1911Forum banner

Springfield 911 9mm

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  1911crazy 
#1 ·
Just picked it up,a little later going to wipe off the factory oil or grease,clean it up some,relube,and shoot a few rounds when the weather cools off a little.

#2 ·
It shot great,43 rounds,no feeding problems,no ejection problems,a little snappy in the recoil but very manageable with the grips and front and rear serrations was very nice to shoot.
Trigger not to good.
I know it’s a carry gun,my trigger pull gauge goes to 8lbs,it went over that,probably 9 1/2.
Is that normal?yes I was shooting low due to the trigger pull,grouped really good about 5 yards.

#9 · (Edited)
It shot great,43 rounds,no feeding problems,no ejection problems,a little snappy in the recoil but very manageable with the grips and front and rear serrations was very nice to shoot.
Trigger not to good.
I know it’s a carry gun,my trigger pull gauge goes to 8lbs, it went over that, probably 9 1/2.
Is that normal? yes I was shooting low due to the trigger pull,grouped really good about 5 yards.
My .380 911 has a couple hundred rounds through it, and the trigger has always been about 6#. I think the 238/938 triggers are slightly better, but I prefer the 911 overall. The Spfld has better sights IMO, and the safety is much easier to work as well. Plus the loaded-chamber indicator on top of the slide; I like those.

I have the cheap 911 .380, the Alpha. It has different sights from the rest--front red FO and rear white dots. It also shot low, about 1" per 10 feet, so 3" low at 30 feet. This is unacceptable, since in order to get the rounds to go where you want them, you would have to completely cover your target with the front sight by aiming high. Not a big deal at close range and if you're in a SD situation, but it matters to paper-killers like me.

My solution was to toss the FO rod and cut down the front sight. This is because I noticed that the rear of the sight was higher than the front. So now what I see is the front of the front sight, and it shoots about 3" high at 30 feet. This does not bother me as much, as I can just aim a little lower and not be obscuring my intended target with the front sight. Sometimes I deliberately aim low, i.e. with the front sight lower and not even with the rear, to get the holes where I want them. Other times I just aim normally, but with a lower POA.

I replaced the black plastic grips with a Hogue rubber wraparound grip (pic 1). One grip panel was losing its clearcoat, due to me carrying it appendix/apex and that grip panel coming into contact with my skin and sweat. Now I carry it only as a pocket gun when I can't carry IWB. Excellent backup gun as well, of course. Gonna upgrade to the Desantis pocket holster; stays in the pocket better than the Spfld one that came with the gun.

The gun itself is very accurate, once you adjust to/allow for the sighting issues. I have gotten under 2.5" at 25 yards for 4 of 5 shots, standing unsupported. Also 1.5" for three shots at that distance, using Underwood ammo (pic 2).

I have also shot the 938, as it is one of the guns our range rents out. It is a bit snappy compared to .380 of course, esp. with SD ammo, but also quite accurate.

My main carry is a Sig P365 in a kydex IWB holster, worn in left apex. Put a Hogue grip sleeve on it to slightly widen the grip.

Attachments

#3 ·
Probably get more help in the manufacturers>Springfield sub forum. I’ve never tried a Springfield 911 (or any Springfield 1011 type gun) or I would try to be of some help. That does seem a high trigger weight for that type of gun though.

#10 ·
No doubt that a 9+ pound trigger pull is well over SA specs and warrants return to the factory. Now, if you had a 6 to 7 pound pull, that would be more debatable. My somewhat limited experience with Colt suggests 6 to maybe up to 7 pounds is acceptable to them. Some of my Dan Wessons have sub-four pound triggers.

#17 ·
I also just picked up a 911 9mm. My first and only range trip so far with it, left me feeling the trigger was heavy, but crisp. My accuracy suffered a bit from that (I hope that was what it was anyway). I would expect the pull to get better with use. I also found it snappy, but I was expecting that, as it is a small gun in 9mm. Love the sights. I look forward to getting a couple hundred more rounds down it before I start really looking for anything wrong. Waiting for a part from Springfield first. After my first trip I thought I would clean under the grips. Lets just say that you should be careful not to move the safety with the grip panels off. In my messy shop, I miraculously found the plunger after it ricocheted off of my forehead, but finding the spring is hopeless. DOH!

#20 ·
I just put some moly paste on the trigger sears and it reduces trigger up to 50% right away and more as it works into the pores of the metal

I been thinking of buying a 1911 in 9 mm to do a 7,62x25 tokarev conversion on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.