1911Forum banner

9 mm 1911 recommendations ??

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Baggerdude 
#1 ·
Altho, I have quite a collection of handguns ... I am new to the 1911 guns. I've always liked the way the guns look, all classic and all ... but, found them heavy, short on capacity and 45 caliber. I did not like any of these.

Now, there are several manufacturers that make 9mm guns in 1911 configuration. I like that. Cheaper to shoot, GF can shoot 9s (and hates 45s, me too), and less felt recoil I am told.

I've spent some time on this board looking at several 1911 9mm gun makers. Pretty nice stuff, I must say.

But, here's a short list of what I'm leaning toward .... (all NIB guns)
S&W 9mm Pro series 5" at around $1450
STI Trojan 9mm 5" around $1200
STI Eagle 9mm Dawson FO 5" around $1800

I know the Eagle is a double stack with greater capacity and some other goodies. That's nice. The S/W is a nice gun as well with 10+1 capacity. I have quite a few S/W guns and my daily carry is a S/W M&P 9C. The Trojan seems less than the others, too ... but, gets lots of folks liking it a great deal. Less capacity than the others, tho.

What do you guys like about this group of guns? Pros/cons?

This will be like most all my guns .... home/self defense, target shooting, some daily carry ... tho, I doubt this gun will be a CC gun.

What do you folks think? Any, recommendations ... concerns ... advice?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Of those You listed, the STI's are great guns for the money. They do have some MIM if that matters to you. The next step up IMO is the Dan Wesson PM-9. No MIM and awsome features and craftsmanship. Good luck trying to find one though! Above that you're into the semi-custom makers, $2000 and up, easy.

I personally don't care for external extractors or firing pin safeties, so that rules out quite a few of the big manufacturers for me.

BTW, capacity over 10 only matters if you miss a lot! ;-)

#4 ·
I thought only the lower line Spartan STI's had MIM? I'm not 100% sure on that but...

This topic is all over this forum on each brand's own section, check Kimber, STI, and Springfield for more comments on 1911 9mm discussions...

I too have been debating a 1911 9mm and have now shot a few; and I ended up buying a Browning Hi-Power for the time being. I shot a Kimber Aegis Custom and Carry, and a Dan Wesson Guardian all of which FTF'ed on me though the DW the most (surprisingly enough). Plus the DW threw a casing back and to the left of me catching on my shooting glasses and giving me a nice 1st to 2nd degree burn in the shape of a 9mm casing; you have to love it!

There's not a lot of experience with STI's around here so I was leaning towards a Springfield since I have an EMP 9mm and my LGS carries them (and Kimbers); the comment that was made to me was "...if you have to send a Springfield back for work it's two to three weeks, a Kimber it's two to three months..." But I just couldn't decide so I went back to BHP's for the time being (I had one for over a decade that I should never have sold!). Smith Pros are nice looking but lots of negative comments on the Smith and Wesson forum about them (though maybe they've gotten better? please check); and I'm a Smith owner (Model 41 and a 686-3 I've owned since 1990). One current thread on an issue right here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=369785

Poke around each forums for these types of comments and find a range that rents the models you're looking at (or close) and give them a whirl.

For me it was either going to be a Springfield Loaded ($900 or so) or an STI Trojan ($1008) and save the extra monies for a lightweight MSP housing and flared mag well and a trigger job and get to shooting!

Good luck on your search!

#5 ·
Thanx. I appreciate your help here. But, I only have these 3 guns to look at and, perhaps, purchase. All are available, too.

$2000 is the top of my limit for the present time. And, that's a lot of dough for me at this time. I'm a bit nervous about that. I may try to trade in a gun on the purchase.

I spoke to my LGS and they said they had a couple Kimbers. But, he said that the quality of the new guns has depreciated and the prices do not reflect same. If true, that is unfortunate.

DW guns do not appeal to me for some reason. Don't know why. Price? Maybe.

#8 ·
Played golf today in the pouring rain. Charity event ... otherwise I'da stayed home.

Skipped the after round buffet ... instead, called Cabela's and asked what 1911 9s they had (I did call other LGS last eve ... nada, other than Kimber). Cabela's had a S&W Pro Series in 9 mm. One only.

I drove down and played with it a bit. Liked the gun. And, bought it. Around $1450ish. But, looks like a nice gun to shoot.

I've not played with a 1911 before. Low capacity, heavy, weird safeties and such seemed to put me off. But, I have to say, this gun is quite nice. I may do 'some things' to it soon, but 1st have to go to the range and see how it works. Looking forward to it.

Thanx all for the comments and recommendations.

Let's see if I can up load a photog or 2 ....

Attachments

#9 ·
I have not shot the gun as I've only owned it for a couple hours. And, I have not stripped it either.

Anyone have an opinion regarding using gun grease vs gun oil (or some such) on the S&W 1911 9mm? I've heard that grease works best. I've never used grease on a handgun.

Opinions appreciated.

(BTW, ths gun handles very well in my hands. Think I'll enjoy shooting it)

#10 ·
Of the three you'd written you were going to pick from I'd likely have picked the S&W Pro as well; congratulations.

I'll leave the 'grease versus oil versus space age lube' debate up to others, I kind of use a combo myself but some folks swear by Mobil 1 on stainless 1911's; I'm just saying (and that surprised me as well!).

Let us know how the first trip to the range goes and enjoy!

#11 ·
Thanx, Drew .... I'm looking forward to shooting the gun.

I've used CorrosionX (for guns) on all my guns for the last few years. Can't remember where I saw it, but works well for me. I'll start with this ... and read the several pages of posts regarding what lube/oil to use. Some of what I've read .... I have in stock. Mobil 1, synthetic 15/50 synthetic, axel grease, bearing grease ... and such.

:)

#13 ·
A word or two about the STI Trojan in 9mm. I purchased the Trojan at about the same time I bought my .45 S&W DK model 1911 and they were about the same price.
Since then, the work done to the Smith:
Replaced the barrel with a Kart match barrel.
Replaced the bushing with a Kart (tighter) bushing.
Replaced the guts and hammer of the pistol with a Cylinder and Slide trigger pull reduction kit.
Finally, I had Doug Jones install rails onto the frame for a tighter fit.
I did all this because I enjoy bullseye shooting and I need a pistol that shoots the tightest possible group. And now it does.

The Trojan, out of the box, without any modification, shoots just as well, just as tight and just as accurate as the highly modified .45 Smith. The only modification to the Trojan was a trigger adjustment done at Brazos where I purchased the gun. I also changed out the grips.

If I had to have just one pistol... It would be the Trojan!

#17 ·
I use grease on the rails of 1911s and SIGs, and Breakfree LP, which is much more viscous than CLP because it contains no cleaning solvent, on the rails of my plastic guns.

Everyone has their favorite grease and mine is Mil-Comm TW25B followed closely by Tetra Grease.

I've learned that it isn't worth arguing over which grease is the "best".

Just grease those rails with a good gun grease and put some on the barrel and barrel hood as well because they are high friction areas.

A little grease on the barrel bushing will make it easier to remove as well and a dab on the disconnector is also a good idea.

Plenty of knowledgeable individuals run their slides on oil rather than grease and once again, it's not worth arguing over which is "best".

#18 ·
Purchased some Frog Lube and used it where recommended. Gun functioned fine thru 300-400 rnds. I was running some Russian dirty crap thru the gun and may have to 'semi-clean' the gun ... but, may run another 500 or so rnds thru the S/W before I break it entirely down.

Just to see how dirty it can be before it stops working properly. Typically, I clean my guns every time I come back from the range. 500 rnds, break them down, clean, put back together. Getting lazy in my old age, now I guess.

BTW, first time I've used grease on my guns. Frogs is like lip balm. Matter o'fact, smells like lip balm. Maybe I've hit on something here ! :)

#19 ·
I was in the similar position as you, debating between the S&W Pro 1911 and the STI Trojan. I went with the Trojan and I'm glad I did, this gun is awesome. I bought mine lightly used for $999 shipped, with VZ grips, a 3lb trigger job, a Dawson FO front sight, and some other goodies.

I didn't like the serrations on the S&W, the STI Trojan's slide serrations are nice and easy to grab.

Congratulations on the purchase.

#20 ·
But, here's a short list of what I'm leaning toward .... (all NIB guns)
S&W 9mm Pro series 5" at around $1450
STI Trojan 9mm 5" around $1200
STI Eagle 9mm Dawson FO 5" around $1800

What do you guys like about this group of guns? Pros/cons?

This will be like most all my guns .... home/self defense, target shooting, some daily carry ... tho, I doubt this gun will be a CC gun.

What do you folks think? Any, recommendations ... concerns ... advice?
I'm looking at an Eagle myself, in 9. Dawson's STI knowledge is tops.

#21 ·
STI guns

STI guns are one of the most popular mfg's for action shooting competition.
They have stood the test of time, are durable, accurate, and reliable. Their single stack guns like the STI Trojan are also an excellent value when compared to the features offered on other guns.

When you purcase a S&W Pro series for roughly $1,500, that is about 50% more money than the STI Trojan. The Trojan is an excellent value for the price. Both are excellent guns.....

I personally like the STI Eagle, 2011 guns. High capacity and polymer grip makes for a lighter gun, and do use them on occassion for concealed carry. To reduce weight, I will carry my STI Eagle .40 with 10+1 rounds in the gun, and carry a 17 round back up mag on the opposite hip.

I have several 2011 STI guns, and one is 9mm, another in .40, and another in .38super.

#23 ·
I'm really happy with my S&W 1911 9mm. It shoots really well for my purposes. I am mainly a 'defensive shooter', not a target shooter. I just want a paper plate to have a BIG hole in the center at 7-10 yards after firing 300-400 rnds. I fire pretty quickly ... either double taps, or 1-2 seconds for the entire clip. That's how I like to shoot.

The S&W has performed very well. I am pleased. The sights may be a bit off, but that's another deal to play with. The gun eats whatever I stuff thru it. I have lots of dirty Russian stuff that seems to work well. The only small glitch is that I shoot so fast, that I think the gun heats up a bit by the 150 rnd mark. I do get some FTFs/ejects. But, only a couple. I think it's a combination of dirty ammo and the heat that the gun goes thru. Just my opinion. Shooting normally, would not produce the same/same results I believe.

Relating to a 9 mm vs 45 caliber ... I have only shot a S&W 4515 (? .. could be 16) that I owned from new for several years. Tactical version .. all steel, very heavy ... recoil was much more than any 9 mm I own. Plus, the 45s are more expensive to shoot ... especially the way I shoot with 400+ rnds at a time. And, I like to keep it simple ... 9 mm guns with 9 mm ammo works for me.

Here's what I don't care for regarding the 1911s ... the breakdown and re-assembly are a PITA, IMO. I'm getting better at it, but having a separate tool to help assembly/takedown vs the other guns I have is not a good thing IMO. I would like to not have the tool to strip the gun and clean it. I suppose it can be done without it, but it would be difficult compared to say ... the S&W M&P 9mm guns (which I also have).

I do like shooting the 1911, but doubt if I will use it as a CC. I have other guns that work better in this manner. It is a cool gun tho. I'm happy with my choice.

#24 ·
totally hear you on being cheaper to shoot. Thats exactly why I have a 9mm 1911. When I want to go out and just throw lead downrange I can do so much cheaper.

Glad your smith is good. I just bought my first smith 1911 today but its in 45.

As far as cleaning it it gets easier like your said and my others I dont even use the tool for once they loosen up a bit. Watch out for the slide release scratch. I got mine first cleaning :biglaugh:

#25 ·
Yeah, Rmiller ... I hear you, too.

I've tossed the spring across the room more than once. I tend not to read the 'directions' as well as I should ... plus, the S&W manual covers several guns that are similar. I've been on the wrong page a couple times. Stupid me.

The gun seems to be 'looser' than at 1st. But, it shoots better each time I go out. Perhaps that is part of the gun finding the groove. 1000 or so rnds seems to make all guns better ... or, they go back to the manufacturer for tweaks.

Congrats on .45. Bigger is always better, eh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.