1911Forum banner

Why not a Sig 1911?

13K views 52 replies 35 participants last post by  UrbanSI 
#1 ·
I have been a fan of the 1911s for a long time now, and have been keeping up with some of the top manufacturers out there in terms of price and offerings. Why not a Sig 1911? I saw the Tac Ops which has practically all the features a 1911 can be dawned upon, for a extremely competitive price. It's like $900 for a Sig 1911 Tac Ops. A comparable Springfield's 1911 is i suppose the Trophy Match, which is cheaper than the TRP, which is the same price as the Operators, but the cheapest trophy match i found--new and used--is around $1,100 to $1,300 on gunbroker.com (therefore TRPs are like $1,300 to $1,500, and so on :barf:). That's a huge difference!

For the same features the Tac Ops have, and a savings of over $400 dollars, why not?! I guess a good competitor, cheaper than the SA's would be Kimber's TLE/RL model, which i should add the SA's I mentioned is missing one feature for a higher premium:the picatinny rail. Kimber's TLE/RL has ALL the features comparable to Sig's Tac Ops but then is missing a good manufacturer's warranty to back it up.

There is one good reason i found throughout my researching: Sig's are not American made, therefore, not contributing to our GDP, but for $400 dollars, approximately, with all the additional features and front strap checkering the Tac Ops has, WHY NOT?!

All and any opinions feel free. My intention for my new 1911 is USPSA/IDPA. I know about the 43oz dilemma but i think recently IDPA has changed the rulebook to 43 oz. I also plan on buying STI's Spartan as a backup 1911. I currently own S&W's 4.25 scandium commander.

See less See more
#47 ·
That external extractor looks just like the extractor Sig uses on all of their P series pistols. I have and do own "a few" Sig pistols including a Sig 1911 Stainless rail and have put MANY thousand of rounds through them with out a single hickup. It works, just like most every Sig I've ever seen. Damn fine shooters all of them. I shot a P226 in IDPA and USPSA for years with out a single malfunction.

#51 ·
For the same features the Tac Ops have, and a savings of over $400 dollars, why not?! I guess a good competitor, cheaper than the SA's would be Kimber's TLE/RL model, which i should add the SA's I mentioned is missing one feature for a higher premium:the picatinny rail. Kimber's TLE/RL has ALL the features comparable to Sig's Tac Ops but then is missing a good manufacturer's warranty to back it up.

There is one good reason i found throughout my researching: Sig's are not American made, therefore, not contributing to our GDP, but for $400 dollars, approximately, with all the additional features and front strap checkering the Tac Ops has, WHY NOT?!

Well, the SIGs' factories on the east coast put them together, with a couple hundred employees, and have one of the better training Academy staffs in the world. Yes, the world. The Corporate HQs are in Germany, where most of the money goes I'd imagine, but I'd rather send some there than South America.(Brazil)

I bought a TacOps for duty after doing the same shopping; really looked hard at the S&W E-Series but they were at least $200+ more, when you could find one. I ended up with the TacOps, 5 mags, holster, no shipping or CC fees for $900. Now I'm shopping the Scorpion Carry with TB.....ugh. :hrm:

#52 ·
I've been reading the Sig forum and I really appreciate the comments and experiences.

I had to sell my beloved Valtro about 7 years ago due to hardships and I just don't see myself buying another one.

So - I've been looking for a good 1911 at a great price and from everything I've read, I think it's made by Sig.

The external extractor put me off at first, but I'm over it and I plan on buying a 5" Nightmare in a couple months.

It seems like an ideal gun for me - I have large hands and I really like the feel and it seems to have what I want in a CHL piece as well as potential for dabbling in some local practical shooting events.

Can anyone speak to how well the Sigs feed LSWC rounds? I used to hand load those a lot and my Valtro ate 'em up but I understand not all guns like those.

#53 ·
^^^ I shoot a large amount of lead through my tac ops, mostly ball but I have shot about 500 rounds of LSWC. No feeding issues with my current firearm but this was only after having dialed in my particular loads. My LSWC loads are a copy off of the H.G #68 molds seated flush to the hood of my barrel. Accuracy is fantastic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.