1911Forum banner

Has this feed ramp been altered?

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  OM44 
#1 ·
This is SA 1911-A1 from early to mid 90s. I just bought the gun a few months ago NM112***. It seems almost in unfired condition, but it is having at least 1, 3 point hang up from every magazine I own. I just tap the slide to make it to into battery and it will run fine until the next hang up. The ramp looks like it has been throated. Factory or amateur, I'm not sure, but it looks to be a bit less than the 1/32" ledge than required. Asking for opinions on the picture.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
What kind of hangup is happening? Is the new round mostly in the chamber, but the slide doesn't completely go into battery? Or is the round sticking on something that causes it to hang up mostly out of the chamber?

The frame ramp and the barrel ramp look like some polishing has taken place, but nothing out of the ordinary.

#4 ·
The round hangs up to keep the slide out of battery with the round almost in. I'm not sure, but if the ramp is fine, maybe the extractor is tight?

#5 · (Edited)
If it only needs a tap to put itself in battery then the extractor or the cartridge is almost certainly what's hanging it up. Show us a photo of the extractor claw's hook, bevels and finish. OR - just remove the extractor and see if it chambers rounds 100% without needing any "bumps". The ramp looks good.

#6 ·
Agreed that it smells like an extractor problem. It's possible that someone over-bent it and now it's too hard for the round to get under the hook.

However, the previous recommendation to put in a new recoil spring is also a good one. Whenever I buy used semi-autos, I immediately change all the springs to factory original weight. You never know what Bubba did before you owned it.

#8 ·
The older Springfields had a GI feed ramp. The one I owned (1990 vintage) had a ramp like yours and was also finicky until I had a local gunsmith widen the feedramp in typical modern fashion.

#11 ·
Google: "1911 three point jam" If the simplest most obvious ideas don't work for this gun.

There are several extensive articles from previous threads from this forum and similar forums.

Smiles,

#14 ·
It is a 2 piece barrel, so that could be a seam.

#16 ·
I used 2 Wilson 500 magazines today with the SA today. Both of them were able to function flawlessly, I'm not sure if it was the magazines or working in the extractor that made it work. I had the gun chambered in the safe for about a month.

#18 ·
If all you have to do is tap on the slide to get it to chamber the round,
then I believe all you need is a new recoil spring.

I had the same problem with my Metro Arms Commander. I replaced the
recoil spring with a Wolf spring and no more failure to feed jams.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.