1911Forum - View Single Post - "The Last Ship" TV series.
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Well... I'm a stickler to the portrayal of natural physical laws and plausible new technology in the near future. What I don't like is the creative license found in so many sci-fi TV series especially the genre known as 'space opera' where they have warp speed, teleportation and all sorts of space travel that just doesn't fit into what we know is possible. I never warmed up to Star Trek, but I did like Stanley Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey, and I see that 1968 movie as the granddaddy of plausible science fiction. All else is just fantasy.

In the expanse I like the way they treat 'burn and flip'. That is when the engine is burn, and it accelerates at approximately 1 g, then they shut the engine down, flip and decelerate at 1 g. That gives a correct portrayal of how an artificial gravity could be generated in deep space. Then they also make use of the centripetal gravitational field generated by a spinning space station like in Kubrick's 2001. What I hate is the portrayal of artificial gravity by some magical force field like in Star Trek, Star Wars, and all the other sci-fi's devoid of the known laws of physics.

The one thing that "Expanse" takes liberty with is that ion or nuclear engine that seems to be able to have relative unlimited propulsion from a small mass of fuel. But it is possible that in the near future we will get away from combustible fuels, i.e. expanding gases as a form of propellant. In fact, deep space exploration will be dependent entirely on a future improvement on the mode of propulsion.

The other thing that "Expanse" took liberty with, was the gravity field on the asteroids. Those asteroids very likely only have a minute gravity, something on the order of 1/100 of a G. So the scenes where the Belters were walking around on a asteroid station, as well as some of the small outer moons of Jupiter, just wasn't consistent with extreme low gravity, but then, it would be very difficult to film a realistic scene with dozens of Belters in a common room where the gravity is but 1/100 of a G. They would be bouncing all over the place.

Anyhow... their treatment of gravity and laws of physics was much better than in other 'space opera' style tv shows and movies.

But what turned me off was the protomolecule. I haven't watch the last season when amazon picked up the series. I will watch it at some point.
I'm not a scientist, so I don't watch science fiction with that much attention to detail. If the activity sounds at least logical to my small mental capacity, then I'm OK with it. As an example, I refused to go and see the Angelina Jolie movie "Wanted" because of the previews showing her supposedly causing a discharged bullet leaving the barrel of her gun to twist and curve in trajectory by twisting her wrist at the second of firing was totally illogical and downright stupid.

I can buy science fiction depicting transporters and warp speed space flight (but, even I wonder about traveling at faster than light speed, or even anywhere near light speed; what prevents your ship from flying through all kinds of asteroids, and anything else floating around in the vastness of space, causing your ship to be damaged or completely destroyed).

But, as I mentioned, season 1 of "The Expanse" had that bit where they had the criminal gang members given police badges and controlling the workers after the criminal gang had previously murdered one of the police officers. That I didn't buy. The second season was much better and I started enjoying the series at that point. I have season 3 on blu-ray disc and will be watching it between this shelter in place nonsense and the summer TV programming void.

Last edited by INV136; 03-24-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Extra info