1911Forum banner

9mm on the 1911 Platform?

10K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  scout800a 
#1 ·
For IDPA....I'd appreciate some feedback on good options for a 9mm (or perhaps 40s&w) in the 1911 format.

I've looked at the STI Trojan, but would like more input.

I'm thinking in the + or - $1000 range......

Thanks

#3 ·
I've been doing well with my S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series. Very fast, very accurate.

#4 ·
I had some issues with my S&W Pro Series, and after two trips to the S&W shops, I picked up an STI Trojan. The STI Trojan has been a fine shooter with no FTF/FTE, etc, and will cost much less than the $1000...most dealers are right around the $650 range.

#8 · (Edited)
there are about ten of them on Gunbroker and none is under $1000......

Brazos has them for $999....

:confused::confused::confused:
WOW!! you're right...way over price on GB. Looking at the one of the pictures, it looks like a newer version of the Trojan. Almost paterned after the Ranger III.

send me a PM and I'll let you know the dealer who the dealer is here in Iowa.

#6 ·
Trojan, Spartan, those Greeks are hard to tell apart.

One of our guys had a Trojan 9mm yesterday.
It is not like it came out of STI, has a short trigger with very light pull, and a big fat mag well funnel, as big as will fit The Box. Shiny, too; either polished stainless or chromed.

#12 ·
Are you looking at a $1000 budget for the gun only or everything you'll need to compete IDPA ESP?
The Trojan is a great gun no doubt. If on a budget however, going with the Spartan 9mm you'll be able to outfit the gun completely.... get a few quality 10 round magazines, a magwell, trigger job, holster... the works and still stay in the $1000 range.

#15 ·
VR4... How well does the front strap "stippling" work?? Im probably going to order a Trojan in 9mm in the next couple weeks and that is the only thing kind of holding me up.

Ive heard its far less agressive than checkering. Also heard that alot of people end up covering it with grip tape. What are your thoughts?

#17 · (Edited)
I was like the others with the stippling. I also shoot a SA Trophy Match SS which has a very aggressive checkering. After shooting the Trojan for awhile it dosen't make a differnce IMO.

I didn't notice from switching from gun to gun. The stippling is not going to make you shot better. It's just to help your grip which I haven't had a problem with.

As you said, if you need more texture just add grip tape. Here is a video of me shooting it at a local USPSA match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4hgWYJ2Lu0

#16 ·
I have a Springfield loaded in 9mm and I love it. I've made quite a few small upgrades including a fiber optic front sight and 10-8 U notch rear, new mag release, S&A one piece magwell/MSH, slide release, and thumb safety. Also an action job, match bushing, front strap checkering and other goodies from the custom shop. After all the work I'm above your 1k mark but I absolutely love the gun and many of the changes were just personal preference.

At under $800 it's one of my favorite purchases even before my changes.

#18 ·
9mm platform for action shooting

There is nothing wrong with an STI Trojan, but I shoot both IDPA and IPSC Limited using an STI 2011 style gun.

You could purchase an STI 2011 in .40 caliber using the standard dustcover with a barrel that uses a bushing. This would allow you to compete in IDPA in the Enhanced Service Pistol division, and would also allow you to compete in USPSA in the Limited Division. You may be required to use a 126mm length mag for IDPA, while in USPSA most shooters in Limited div. use 140mm mags with special followers and base pads to maximize the amount of rounds they can get in the mag.

I do my own gunsmithing, and built my own STI 2011 gun. I ordered a W/N ramp cut frame, and use basically a .40 cal slide. I then fitted a .40S&W Bar Sto barrel, and a Kart 9mm barrel to the same gun. I use the 9mm in the ESP div. of IDPA, and switch out the barrel, ejector , and mags to .40 when shooting in USPSA Limited.

Since the average price of an STI 2011 Limited gun is in the $1700 price range, switiching out barrels and mags was a lot cheaper alternative than buying two guns.....plus I have the same trigger pull for both sports.

#21 ·
I've shot IDPA ESP with both a Kimber Tactical Pro in 9mm and a Kimber Aegis II 9mm. Did do a little work on the Aegis so I liked it better. Full size grips, standard thumb safety, new magazine release, mainspring housing with magwell. Very happy with both.

#22 · (Edited)
9mm 1911 in ESP...

I tried plastic magic guns in IDPA & IPSC/USPSA for a year and a half..
Finally recently went back to my 1911's and won't be turning back ever again..

I use this Trojan in 9mm for IDPA/ ESP...

These guns are awesome for IDPA. :rock::rock:

#23 ·
There is one just like that around here, currently with its third owner. Some people just like to trade guns.
The present guy thought he could refine the trigger pull a bit.
Saturday IDPA: "Where's Joe?"
"Oh, he was fooling with his trigger pull and the gun went full auto. He'll be back when he gets it fixed."

#29 · (Edited)
Lol.. I missed this before., I like to trade too, but really DO love my STI's..
Mine both have 2# triggers and are hard chromed, the Trojan has all stock components, merely refined.
I will say that I began w/ an S.A., SS Target in 9mm but I just prefer the fit/ feel/ finish of the STI's, so "Changed Out".

#25 ·
Another vote for Springfield Loaded SS 9mm

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9mm and have really enjoyed shooting it in IDPA so far. Here's some pics and a list of parts I added to mine:

10-8 rear sight with .140 notch
10-8 flat trigger
10-8 stainless slide stop
10-8 stainless grip screws
10-8 stainless mag release
Wilson Combat G.I. style recoil spring guide and 10-8 stainless plug
Wilson Combat ETM 10rd 9mm mags (6)
Novak fiber optic front sight
Smith & Alexander stainless mainspring housing
VZ grey golf balled grips
Wolff 11lb variable recoil spring and 19lb mainspring

Here's a pic of my IDPA gear: Wilderness Instructors Belt, Raven Concealment holster and dual mag pouch and Wilson ETM mags.

#28 ·
1911 9mm

The STI Trojan is most likely a better value and a great gun.

If you are going to get a magwell, I personally frown upon the S&A magwell, even though I have used them. The S&A does not fully surround the front of the grip opening, and guess what....under stress, you will inadvertently jam the mag into the front of the frame since there is no metal from the magwell to guide it into the frame. A better option would be a Techwell mag or having one welded on. The new Dawson full magwells are another option, but I would ask Dawson Precision if they will still fit in the IDPA box to be legal.

According to the rule book, an extended mag release can not be futher than .20" away from the frame, and the head may not be larger than the body....no oversized mag buttons are allowed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.