1911Forum banner

What are the finer point of Les Baer 1911's

11K views 54 replies 36 participants last post by  LiveHand 
#1 · (Edited)
What are the finer points of Les Baer 1911's

I've owned Colt's and Springfield's but I've never own an Les Baer. What you please bring me up to speed on them. I'm looking at a TR model or Custom Carry.

#37 ·
Hey Line Rider,
Has it really been two years since your first question was asked? Oh well....my 2 cents worth.....Like most on this site, I have a choice between make and models of 1911's in my gun safe....got Springers and Colts as well as Browns, Wilsons and Baers....and others too. The one I pick up every day? The humble Baer PII. Shoots straight as a laser and cycles every time. And, it's the same PII that I've been picking up and carrying every day for almost the last 20 years. I'm not saying that you should choose what I choose....but, when men have a choice and keep picking up their Baers, it says something. Anyway....you're paying the freight on your next 1911....your choice. Take care.

#39 ·
I've owned Wilsons and NHCs as well as baers, nothing shoots as well as a baer.

One interesting new find is the Dan Wesson line. While not quite as accurate as a Baer, they are every bit as good as the others for even less than a Baer. I'm really impressed by them. RZ45 is about $1200 retail.

Don

#40 ·
dcmdon, I have to really disagree. Have you seen dan wesson prices lately. Yikes. Ive seen valors going for 1900+. I will pick a baer over a wesson any day.

#45 · (Edited)
I agree that some models, like the valor have gotten way up there. But stupid people are willing to pay huge premiums for the perceived benefit of a forged vs cast frame.

The real values are the RZ45 and the Pointman 7. Just like Baers, all the DWs are built by the same people to the same standards from American parts by Americans. Just like the Baers, the lower priced models are the real value.

Here's a used Pointman on GB with a buy it now price of $900.
Its a steal compared to the Brazilian or Philippine gun you get from other major manufacturers for the same price.

Like I said above, I recently sold a new RZ-45 to a customer for a bit less than $1200. I made a reasonable profit and he got a great gun for a decent price.

If you look above, you will see that in the posts before mine, people were floating the idea of a TRP. My point was mainly to offer a better, lower priced alternative to the TRP. If you've got $1600 to spend, just buy a Baer and be done with it. You'll never regret it. If you have $1000 to spend, get a used DW.

Above all, don't get me wrong. My PII is the finest handgun I've ever owned. My point is mainly that if you can't afford a baer, or don't want to, the DW is a great value for a few hundred less. I would put a DW against my Nighthawk as far as how well they shoot. The other thing I like about the DWs is that like the Les Baers, they are more traditional looking. They aren't all softened and melted like so many other 1911s.

#44 ·
Dan Wesson guns are not hand fit to the level LB's are. They admit they are machine cut to a tight tolerance and most parts are rarely if at all hand fit. Although they are good, id place them in the SA TRP area, which is not near a BAER.

#51 ·
Just like mine! When I start putting rounds downrange, I'll usually shoot between 3 to 4 hundred rounds at a time. The Baer just keeps running. All I do is clean it ocassionally to keep things servicable and change out the recoil sprin every so often. Simply great pistols.

#47 ·
True. Wessons back in the day were a phenominal value, but once you go custom its hard to go back to factory. I would rather just save and go baer. Even if it takes a year.

#48 ·
The fact that every part of the gun is numbered and is traceable, which converts back to ownership and pride in manufacture is just one other little tidbit to chew on.

#49 ·
Accuracy....

I thought I loved my Springfield Loaded. Still do really, but....

Pic is my UTC and my Springer against a target I did a comparison on (no comments on the mediocre shooting please!)

Baer on the right, Loaded on the left (don't blame the Loaded for that low flyer, that was all me:hrm:).

12 yards, American Eagle 230 gr FMJ. I had run 2 mags through each pistol to warm up both me and the barrels. Then I ran one 8 round mag through each gun. Baer group is about 1/2 the size of the Loaded group.

I know I could have somehow possibly "willed" the Baer to shoot better, but I doubt it with my mediocre shooting skills!:biglaugh:

And I know about "combat accuracy" vs. paper accuracy. But no matter how badly I shoot, the Baer is just more accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.