1911Forum banner

22 TCM Barrel Swap into 1911?

42K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Steam Boat 
#1 ·
Question is: could a 22 TCM barrel be swapped into a full-size single stack RIA 9mm 1911?
I'm guess in the magazine would be the same.
If it could work, I wonder if Armscor would sell just the barrel?

#2 ·
From what I've read the magazine for the .22 TCM isn't dimensionally the same as a standard P-18 mag and one forum member mentioned having to make certain that 9mm rounds were seated far enough back to ensure proper feeding. I could be mistaken, perhaps a modification might be in order. I just don't know since it's such a new cartridge.

#6 · (Edited)
the 22 tcm round has a cartridge OAL that is 1.265 inch
a 9mm round is COAL of 1.150

The tcm round will only feed and function in the P18 38 super mag and it (the p18 mag)will also conveniently hold the 9mm in the tcm with 9mm barrel.

so to answer the OP's question ,No the 22 tcm barrel will not work on a single stack 9mm the rounds won't fit in the mag

the frame of the tcm is a A2 hi capacity .
the pistol comes with a light weight recoil spring for the 22 barrel and a heavier spring for the 9mm barrel
and the current production tcm pistols only come with 1 extractorr that works for both the 22tcm and 9mm as the rims are almost the same
a 22 tcm rim is .375 diameter and a 9mm rim is .390

the 22 tcm case is new brass from armscor , but originally it was a wildcat cartridge made from a .223 remington case that was cut down and renecked ;)

#7 ·
Information is appreciated. I've been wondering if the mag was proprietary to the round or if it used a like mag with another cartridge. Guess that answers my question. I knew the COAL is too long for standard 9mm mags.

I've read about the genesis of the .22 TCM, fascinating little round (to me) and the man behind designing it, a Mr. Fred Craig. Pretty damn interesting (once again, if you're me) read. I also like the .22 Mig rifle he makes-in theory-and that Armscor manufactures as well. Pretty cool to see a guys innovations take shape and then hit the market. If you look at his website you can see he's had a bit o' influence at RIA as well http://atomitronx.com/products.html

#13 ·
The slide starts to fit but the ejector is slightly different. From the side it's the same shape but looking lengthwise it's wider and doesn't clear the channel in the slide. It looks like the 22TCM ejector would work for the 38Super which would allow the swap but I'm not going to be trying it anytime soon. I took some pictures but you really can't tell much from them. If I can get better ones later I will try to post them. Sorry for stringing together 3 posts for this, I probably should have waited and made a single post.

#21 ·
Just a quick query. What's the build quality like overall? Interesting piece, almost want one just to have it. Though my budget won't allow for it for at least another year or two and there are other guns I want more, so you'd best make it two to three years. I would like to get into the IDPA/ISPC scene eventually even it'll be a bit of a drive after school. Be a good platform if it could be easily turned into a .38 Super.

Also, getting into gunsmithing it'd be fun to make one in a Commander length, though to be honest my imagination has always run a little wild and I keep thinking a CCO sized 10mm would be a wild little beast to cook up as well...maybe a carry comp style, you get the idea, big dreams from an itty-bitty mind. I even had the question of a .38 Super conversion for the .22 TCM the minute I read about it, just glad to see I'm not the only one. It's why I'm so in love with the 1911. I can look at one and see a dozen-dozen possibilities before me instead of just another mass produced, cookie-cutter designed firearm.

#27 · (Edited)
Ok, not trying to hijack here and dont have an answer about the 9MM FS or 38 Super question. Thats said, I just picked up a new TCM on Monday and yesterday I spoke at length with Fred Craig. So, I have a some insight into some of the comments and questions you guys made.

First off, the questions about overall build quality of RIA TCM, my comment would be that its about like all RIA's current production 'higher end' guns, that is decent fit/finish, a bit loose, some minor tool marks but nothing offensive. I think they are well made for the price. My particular gun has a good trigger, much better than both my Springfield Armory's came with but not as good as my Kimber or SIG's. The adjustable novak style rear sight is nicely made, slide to frame fit is decent, the grips are a bit rough, I would very much like RIA to offer a set of premium replacement grips.

Second, re the 22TCM cartridge and talking to Fred. He said that the MicroMag was a "pilot program" to develop the RIA TCM and that he is not making very many now. He also said the gun was built as a 22TCM from the ground up and that the 9MM barrel fit can be a bit loose and accuracy challengeing, it works, but a dedicated 9MM pistol is going to turn in better accuracy generally speaking, though a few TCM's have been very accurate with the 9MM barrel. He also noted that extractor tension is key with the
22TCM rim and that a specific tension is required for optimal function, its not as forgiving as most 45ACP pistols re extraction. Ammo is avialable through him but at this time the only readily avialable load is the 40gr SJHP Armscor load, though his stuff is sized in his die sets and very consistent. He spoke of other things, but he was pretty clear he was not intrerested in advertising anything at this time because nothing is set in stone yet and so I am going to honor his wishes.

I will simply say this, when the designer of the gun you just bought spends an hour discussing the mechanics/load data/field experience/history and plans for the future with a new buyer it speaks volumes about that individuals passion for his work. I am now a client and will be doing business with Fred from here on out.

I will be thorougly ringing it out this weekend or next and thought about posting a range report with chrono/accuracy results, that said, the last time I did that some time ago, I got several guys giving me a rash of BS about how it wasent done in a Ransom Rest so its meaningless, etc, etc. I dont post often but when I do I try to make some kind of meaningful comment and dont need attitude (I can get that at M4.com if I feel the need) So, it will prob just go in my data book.....

Best of luck to all you TCM guys,for those of you on the fence, commit and get one, its a small club but worth joining......

Les

#38 ·
Best of luck to all you TCM guys,for those of you on the fence, commit and get one, its a small club but worth joining......

Les
I joined the Rock Club because of the TCM and have no regrets. I love the .22TCM doublestack and the cartridge. Where else can you get .22 magnum-rifle results from a handgun? :)

Now I'm looking forward to getting the TCM rifle and the .45ACP/.22LR combo 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.