1911Forum banner

Les Baer or Wilson.

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  nickcarr 
#1 ·
I really am not sure which group to throw this topic into Les Baer or Wilson.

Which pistol is better?

I am going to be buying two one for my wife and one for myself (I am aware that they are both bloody expensive) to carry on a daily basis, and my question which of these guys make the better product?

Patriot

------------------
"Both the oligarch and the tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
- Aristotle, "Politics"

#2 ·
Well, "better" is a very subjective word when it comes to Wilson and Baer. They both make awesome weapons, and both have let the ocassional lemon slip by. Not often, and corrective action is usually immediate. I believe both offer good value for the money.

That said, I just purchased a Baer after much deliberation similar to your own.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either choice.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 09-25-2001).]

#7 ·
Have both. The Wilson will probably be better for your wife because she may have trouble racking the Baer. They're really tight when new.

But after about 2500 rounds the Baer will really feel good.

If I had to go with one only I'd get a wilson with 463 nite sights. I prefer them to Baer's "house brand" sites.

The other issue is finish. If you like blueing go with the Baer because you're not gonna get a blued wilson. Armor tough is functional, but will chip around the ejection port and wear areas - but it won't rust like a blued gun will. Both are available hard chromed.

#8 ·
Patriot,

I started looking into 1911's around 1997 or so. I didn't know Wilson made 1911's complete, and I had never heard of LB before. But, from all of the reading of others opinions, it seems that both are generally good functioning .45's.

[I'm saying 'general' because I've heard of a few 'great' Wilson's or LBC's - as far as accuracy, reliability, etc. (There's always that guy who gets the occasional lemon too.)]

So, presuming they're both adequate on the functional side, there's one area that attracted me to LB's. When you hold them, they feel "finished." Wilson's (at least to me) seem to have a rough, raw or unfinished feel to them. I looked at a LB TRS today and it was awesome. Compared to another 1911 (unknown custom), it was a ferrari compared to a high-end toyota. The 'toyota' was $250 higher in price. (Couldn't get a straight answer from the sales guy on why...)

As always, check them out in more detail before deciding on this investment. I always recommend shooting them. Someone in your city is bound to have a Wilson and/or LBC.

However, if price is an object, then you might consider looking into Kimber or other 1911's. Kimber's are pretty solid for the buck. (The wife might appreciate a Kimber too - seems that a lot of women are liking them.)

A reminder: purchase two Wilson or LBC pistols = $2500
4000 rounds of 45 for breakin: $800
Time spent = $ ? (I'm not going to say priceless...)

Now, a couple of other 1911's: $1500
Maybe 2000 rounds of 45: $400

Hmmm...

-Nick

#10 ·
I went back and forth between a Wilson and Baer for a couple of months myself. It was between a Baer TRS and a WIlson CQB. I chose the Baer TRS because it has a metal push rod not a plastic. The CQB also has the shock buffer in it so depending on your view that is either a plus or minus. I was able to save a few dollars on the TRS versus the CQB.
My friend bought the CQB that I was looking at and we have both agreed that you cant go wrong in either case. Of course neither of us are willing to give up our respective weapons. I would never trade my TRS for his Wilson. He is fine with that though.

techo

#11 ·
A - it *was* at WSI in Bellevue. It was technically used, but NIB, someone bought it, shot it once, and they traded it in - too big or something.

I goofed and should have bought it, because it had a speed trigger installed. I didn't buy it then because it was the stainless version. [I don't like stainless for the most part.]

I went back last night to see if it was still there - NOPE!

#12 ·
Nickcarr, are you sure the gun was "stainless" or could it have been hard chrome? I didn't think Baer made the TRS in stainless, I could be wrong though. It must have been there only days, I was at WSI last Sunday and didn't see it...... I would like to have taken a look at it.

#13 ·
It depends on what size you and/or your wife want to carry. I would highly recommend the TRS for yourself, but perhaps the Wilson CQB Compact for your wife. Or the Wilson Sentinel for her. If she has a small hand, the Sentinel may be the choice because it has the thinner grip than the CQB. But for you, you'll probably come down to the choice many have--between the LB TRS and the full size Wilson CQB. Wilson makes a great gun, but the TRS has a great feel to it if you like the thin grip. And, as you can see if you read through this forum at all, the TRS has a very enthusiastic "club membership".

Now I'll throw a curveball at you...see if you can handle an Ed Brown Commander Bobtail somewhere. That's a very sweet carry piece for you. Much is personal choice. I'm glad to have both, but my first carry option out of the safe is the TRS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.