1911Forum banner

Portable generator recommendation

6K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  LoboGunLeather 
#1 · (Edited)
Lost power for two days here last Sun and Mon (as did 350,000 other poor schmucks) due to a wicked storm, and had to stay in a hotel because my apartment got hot as balls. I didn't lose much refrigerated food since I mostly eat out, but I thought about investing in a generator and portable 110 AC unit for any future outages. However, I'm not sure which brand to go with. My buddy recommended Honda, but the ones I looked at in the wattage I wanted (5500+) were like four THOUSAND dollars!! Granted, they were electronic fuel injected models which eliminate long-term fuel storage issues, but that's still a HUGE chunk of scratch for my meager income.

I saw both a Generac and a Briggs and Stratton in that wattage range for around $850. Are they good choices?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. Also, since a giant, uprooted tree blocked my driveway I was also thinking about getting a chainsaw and could use a recommendation on that as well.

#2 ·
Can't make a specific recommendation but Honda , Yamaha are always top rated, I have a Makita myself which I have barely used which seems very high quality. I don't know the term but be sure to get one that returns to idle when not under a load. As far as chainsaws Stihl , which I own, seems to be always rated well.

#3 ·
I purchased a Generac 10k/8k two years ago at Lowes for $1100. Plenty of juice to run all necessary appliances.

Look up wattage charts for home appliances and decide what you find necessary to run when power goes down. You'll be able to calculate the size you need. Mine will not run the HVAC, but I have two portable fans for cooling, and gas logs for heat.

Whichever model you choose, be sure to get the needed power cords made of thicker gauge wires. Expensive up front for 10 or 12 gauge, but it's what you'll need coming from the generator before splitting out to applicances. 14 or 16 gauge cords to the lights, tv, coffee maker, etc. will be fine.

#4 ·
Harbor freight - Go buy a Predator model , the motors run well and as a generator they do what you need . But be wise about your power - watt need needs as a gas generator can eat some gallons of gas in a couple days and maybe change the carb to a duel fuel as HF sells those too !! Nice to have the option to run on propane for longer term use needs specially if gas becomes hard to pump do to power outage . Way better on the engine too .

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gasoline-generators.html

Chainsaw - Stihl Iuse a 38 year old stihl 028 wood boss We bought new . It starts after only a couple pulls still .

Stihl has a fathers day deal on a MS170 with a 16" bar for $179.95 and that may fill any needs you have just go easy on big timber . Run a good full synthetic oil for your pre mix to reduce starting issues over the years .

#5 · (Edited)
Most of the generators are made in China regardless of the make...for an apartment, 5500 should be enough but mine is a 10k. Get one with electric start, makes life easier.
Chainsaw, stihl has good saws, grab an extra blade or 2.
Power outages suk, we had 2-3 here that lasted 1 week.
Hope you get back up and running soon.

Almost forgot: Get extra gas cans, I’ve got 5-6....generators are worthless without gas...;). And getting gas is tough when areas go down.

#36 ·
^^Good advice right here^^

Gas cans for sure! When the power is out the gas pumps stop working!

I recommend buying a generator that has greater output than you think is your minimum. Running any piece of equipment at or near its limits is never a good idea; having a little more capacity allows us to work our machines with less stress over the long haul.

Another suggestion is using deep cycle batteries for back-up power. I started some years ago with a 100AH 12V deep cycle battery, 800W power inverter 12VDC-to-120VAC, 50W PV solar panel with 12V charge controller, all mounted on a hand cart for easy storage and moving around. Used that for camping for years, running LED lights, powering cell phones, running the Mr. Coffee machine, etc. Few years ago the power went out during a Super Bowl game while I was at my club. I ran home, brought my cart there, fired up the TV and cable box for several hours (making me the most popular guy in the club, never had to buy a beer for weeks!).

Later on I purchased a camp trailer with two 12V deep cycles on board, 2000W power inverter, so I added my existing set-up and 200W capacity of PV solar panels. That ran the blower on my forced air furnace, stereo, lights, coffee maker, etc, all I wanted and a few hours of sunlight returned me batteries to full charge (or just fire up my truck and recharge via the wiring harness plugged into the truck, takes about 30 minutes or so when the sun isn't working so well).

Now with the camper parked next to my house I can run good 10-ga. extension cord into the house and take care of emergency lighting, furnace blower, and other necessities. Works well for overnight, then solar charging next morning if needed, or plug into my truck and recharge rapidly.

I have not used my generator for several years other than test runs twice per year.

#6 ·
Portable or semi-portable generators are now available that run on dual fuel. Semi-Portable to me means it will roll on wheels but weigh too much to be loaded in a pick up even with two strong people. To load the big ones, use an engine hoist or overhead pulley/winch device. I speak of this because I own one. Size matters. They are usually rated with two numbers; running and peak watts. These big numbers are quickly reduced to amps by dividing by voltage....the amps will allow you figure out what you can run. Long, small gauge extension cords are your enemy. Buy big watts, get many amps. Buy dual fuel and be glad later. Propane is easier to store and doesn’t get old and screw up carburetors. To get the A/C on line, have a licensed electrician tap into your breaker box, run a 220 receptacle to a covered patio. Have him explain how to open the commercial service main breaker and close the generator input circuit. You’ll need to shed (open) all circuits to the house, then close them individually after your generator is on line. By closing them individually, you avoid spiking the load. Grab that A/C 220 breaker and close it, that’s when you are reminded the cost was worth it! I know this because I was cool last weekend when the power went off. You can get a dual power big enough to stay cool for $1200 and my electrician charged me $220 for the work. You will need the special, as short as possible umbilical cord between the generator and your breaker panel input. You can keep the refer and freezer running with a small generator but you ain’t gonna stay cool with one.

#8 ·
Husqvarna or Sthil on the saw. We run both an MS310 as well as a Husqvarna 372XP and 3120XP. I would find a name brand saw, not a box store Poland, that will pull at least a 16” bar and chain, and do some cutting with it to familiarize yourself before you need it in an emergency. As far generators, use use a 5k watt champion for power outages, but I really only use it to keep my freezer and fridge going and a few fans. You can find calculators online to determine the size you need. Make sure to keep plenty of fuel on hand, use a fuel stabilizer and rotate it routinely so that it’s fresh when you need it

#9 ·
I don’t think you can really go wrong with any generator for such intermittent use. I’ve had all kinds of makes/models and they all work until you mistreat them. As others have said, just buy what fits wattage wise what you need to do.

A tip on electric start models. I’ve found a good atv or motorcycle battery is much more reliable with intermittent use than the junk they come with or the ones for mowers etc.

Electric start rocks until it’s been 5 years since it’s run and the battery is toast.

I couldn’t in good conscience recommend anything but a Stihl saw.

#10 ·
Generac and LG portable drainless AC. Refurbs(AC) sell cheap on ebay. What about fumes and gas and cord storage? Stihl chain saw. I also have a 4400 watt chinese dual fuel electric start one I bought new off ebay. About $300 and has never failed to run. Good luck.

best
jr

#11 · (Edited)
YES, Stihl is the only chainsaw to consider! ....and just like the generator, things of this nature MUST be maintained if you expect them to perform in time of need. I run my generator and put a load on it monthly. I try to run the chainsaw quarterly but some time fall behind.. keep spare chains. They are not forever items. If you are new to chainsaws, know they can be one of the most dangerous tools you can buy! They can kill you as fast as you can bleed out. Just because you saw/see someone do something dumb with one don’t think you can. Remember, you will eventually need a sledge and wedge. Most folks who own chainsaws might loan you their car but never a chainsaw unless you also own one!

#12 ·
Most of us with wells have a generator. No power equals no toilet. Nor water for the horses or dogs. Many websites have recommended wattage for what you need to run. Most well pumps are 220v. Ours is so we had a disconnect installed for the well pump and we hook the pump up to the generator with a HD 220v cable. Rest of the 110v stuff we run with extension cords plugged into the generator.

We have a Honda EB 6500X and two Stihl chainsaws.

#13 ·
Some questions for the OP. You said you live in an apartment. 1st 2nd or 3rd floor? Running a generator on a 2nd floor balcony will sound like a freight train.

Do you have a way to secure the generator so it does not walk away? After hurricane charley many were stolen right out of peoples driveways.

Have you thought about the noise? You may be buttoned up in your room with a window unit while your neighbors are sweating to death with the windows open listening to your generator.

Without knowing the layout of your residence these were just a few things that came to mind.

Now back to your original question. Predator from HF and Stihl .

Always buy the most wattage you can afford.

#33 · (Edited)
Honda was recommended for the EFI and quiet operation as it WILL be on my balcony. But, truth-be-told, I don't give a rats ass about my neighbors...most are dope-smoking monkeys that stink up my apartment with their skunk weed coming through the ventilation system, and wake my ass up with their hibbity-jibbity music booming out their "whips" as they drive through the lot. Fu*k em. As soon as my lease is up I'm moving to Ft Worth.

I have an attached 2-car garage for gas/generator storage.

I just want to be able to run an AC window/portable unit, an oscillating fan and some lights.

#15 ·
For minimal noise I'd go with a Honda Inverter. It will take the bite out of a grand but they run quiet, run like a Honda, and can be carried around like a suitcase(easy to store) Sportsman's Warehouse sometimes has sales(the only place I've them on sales), which should help with the sticker shock.

I had a Coleman for years and it went through a lot of abuse on the ranch (it lived under flipped over galvanized water trough when not in use for weather protection and to camoflauge from thieves) but it was loud In the middle of 5 acre pasture that was OK, on an apartment balcony or even on a city lot, no mas!

#16 ·
We used a Honda 3000 watt for Katrina (10 days) and Gustof (11 days) straight. Only shutting down for an oil change about half way through.
If you have any thought of powering any electronics, get something with the inverter.
Portable is a tough line to draw, I don’t think I would go any smaller wattage than what I have, 2 guys can carry mine but not far. Look at what you “need” to power and what you would “like” to power; pick something in between.
As for a chainsaw, you can’t go wrong with Stihl. Get something 1 size bigger than you think you will ever need. The longer the bar, the more cutter teeth, the longer the time between sharpening. There is no substitute for power,

#19 ·
#21 ·
It is, but they usually tack on $$ for that feature.
For once in a blue moon scenario, pull start is just fine, as long as people remember that the pull cords do need to be maintained, as they can dry rot and snap off on a pull.

Also to note, some have 120/240, and some are just 120. If you dont need 240 then do not get that feature.

The dual-fuel item I posted, even has a 12vdc output for charging batteries, geared towards automotive/RV items, etc.

#22 ·
Love the Honda small gas engines -- power washer, lawn mower, small tiller. I Have a walk-behind brush hog over 20 years old with a 15HP Kawasaki that still rocks.

That said, I feel your sticker shock on the larger Honda Generators, likely the best gasoline solutions from efficiency and noise level -- I ended up with a cheaper Dewalt (Chinese Briggs & Stratton) for the house with electric start. It works, but it is loud. Regardless, buy one with fuel shut-off valve and run it dry after use to keep the carburetor clean & dry during storage.

I'm a Husqvarna 2-cycle guy for chainsaw, 22" Bar. Over time, my leaf blower, pole saw, etc. have come to sport the Husqvarna label. Most of my buddies have Stihls -- I don't think they make them like they used to. I think if you can budget into the $4-500+ range, you'll have a serious tool with either brand, rather than the cheapest models available at the big box stores.

A family member has a 1970's vintage Stihl (28" bar, capable of 36" -- I think 72 CC which indeed rocks!

Finally, I've become a believer in the full synthetic 2 cycle oils. Consider premium gas and/or Sta-bil for intermittent use equipment.

#23 ·
Whatever you get, remember that AC is 50-AMP, and most all home generators are only 30-AMP. Generator sellers don't advertise this. I have a 7k Watt continuous (30AMP) Honda that powers most everything except the AC, and it gets used at least once a year.

#24 ·
??

Plenty of small AC units that are 120v, which usually means 20A or less. The ~13k btu units on wheels will run at about 120v 5-10A.

And, most HVAC condenser units do not run at 50A, they are just on a 240v50A ckt to accommodate inrush start amps.

#25 ·
I can’t make any recommendations on a generator.

I did just get back from the Ligna show in Germany (pretty much anything to do with wood; from forestry to biomass burners for energy).

Watching the lumberjack competitions was very impressive. Still and Husqvarna were well represented (Husqvarna won the competion I saw-the Stihl threw a chain).

My brother and father love their Stihls, and I swear by my Husqvarna. I don’t think you can do badly with either if you stay away from the entry level units. I’d still stick with the Husky, though.

#26 · (Edited)
When I Retired, I did owner/Builder on our House.... I had the Electrician install a disconnect switch on the Meter Can. This on/ off switch is used when running a generator so when the Power comes back on , it doesn’t back feed and cause a fire or shock anyone working on restoring power.

I also had him install a 220 outlet on the Garage wall with a Circuit breaker in the panel that when the Breaker is On, it backfeeds the panel and I can choose what to power up.

FYI, before they attempt to re-connect, they shoot power down the line first that will short out your generator and prevent injury to their workers.

ALWAYS keep the Genset OUTSIDE when in use, some people don’t realize carbon monoxide can get in thru the garage. I had built a Plywood roof, two sides and a roof, to keep the rain off the Genset.

Reference Generators, Honda is top of the line. For a apt. /Small house, the 3K will run your fridge, fans, lights, They are Invertor generators which means they put out power evenly without surges, so your electronics can be used

For larger needs, like a House on a well, you need a minimum 5K . I bought a Coleman Powermate 20 years ago. It has a Yamaha single cyclinder cast iron 9 hp motor. Rated @ 5500.

We lived on this Generator for 2 weeks in 2004 when 3 Hurricanes in a row came thru.The key here is maintenance and fuel availability.

The bigger the gen set, the more fuel it uses. Mine would run all of 12 hours on a single tank, 5 gallons... It powered the pump(220) the Refrigerator, paddle fans lights and a window shaker a/c. ( not all at once)

For cooking, we used a Coleman gas stove, out on the screened porch.. Have to have my Coffee.
The tough part is hot water. When there’s no hot water, the Girls get evil... I flipped off all the circuit breakers, and turned on the one for the Water Heater and ran it a couple hours.....Hot water=happy Girls.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Neighbor next door has Kubota Diesel generator and large Diesel tank in a Quonset building.

That or whole house generator for extended use.

I had plenty of oil and changed it out and serviced the air fillter and used Stabil in the fuel. Generator sat in the shop until Irma...No power. Flipped disconnect on meter can, drug Gen. over to driveway, put fuel in and it started on 3rd pull...Making preps, getting power cable, etc. my neighbor called asking me if that was my Generator. I advised it was, and he advised Power was back.

Oh well, at least I know it still works. After it started and puffed out blue smoke, I plugged a drop light into the 110 outlet and it came on... the blue smoke was from putting oil into the cylinder and pulling the starter rope with spark plug out.

Bottom line... Buy the best you can afford, but be advised, the bigger you get the more Fuel it uses. A Quiet generator is much less likely to be stolen and people usually chain them down. Whatever you get, preventative maintenance is the key to longevity.

Also, and this is important, Do Not buy/ use regular gasoline. Get NON- Ethanol 90 Octane.. yes ,it more expensive, but it doesn’t attract moisture and doesn’t eat the rubber parts in your fuel system, which is the biggest cause of problems in small engines. I went to NAPA and replaced all fuel lines.

Reference Chain saws, I’ve got a Stihl that’s cut down and cut up lots of trees.

#27 ·
This is what I have.

Completely satisfied with it. I run a fifty amp cable into my breaker box and I run my whole house. Burns a little more than one gallon per hour of diesel in my tractor. At any given time I generally have anywhere from 300 to 500 gallons of diesel on hand at any given time

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36914_36914

#28 ·
My first, and so far only, generator was a small Champion 3500/4000. Put in about a half tank of gas with Stabil, ran it and put it away. Once, to twice, a year, I would haul it out, run it for about 5 minutes, then turn off the fuel valve and let it run dry. Thing ran like a top, even with the original fuel. I ended up giving it to my son when his power went out for 4 days.
So, now I am in the market for another one. I'm probably going to go up in size. I have a dual pack A/C, and a cooler. So, I can pick or choose what I can use for cooling. The A/C needs about 7000 watts, while the cooler would need much less. However, the heater part of the A/C dual pack wouldn't draw much power so I may have to use that during cold spells.
PG&E has put the word out that in bad weather conditions, they will be depowering their transmission lines, to prevent fires. Some towns have been told that they may be out of power for up to 5 days. While I don't think that would happen here, it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
So, I am looking for something to handle the TV, fridge, chest freezer(probably needs to be only run for a short time once a day), cooler/dual pack. A 7000 would probably suffice, but still working that out.

#29 ·
Lets not forget the context of the OP's request.

He said:
because my apartment got hot as balls
Large whole house items, 7-10kW singles, probably are too big for apartment use.

A small Predator and a 12kBTU portable AC unit should suffice for escaping the heat during a power outage. The place probably also has city water which never goes dead on psi, so even a portable swamp cooler will help as long as the air is not super humid. Heck, you can hang thin towels from shower curtain rod and wet them, then have a fan blow on them, this will reduce air temps, but wont cool a whole apartment.

As they say, many ways to be creative, and the more lazy and intolerant we are, the more $$ you need to throw at the problem ;)

#30 ·
I picked up a one owner, older Hobart gas engine powered welder for $400. It’s a 100% duty cycle, 4,000 watt generator. We lost power for over 7 days in a freak snow storm. It kept or fridge and freezer going. I have a Coleman 3500 watt generator to run my Keurig coffee maker. I need my coffee fix every morning before I get grumpy.

#31 ·
Love it. In the midst of outage you opt to make sure your Keurig has juice. Nothing wrong with that.

Many years ago when power would be out for days I was accustomed to blankets, fireplace, candles, and a perk pot on a mini Coleman stove ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.