1911Forum banner

Future-Proofing Your Firearm Resources

7K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  fast eddie 
#1 · (Edited)
I asked this in another brand specific forum, but thought I would ask here as well.

Given the current situation (stock market tanking, predictions of a severe recession, etc) if you were laid off or forced to sell everything but the bare minimum to get through the next year or more without buying more what pistol/rifle combo and calibers would you feel most confident with?

Thank God China doesn't make our ammo too!

#2 ·
I will put it this way.

We have options.

#4 ·
I'm retired and not in the stock market, but if I had to reduce my guns down to almost nothing, then I'd keep a 14.5" AR-15 in .556 (LWRC A-5) and a G19 (9mm). If more guns were possible, then I'd want another of my ARs, a shotgun, a long range rifle, and a 1911. Trying to pick which of my 1911s to keep and which to not keep would be very difficult and very painful.

#6 ·
A good reason that even if you are a lefty, or as I so shoot long guns left handed because of my eyes, stick to right handed ARs. Lefty AR uppers require lefty BCGs. Not an easy thing to find easily. Sure, they are online, but every AR part vendor out there carries standard BCGs.

I'm guilty of knowing I should have extra parts kits for my ARs. At least an extra spring and pin kit, plus and extra bolt. But, I don't. Yet.

I've also been wondering just how well it would play into reality if things really went so totally south just how more burden than asset having a lot of guns and rooms of ammo would really be. Unless you have impenetrable, serious fire resistant bunkers and ways to get in and out securely, just how much of your stocks could you get out of a house that caught on fire? First reaction would be to try and put it out. By the time you realize you have to abandon the place you have used your minimal time in which you could try to move guns and ammo out.

A lot of us here seem to be realistic in that we are bug in, not out people. However, if the situation came up that you really need to unass the AO how much guns, ammo, gear, not to mention food, meds, and essentials could you load out? Both in terms of speed and space for. What do you do with the stuff you leave behind? Blow it all in place so no-one else can get it or hope you can come back and get back before anyone else gets in?

Having a select kit with quick grab mags/ammo is probably a good idea.

I'm still thinking about mine. Naturally, one of the ARs. Possibly hand the one with the optic to the wife and run my dissipator with carry handle and light. On the handgun front it's a toss up. I have a lot more .45 ACP JHP that I do 9mm JHP. So one thought is toss in the Glock 30s and the Glock 21. That's in a Bianchi UM holster ready to go. I have something like 9 mags or so for the 21 and 5 for the 30s.

On the other hand, I have a Beretta M9A1 (bedside gun) and a M9. I also have something like 18 standard Beretta mags, plus three sticks mags. I also have the PAK-9 AK type pistol that takes Beretta mags, or I can swap the magwell to take Glock mags and I have a few Glock 17 and 19 Mags. Unfortunately while I have plenty of 9mm ammo, it's almost all FMJ in 115 and 124 grain.

On the shotgun front having the 20"/7+1 Mossberg 500 would be nice, however the Shockwave would be something that would be slung over the back easier and still be able to use the AR for general use. It would also pack easier. Toss the Shockwave and PAK-9 in a tub or pack with some ammo in a vehicle or even on the packs of you and another for use later after you settle in somewhere.

The hardest decision would probably be between the pistols. Something to be said for both.

If I wasn't too concerned with having to face down the hordes, just get by with less for a while that's different. I'd keep my Rossi M92 Trapper in .38/357 Mag and as much as I like the M65-1 I have, I'd probably opt to keep the S&W 686 Plus. Maybe the M65 as it's a 4" and the 686 is a 6". I have a fairly decent stash of .357 Mag JHP, and maybe a box or two of SP ammo. I also have dies, powder, bullets, and primers for that caliber as well.

Also keep at least one .22 LR and possibly the only .22 pistol I have. A Ruger Mark II Bull Barrel.

#7 · (Edited)
Never sell in a down market. Hang on tight. From an older guy who's experienced harder times before.

As far as guns and calibers, 1911 in 45acp, 1911/other in 9mm, and AR15/similar in 5.56 seem pretty solid.

But good arguments can be advanced for other guns and calibers as well. If you already have them, keep em all!!:rock:

As far as dismal stock market results, more often than not those who stay the course find that values are usually restored within 24 months of a "bottom". Even in the 1930s, two of the best percentage return years on record were in 1933 and 1935, with gains around 50%. But most in that era had already sold out and missed the two good years...for those folks, it was doubly depressing.

As far as job losses during an extreme downturn, and if that occurs, just view the months that follow as part of your retirement. In hindsight, we spend too much of our time working anyway; few older people wish, in hindsight, that they had spent more time working. Furthermore, 35 years of earnings is all that can be counted for Social Security benefits; more than that is funding someone else's benefits.

#14 ·
Never sell in a down market. Hang on tight. From an older guy who's experienced harder times before.
Same here. 20 years ago I was laid off and in a panic sold the majority of my guns. Had I waited just a little longer I wouldn't have had to sell them as I regained employment after a short while. But a lot of other guys sure benefited from my fire sale. :(

#8 ·
If I was a salesman I would have starved to death long ago. I don't think I ever made much profit on a sale I would loose money or at best break even. I have done better with trades. If I had to make a choice on what to keep. It would be an AR in 5.56 and Remington 700 30-06 for hunting. I would keep 3 pistols Glock 19 9mm, DW Valor 1911 45 and Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. I'd like to hang on to a 12 ga. shotgun too.

#10 ·
Thank God China doesn't make our ammo too!

On the contrary; Norinco ammo was QUITE good, and in the early '90's, you could buy BRASS-CASED .223, and STEEL CORE 7.62x39, for $.99 a box o' 20! :eek: Boxer-primed, too!

My college wingman and I would blast through 3,000 rds. in a weekend, and at $149, think nothing of it!

It was cleaner than ANY Tula/Barnaul ammo out there, and cleaner than Igman, for that matter. In fact, I'll gladly take 50k rounds of .223 as MY reparations, for Wuhan flu! :rock:

#11 ·
Well, we had a bit of a practice run this past week. Salt Lake City was hit with a 5.7 earthquake and we had to pack up my Jeep just in case a more serious one followed. My choice was simple. Two 1911 45 ACPs and tons of ammo. One Springfield Armory TRP with SureFire light and the other a Bill Wilson Carry 45 ACP. I also had ready but not in the Jeep my Daniel Defense M4 with light in a wall closet.

I reload all my calibers except 22 and HMR 17 and I have plenty of bullets, primers, and powder to stock back up if needed. I also have certain calibers in factory ammo as well.

#12 ·
If I had to scrounge to get through the year, I still wouldn't need to sell any guns. I have about $10,000 of precious metals put away and when the stock market goes down, precious metals values usually increase. I think it's because all of those lame brain investors start selling off their stocks when they see economic bad times coming and then start buying precious metals because they're solid, unlike paper bonds that can become worthless in a trading cycle.
I'll be keeping all of my guns. And, I have extra, just in case I need to arm extended family members and maybe some friends.

#13 ·
Metals hold a certain degree of charm.

But if things get really bad. Then beans, bullets, and band aids will be the better resource. Just sayin.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm not at the "bare" minimum, but I am down to what I actually need.

The "Two is one, one is none" thing is strong here.
got most of it covered, and have feed for them.

Would like to pick up another 556 - cheap.

See what's available in another month or so?
(The 2nd relief bill was voted down yesterday.)

(edit)
OOPS!
Looks like the House passed that big bill after all.
But the senate won't.
Will they???

#20 ·
This is why there's a retirement crisis in this country. Damn few folks have the foresight to save money to cover 3, 6 or 12 months of living expenses, much less for a 35 year retirement.

Why would anyone have a bunch of money tied up in guns....BEFORE you saved up 3 months of living expenses in case you lost your job??? Why would you have $3-5k in guns BEFORE you put money in the bank to cover your families economic NEEDS for an extended period of time???

Yeah, we all want guns and nice cars and nice trucks....but damn.....at SOME point in time one has to think of saving money for a downturn in the economy and for your retirement years.

Easy to see why this country is now $25.6 TRILLION in debt. Cause politicians are just as financially illiterate as the people who voted for them.

#21 ·
Beats the hell out of me Otto!

This is why there's a retirement crisis in this country. Damn few folks have the foresight to save money to cover 3, 6 or 12 months of living expenses, much less for a 35 year retirement.
Maybe you can enlighten me as to why people do this? I really am clueless in this regard. :dope:

#23 ·
I put money aside for two reasons.

I grew up in a household with very little. There was money for private schools but very little else. That and back in the early to mid eighties. The bottom just fell out of the American flagged shipping industry. I went through some pretty tough times. Never want to go back that way again. I have been living beneath my means ever since.

#27 · (Edited)
I guess I am sort of minimalist? I hate having things I don't use.

So a left-handed Scout rifle in .308. A few 1911s. Everyone needs a .22 because a .45 blows the crap out of the rabbit! and of course a 12ga. Mossberg.

And a few decent knives, including a USN Mk II.

I guess just how things go to hell defines whether the rifle or the shotgun. :D

Tom

#32 ·
Future proofing to me looks like deciding which one to use when that time comes to protect our country from domestic enemies.
My opinion is that "future proofing our firearm resources" starts with exercising the 2A and upholding those rights by supporting the industry and individuals that help maintain the ability to keep and bare arms.

On a lighter note

My debate is between the two calibers of my SBR's one being an AR, the other isn't.
I started a list to help me decide.
The 556 needs a battery, the 7.62 doesn't.
The 556 has lighter ammo, the 7.62 doesn't.
The 556 has small mags, the 7.62 doesn't.
To poke fun at the AR....
It takes (3) 556 to do the job of (1) 7.62
When I return fire, I hear laughter with the 556 and I hear nothing with the 7.62
I'm forced to sit down to pee when I carry the 556 but I can remain standing with the 7.62
It would be a toss up. If it were literally a toss up, the AR would break so I choose the 1911....

#34 ·
Sad times I wish we never had to prepare for. I'm retiring LE Dec 20 2020 and I find shooting simply fun. From shooting clays with a 12, 20, 410 to bolt action precision to AR fun and of course multiple calibers in pistol and revolvers. Not a pleasant feeling waiting to see what the anti crowd will attempt.

I'm not one to fret much but I just read Ted Cruz book "One Vote Away" and I didn't remember the dem's putting forward an amendment to the 1st Amendment to limit political speech (with an exclusion for the press (if you can call them that) of course). That is scary stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.