1911Forum - View Single Post - How many rounds to become proficient?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 09:16 AM

I agree with Crazy Horse. I can tell you from personal experience that I put probably five thousand rounds down range in the first year I got back into shooting. My grip/stance/etc was worthless, and while I read a lot of books and tried a lot of things, I never got it quite right.

I'm not talking about one of those "Man, my IDPA scores are awful" kinds of bad-shooting. I'm talking about "I sure wish I could hit a paper plate at seven yards" kind of bad shooting.

If I had continued down that path, I'd have put another ten or twenty thousand rounds downrange without a lot of improvement.

Then I took a five-day Defensive Handgun course from Thunder Ranch. The real value from taking a (good) formal class is that you have an instructor correcting you every time you screw something up. So you build good skills instead of reinforcing bad ones.

The net result isn't that I'm the world's best pistol shot. I'm not. However, I have a stable stance and grip, and as long as I'm halfway paying attention, I can put rounds where I need to. And now I find that my skill improves every time I go shooting. Before, I couldn't say that.

So, in my case (everyone learns differently), formal training was well worth the money.