then you get the full performance and terminal ballistics out of the round, and it's really not any harder to carry. Look at a lightweight, full-sized 1911: Springfield makes them, Kimber makes them, S&W makes them. And some of the high-end, semi-custom 1911 makers also have lightweight, full-size models worth looking at. I recently bought a Springfield LW Operator for carry, and love it.

#55 ·
Sure don't find a CBOB for 928.00. Looked at the link and did not find any. Looks more like 1500.00 + to me. https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/d...sic-commander-bobtail-ccb-45acp.html?___SID=U

I have and carry a Dan Wesson Guardian and find it perfect for my needs, however is 1/3 more than your stated price range. Consider a L/W commander style for your EDC. In your range SA or Colt make LW Commanders to look at.

Hope this helps and good luck in your quest.

Ron

#33 · (Edited)
Para ord. double stack guns are a little thick for me. Thinner the better for my concealed carry gun.

I have allways liked Dan Wesson firearms, (back in the day, probably 8 years ago) I had a .44mag Dan Wesson revolver with interchangable barrels. Always shot great. I think they have changed hands since then. Either way, I'll take a look at their 1911's. Thanks!

#34 ·
I hear that the EMP in .40 S&W has a steel frame, that sounds like a nice gun and should be pretty small. I have an Officer's Series 80 that's small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.