1911Forum banner

OMG! I can’t believe this happened yesterday!

10K views 76 replies 55 participants last post by  sparkyfender 
#1 ·
Was at my favorite LGS yesterday, had just walked in, said hello to the guys, laughed when the owner said “I smell a hippie” as he always does. My best buddy was there looking at a pistol at one of the glass cases. I said some smart Alec comment to him about him getting body parts waxed and he whispers “check out that guy with the High Point” There in all his glory was a guy wearing an OWB Uncle Mikes synthetic holster with a 9mm High Point, and not just any HP, no, it had custom synthetic wood like grips made from the same style material that the 1911a1 military guns had. Had a dapper looking Andy Capp hat on too! He was looking for a new carry gun that wasn’t quite as big as his HP. It was like seeing a UFO for the first time, or maybe a big foot. I mean we have all heard they exist but never thought I’d see one myself.

Anyway, I left before I busted out laughing, nothing against a HP but exposed? :eek::eek:

#2 ·
Well, at least until a Hi-Point is suddenly shoved in your face, and the laughing abruptly stops.

A lot of people are drawn to Hi-Points because of their price. A lot of people are also drawn to cheap 19" lawnmowers with paper-thin sheet metal decks and bolt-on wheels. Both will do the job just fine until you can afford something better.

#4 · (Edited)
Still got mine

My 1st semi-auto were High-Points, due to price. A .45ACP for me and a .380ACP for the Mrs. Both big, soft-shooting, accurate and [in low-volume] reliable. For home defense, the purpose for which they were purchased ca 1990, they are well suited. For concealed carry, I’d need a little red wagon or something. Wouldn’t OC them; not with everybody carrying a camera these days.

#10 ·
This is oftentimes the case.

To demean someone that is on a tight budget is tacky at best. Snobbery is pretty indicative of a pretty small intellect. I remember my father telling me that as he was attending Princeton university on the GI bill. A lot of his classmates upon finding out that his father was a tool and die maker immediately considered this as a valid reason to snub him, despite the fact that he graduated two years early with a masters degree in mathematics in the same time period that most of his classmates were just graduating with bachelors degrees.

#8 ·
:biglaugh:

Don’t make me pull out all the threads that some of our members here railed on the Uncle Mike fit all holster comments . It wasn’t any one thing, it was the culmination of choices that pushed it over the edge. Man, I feel like I just got Munsoned

#12 ·
After retiring I worked p/t at a gun store/shooting range, mainly as a RSO. One day I walked in and one of the smiths was sighting in a laser sight on a High Point and it wasn’t going well for him. I finally looked at him and said “close enough” and he agreed. How much fine tuning can you do with a High Point.

#13 ·
Well, I don't see anything wrong with owning a High Point. In a worst case scenario, if you had to use one to defend yourself, you won't feel bad when the police take it from you as evidence until everything is settled. In some locales you may never get it back either. The state destroys all guns taken in. Just think how you would feel if they took your super nice $2,500 handgun in as evidence after a shooting. So besides cost there is a upside to owning one in this case.

But having a good holster is a hugely needed item, those super cheap holsters just want to invite some thug to try and take your gun from you. I prefer concealed carry to prevent being more of a target.

#15 ·
Actually I'm a hundred times more concerned about his use of an Uncle Mike's holster than I am the Hi-Point. Collapsible fabric holsters are only good for holding a weapon if you keep mostly still. Any physical activity or change of your posture and you'll be hearing a loud clatter on the ground... at best.

#16 ·
President Reagan, James Brady, and the DC Metro Police Officer were shot by John Hinckley with a Roehm RG14 .22 lr revolver about the cheapest Saturday Night Special. He used an explosive .22 lr round called the Devastator that was available to buy at many gun shops.

Hinckley fires 6 shots rapid fire and almost killed the president, a LEO, and James Brady, Regan’s Press Secretary. WITH A CHEAP SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL, I’m not by any means at all a firearms expert but I’ve shot a Roehm RG14 and it was a very cheaply made revolver. High Points would be considered a mechanical work of art compared to the RG14!

I learned a long time ago not to make fun of someone because of their individual circumstances. That guy and his High Point? Probably a better shot with it then about 1/3of the people on gun forums!

#21 · (Edited)
President Reagan, James Brady, and the DC Metro Police Officer were shot by John Hinckley with a Roehm RG14 .22 lr revolver about the cheapest Saturday Night Special. <snip?
Ha!! "about"?? Try THE cheapest...$35 MSRP. I had never heard of Röhm Gesellschaft until a few years ago. My buddy asked me to help him move some very heavy bronze sculptures. He said if I would volunteer my time, my truck and my back he would give me a nice condition .38 revolver he was willing to part with. I asked what kind, and he said couldnt remember the name, but it started with "R". My mind immediately went to "Ruger", and I said OK, sure.

I almost blew out a testical trying to help a 72-year-old man move these battleship anchors. So when he handed me THIS I apparently couldnt hide the disappointment on my face.

Immediatley I noticed the plastic grips, which looked like they belonged on a toy pistol from Dollar General, and the monkey metal frame looks like it could be melted with a cigarette lighter. It's been sitting in a shoebox on my closet shelf...I'm too afraid to fire it (I've become fond of having all five fingers).

So, yeah...makes a Hi Point look like a Sig Legion.

#18 ·
Guys, this guy was not dressed as a poor man. He was very prim and proper. He seemed well educated and was well spoken.
I have no problem with High Points. I’m hoping to come across a used HP 45 or 10mm rifle. My biggest complaint is lack of 20-30 round mags. I have often pointed people on a really tight budget to purchase one rather than an old star or similar pistol that has no warranty or perhaps poor parts availability. They have a very good warranty, they are 100% American sourced and built. It was just some musings, again, I guess you just had to be there.

#24 ·
My understanding is that Reagan was a victim of his own bulletproof car. That the round that hit Brady was direct, and exploded as designed, within his brain.

But the POTUS was hit by a ricochet off the limo, that failed to explode. So maybe if he had a VW instead, he would have not been hit at all.

Just a hole in the Beetle.

So the safe choice for all heads of state is clear: VW Bugs.

#59 ·
'Sorry, but this reminds me of the old gag that if Teddy ("The Swimmer") Kennedy had driven a Volkswagen [which were known to float], Mary Jo Kopechne might still be alive today (and Teddy might've been president).

#25 ·
I've never owned a High Point, but I certainly wouldn't look down on someone who chooses to carry one.

We ought to be encouraging firearms ownership, and not everyone can afford an expensive gun. I hear that High Points work well, and are a good choice for those on a budget.

As some have stated,the choice of holster is a bit of a problem, but does that same elitist mindset lead to there not being many choices for the High Point?

#28 ·
Thank you, that was all I was getting at. I never open carry myself and no one else does around here either and that’s what caught me off guard. The one guy I see open carrying was him. I like how everyone is judging me for supposedly judging this guy. I’m not judging him, it was just a freaking moment in time.

#29 ·
I’ve owned hipoints and Jennings. The Jennings J22 was actually was of my funnest guns to shoot I ever had. I shot the crap outta it.
Never the less no matter how good you think you are there is always somebody better be it financially or equipment wise.
I don’t look down on people nor do I really look up with envy. I just keep plodding along all by myself...

#30 ·
. It was like seeing a UFO for the first time, or maybe a big foot. I mean we have all heard they exist but never thought I’d see one myself.

Anyway, I left before I busted out laughing, nothing against a HP but exposed? :eek::eek:

Open Carry of a Hi Point, to me, is a fashion error if nothing else.
Thank you, that was all I was getting at.
Since when is carrying(either concealed or open), other than at a Texas Bar-B-Que, a "fashion statement"? Is that opinion something that is acquired from the thin atmosphere when one puts themselves on such a high pedestal? We gun owners have enough going against us already, we do not need, others, supposedly on our side, snickering while whispering behind our backs, mocking and belittling us. Funny how sometimes it's difficult at best to differentiate some adults from third grade girls on the playground.

Yes, I guess ya had to have been there.
Glad I wasn't. The company there doesn't sound like the type of folks I prefer to hang around with. "Johnny handgun"......now there's a statement.

#31 ·
I don't care who you are or what you have, there's always someone who has more or better than you. He might seem like a strange guy with his hat and custom gripped Highpoint in an Uncle Mike rig, and maybe he is, but he's a brother gun owner. I remember walking into an LGS for the first time. Bunch of regulars standing around drinking coffee from styrofoam cups shooting the breeze. Their eyes following my every move - probably making wrong assumptions about the rookie deputy sheriff they didn't know anything about. BTW, I put a Colt Trooper on layaway that day.

#32 ·
I totally understand what the Op is getting at.

If one is going to Open Carry, especially in an area where few to none do so, your hardware will be noticed.

And that pistol & it's low-quality holster is not a crummy ensemble, in the grand scheme of guns & leathercraft.

Like cargo shorts at a wedding, better could be done with not much more cost or effort.

Is that an elitist, bourgeois attitude? ---------------- only if Mr Hi Point is actually incapable of affording another $75 for something more presentable.

Because he is choosing to present. If poverty was his issue he could always CC the thing.

Look, in money discussions here I have long been a proponent of cheap, paid-for cars. I think anyone paying over $3k, to get from A to B is wasting their money. A 2001 Salvage Title Hyundai is just fine & nobody cares about your car anyhow Just keep it clean & running.

Rich or poor, there's Nothin' wrong with that.

But if you actively seek out display of your salvage title Hyundai by rolling up to the Red Carpet in it, yeah, you'll get some odd looks.

Because either you are totally clueless OR you are a very clever & funny guy.

Bottom line: I don't think the OP was looking down his nose as much as surprised at the man's choice of an OC gun and rig.

Side note: My current fun toy car is a rusty, crusty, one-plastic-seat, '71 MG Midget that I bought for $400.00 in January.

I drive that poopbox with wild abandon. And when people look down on me (many do) I'm neither offended or shocked. Because she IS a total stack of crap. I cannot deny this. Very very unfashionable for sure.

#33 ·
Thank you for understanding. I’m just like you, my wife has a nice little z98 Altima with a smashed front bumper we paid $250 for and her daily is a dented rusted 2005 Altima we paid $300.00 for and I rebuilt the front suspension on it and we are at $600 in it. My driver is a wrecked 205 Honda Accord that I fixed up 6 years ago and we have $3000 in it. I do have a secret weapon that hides in the garage all covered up and a 2017 Kawasaki I bought. I am not a snob. I could care less if people laugh at my cars. I have some decent guns but I am far from a gun snob.

As a matter of fact I suggested the fellow check out the Sig P365, which he was asking to see when I left. I also commented on his grips on his HP. I had to look twice to see it wasn’t something else because it was unique. I promise he was treated well and never felt unwelcome at that LGS.

#35 ·
I was watching reruns of "TOP SHOT" You know, that show where the winner of the season gets $100K.

Anyway...........

One of the contestants was a Golf instructor (OK, fine, not everyone good with firearms is a pro shooter or military/police). He was talking with a female contestant and she mentioned she was a THREE GUN champion for women.

The Golf instructor then said, "What is Three Gun?"

Then I thought to myself, WHAT THE FAKK DID HE JUST SAY??????????

The guy with the uncle mikes and hi point wasn't claiming anything. The guy on top shot didn't know what the hell 3 gun was.

I think that guy trumps any hippy walking into a gun store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.