1911Forum banner

IDPA classifiers

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  JKRacing 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you have to wear a cover garment when shooting a classifier?

#4 ·
Nope cover garment required, all you will need is a minimum of 90 rounds a holster and 2 mag carriers and 3 magazine. Good Luck....Remember 1-1-2-1-1. Have fun.

#7 ·
I definitely will have fun... this is only the second event I have been to so it should be a decent indicator of my skill at this point. Last time I shot a 45 so this time I am going to take an XDm 9mm and see how that works. Thanks for the help!

#16 ·
As far as I know the times were set by shooting the classifier without concealment. By wearing concealment you are adding quite a bit to your time that doesn't reflect your true skills. There are 14 draws in the classifier I believe. Concealment adds probably half a second to each draw so that's 7 seconds right there. I don't think it's fair to other competitors in the lower classes if you purposely handicap yourself and end up in a lower class.

Then again someone could just purposely miss a couple of shots on the classifier and end up classed lower too.

#22 ·
My times are reflected as true rather than skewed by not wearing concealment.

As I said earlier, we play the game using concealment.

I think that someone who classified as low SS with the classifier and no concealment really is a high MM playing the game with concealment, therefore the classifier times with the concealment garment on are true.

#24 ·
NOt wearing concealment

My times are reflected as true rather than skewed by not wearing concealment.
Your times may be true if you were shooting a self defense sceanrio, but the Classifier is a drill, and is used as a standard to judge performance.

If you prefer to wear a cover garment to stay "true" to the sport, that is fine, however, a cover garment will add extra time to your score, and some may think you are sand bagging, which I am sure is not your intent.

Wearing a cover garment will add more time to your Classifier score....if you are within 3 seconds of moving up to a higher Classification, then you are not shooting to your full potential, and may be unintentionally sand bagging.

Some like to wear a cover garment to store a mag for the reload with retention on Stage 3. I like the way Dave Sevigny does a RWR, which is to tuck it in the waistband then slide the hand back to the fresh mag. I use this technique quite often, and it is faster for me. There really isn't any good reason for wearing concealment when you are doing a drill, which is merely a "standard" to judge shooting performance for various techniques and different distances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.