1911Forum - View Single Post - Poor accuracy in 9mm Range Officer
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
In full custom Bullseye pistols, they'll often "settle" as the barrels and pistol are shot, fouling smooths the bore and the groups go down a bit. Parts are fit and allowed to break in vice get sloppy.
Production barrels are often pretty rough. If they're too rough, they'll foul excessively and hamper accuracy.
Generally we don't clean until accuracy degrades, and then only enough to get it back. Rimfire barrels rarely get cleaned, for both focus is on the chamber with a brush 1 size above the bore.
The RO like the other production 1911s, really don't have much fitting at all. Part of the wonder of MIM and the costs savings. I have one, love it, so not a slam, just the reality of the current production methods. Even some semi-custom shops, like Colt were not allowed to actually fit an oversized slide to a frame until recently, but with the Manager laid off, not sure what the status is.

Production pistols go to warranty for repair by roughly the same group who built it, not the custom shop, unless it was a custom pistol or your custom work had issues. "NM" is simply a stamp for marketing in the majority of companies and there is no industry standard for min group size from a rest at a specific range with a type of ammo, etc. In 45ACP the RO can be quite accurate with a little work, but the 45 is a very forging round to build around. The 9mm, not so much. At 25 yards and less you can get some very respectable near 1" groups from most that we test. At 50 things change dramatically. 9mm starts supersonic and needs to stay that way. Transitioning from super to subsonic is an accuracy killer.

We shoot 115gr or 124gr for service pistol exclusively. If the 1911 won't feed those from the first trigger squeeze it has setup/fit issues. One exception on a new pistol is that they occasionally won't go into battery when slingshot and that can/will happen regardless of bullet weight as the lockup and slide/frame may be a little too much to overcome for the weaker spring. Other than a courtesy bump at the beginning, no action needed. That level of fit isn't present in a production or probably even semi-custom. IMO, "break in" is used as an excuse for poor fitting and lack of attention by the manufacturer. There are almost no parts fit on a RO, MIM drop in. My full custom bullseye guns are built to at or below 1.25" 50 yard groups and no break in was required. I took my pistol from the Gunsmith and competed with it and won the same day. BTW, we only load 5 rounds in a magazine. No need to load more. We actually avoid it to increase accuracy and reliability. If the slide/frame is excessively tight it can be racked by hand without having to go through the cost of ammunition. Simply disassemble the pistol so only the bare slide and frame are together and check for improperly machined surfaces, which can be addressed. Touch up or have the manufacture correct it and reassemble.

I use this as a guide when I inspect a 1911. Others are well beyond my level of knowledge I'm sure, but I find it a great reference.

A Day With A Master Gunsmith by Chip Lohman, Shooting Sports USA 2009
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/...php?startid=16

Production barrels are typically drop in, Dan Wesson does a "semi-drop in" however, good barrels like Colt/Springfield/etc. can often be welded up with great results, but your gunsmiths may not want to exert the effort as a new barrel may be faster and they have a greater probability of good performance. The root problem with most production/semi-custom 9mm barrels is that they're a compromise. The twist rate faster to stabilize heavy bullets, but the range/target weight is much lighter. If you want superb accuracy you will want a KKM slow twist barrel, which is a 1-32 vice the 1-16 or even faster, and have it custom reamed with a gentle transition (leade angle). Hornady 115 gr or 124 gr XTP or HAP in the same weights are terrific. Power Pistol and N-330 are two great consistent powders for 9mm.

Here are a couple of test targets from Bullseye Gunsmiths, if you need contact information shoot me a PM.

10 shots at 50 yards (Caspian Full Custom) by David Sams from a HEG rest

25 shots at 50 yards (Accurized Les Baer) by Jerry Keefer from a Ransom Rest

Have you found any accurate subsonic loads with 147 grain bullets?