1911Forum banner

Sig 1911 STX

9K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  old-lefty 
#1 ·
I have seen a couple of these, and have one friend who has one. He loves this gun. I am thinking about getting a 1911, and I have been attracted to the Sig 1911 STX. I must admit, that it is a great-lookng gun, and perhaps that's why I am attracted to it. I have never shot a Sig that I have not liked, in fact I do have one already (P238). However, I have never had a chance to shoot the STX. Can anyone give me a report on this gun? Should I consider it over, perhaps a lower-priced STI?

#2 ·
if you like the extras on the STX by all means...mine is a keeper but it's also had some custom work because that's how I wanted it...do a search here and you'll find several reviews from owners...I believe member here, Old-Lefty has two...

Bill

#4 ·
I have the TTT, which is a near-twin to the STX. The STX has a factory magwell which is nice, and they did a few different things with polishing the serrations and top of the slide, and have the safety, slide stop, etc. colored silverto match the frame, where the TTT have contrasting black controls.

Just a different look. I imagine internally they're all pretty much the same, which means they all shoot nice.

#5 ·
I have a STX and it is a good shooting 1911 the trigger is pretty good at 4.25lbs but it does have a little grittiness. I haven't shot the gun that much only 460 rds my since its not my primary range gun(Les Baer). The adjustable night sights are very bright much better than my DW Guardian. I haven't had any problems with any ammo I've tried HP, SWC, and FMJ. Overall I think its a real good value in the price range for less than $1000.

#6 ·
thanks for the kind words Bill.

I am SURE that Silversport has many more rounds down range than I do!! or for that matter many of the forum members that have STX.

It is ONE SWEET PISTOL. I personally like the older models better (the GSR era) but that is not to say that the current production is not GREAT!!!

they are beautiful to look at - very well balanced and shoot extremely well.
here is STX -1

STX - 2

here is the test target for STX - 2

#7 ·
I recently picked an STX up as a backup to my Kimber for competition. Quickly fell in love with it and it will replace my Kimber.

Very nice looking pistol but as much as I hated too, I changed out the grips and added a dawson no gap magwell and a FO front sight for competition.

My LG was very impressed with the build quality and trigger when we broke it down.

The ambi safety nice as it doesn't dig into my right hand like the Kimber safety (which will be changed when LG returns the STX.

Accurate and no feed issues through first 1,000 rounds.

#13 ·
What style holster are you looking for?

I was used to a Crossbreed Supertuck for my M&P9c, so when I got my sig TTT 1911 I wanted a similar kydex/leather IWB holster. I don't know how often I'll carry the full-size 1911 TTT (except to the classiest of summer barbecues) versus carrying the higher-capacity, yet more-compact and lighter polymer pistol. But when I do, I want the 'experience' to be as close to the same as possible.

Neither Crossbreed nor any of the several other vendors I checked really had what I wanted. I found (in this forum in the thread up above ^^) a guy named Tommy Theis (pr. Tice) who makes a real nice one.

I ordered it in horsehide (vs. cow leather), and it fits great. He molds the Kydex with a real Sig 1911 so it has the squared slide profile and fits like a glove. Mine's still in the breaking-in period, but overall I like it very much.

His pricing and personalized service (he makes them himself, and replied to my emails promptly) made for a great buying experience.

http://theisholsters.com/

#10 · (Edited)
Good shooting there old-lefty...

...I've used a Safariland paddle holster (also available in a belt slide version) http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=568 which is easier on and off but not so great for concealment...

and I have a Lou Alessi DOJ but haven't been thrilled with the fit not as tight as I like (or as my other Lou Alessi holsters made when Lou was still with us)...custom holsters should be fine but you have to remind them you don't have a rail...easier done now than when I bought mine...

Bill

#22 ·
The STX has a factory magwell which is nice, and they did a few different things with polishing the serrations and top of the slide, and have the safety, slide stop, etc. colored silverto match the frame, where the TTT have contrasting black controls.
The STX also comes with an ambidextrous safety (the TT model doesn't). I actually prefer the slightly cheaper TTT model and I really like the compact-sized adjustable rear sight found on both models. If concealed carry isn't a concern, imo, the STX and the TTT models are the best choices from SIG's great line-up of 1911-type pistols.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.