1911Forum banner

Series 70 slide on a series 80 frame?

14K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  iim1awh 
#1 ·
Ok, I a sure this has been covered but my search did not turn up the info I was looking for and since I am a 1911 rookie I thought I would just ask.

I recently purchased a mid 90's colt M1991a1 series 80.
I was planning on having the slide milled for Novak sights but I came across a great deal on a oem series 70 slide that alredy had Novak sights installed. So here is my question. I would prefer not to disable the firing pin safety on the series 80 fame so how would I go about modifying the 70 series slide to work on the non modified 80 series frame.

Thanks,

Andy

#2 ·
You could call Colt and ask if they can modify it, but I'd bet that by the time you're done with the work, you won't have saved much compared to installing the Novaks on the Series 80 slide. Or you could remove the FPS levers and just use the Series 70 slide as-is.

#3 ·
Hmmm....interesting dilema, a Series 80 receiver with S70 slide. I wonder if the plunger lever would interfere with the slide minus the plunger? I would pose this question in the Gunsmithing subforum. There are some great g'smiths that hang out there and could answer your question.

-1911Collector

#10 ·
Your repost was deleted. Not your fault, but I really wish the members here would not tell others to cross-post, because it's against forum rules.

#9 ·
That's seems to be the inevitable conclusion, and since I am going to have to go into the frame I might as well replace the plastic trigger and MSH as well as some upgraded trigger components.

Since this is my first 1911 rebuild I will take things slow and ask a lot of questions either here or over on NWFA.

Thanks again Steve.

Andyh

#13 ·
To answer the question, it would require machining to add the FP plunger hole as well as additional cuts to the slide to allow room for the lever. In other words, unless you're going to remove the FPS entirely it's really not a realistic idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.