1911Forum banner

IDPA classifiers

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  JKRacing 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you have to wear a cover garment when shooting a classifier?

#4 ·
Nope cover garment required, all you will need is a minimum of 90 rounds a holster and 2 mag carriers and 3 magazine. Good Luck....Remember 1-1-2-1-1. Have fun.

#7 ·
I definitely will have fun... this is only the second event I have been to so it should be a decent indicator of my skill at this point. Last time I shot a 45 so this time I am going to take an XDm 9mm and see how that works. Thanks for the help!

#20 ·
This is very common at the beginning. You may feel like you have to go fast, but the scoring suggests otherwise. Let your sights determine your speed. Relax, and just get your hits. It's actually a pretty fun little course of fire.
I have been working on shooting faster at the square range. By shooting faster I mean trying to pick the sights up faster and manage recoil a bit better. I need to find a way to stay calm and find my own pace.

#21 ·
I have been working on shooting faster at the square range. By shooting faster I mean trying to pick the sights up faster and manage recoil a bit better. I need to find a way to stay calm and find my own pace.
The sights are your gas pedal. As long as you are seeing them, hit it.

eerw told me that long ago.

#16 ·
As far as I know the times were set by shooting the classifier without concealment. By wearing concealment you are adding quite a bit to your time that doesn't reflect your true skills. There are 14 draws in the classifier I believe. Concealment adds probably half a second to each draw so that's 7 seconds right there. I don't think it's fair to other competitors in the lower classes if you purposely handicap yourself and end up in a lower class.

Then again someone could just purposely miss a couple of shots on the classifier and end up classed lower too.

#22 ·
My times are reflected as true rather than skewed by not wearing concealment.

As I said earlier, we play the game using concealment.

I think that someone who classified as low SS with the classifier and no concealment really is a high MM playing the game with concealment, therefore the classifier times with the concealment garment on are true.

#24 ·
NOt wearing concealment

My times are reflected as true rather than skewed by not wearing concealment.
Your times may be true if you were shooting a self defense sceanrio, but the Classifier is a drill, and is used as a standard to judge performance.

If you prefer to wear a cover garment to stay "true" to the sport, that is fine, however, a cover garment will add extra time to your score, and some may think you are sand bagging, which I am sure is not your intent.

Wearing a cover garment will add more time to your Classifier score....if you are within 3 seconds of moving up to a higher Classification, then you are not shooting to your full potential, and may be unintentionally sand bagging.

Some like to wear a cover garment to store a mag for the reload with retention on Stage 3. I like the way Dave Sevigny does a RWR, which is to tuck it in the waistband then slide the hand back to the fresh mag. I use this technique quite often, and it is faster for me. There really isn't any good reason for wearing concealment when you are doing a drill, which is merely a "standard" to judge shooting performance for various techniques and different distances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.