1911Forum banner

9MM Colt 1911

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  qwiksdraw 
#1 ·
Just bought a Colt Combat Commander in 9MM. I have owned and shot numerous 45 ACP 1911's. This pistol is the softest shooting 1911 style pistol I have even shot. Almost like shooting a 22 LR. Wow, why have I waited so long?

#4 ·
I’m lucky to have 3 and would like to add another, I have an Ed Brown executive 9mm which is truly a fantastic piece, artwork really. I also have a Springfield emp4 which started off a bit rough but has now been sorted and one of my favorite piece’s, accurate and just fun, also have a 5” SA SS RO that quite frankly has been a total pos but I really like shooting it when it works and now after about a year, 2 trips back to Springfield and several months of my futzing with it, it now seems to be a runner, the second trip Home was to the custom shop to fix lousy accuracy which it appears they’ve done, but it had lots of ftf’s and fte’s after and I believe I now have it fixed, fun to shoot and very accurate. I want to add a longslide 9mm but will have to wait until finances are able later this year, should be fun.you’re gonna love that 9mm 1911.

#8 ·
I've picked up 3 over the last couple years, Ruger LW CMD, Colt Combat Commander and just recently a Colt Competition Series 70. As others have stated, great for range time due to cheaper ammo and I do carry both commanders on occasion. I have toyed with the idea of picking up a 9mm GCNM to match my 45 GCNM and / or a DW Valor.

#12 ·
Enjoy Glen, I can understand many shooters waiting so long to try some version of a 9MM 1911. To many, or most, 1911 shooters anything other than.45 ACP, or possibly 38 Super, is just not right. And,OMG, perhaps not even manly:eek:

Wouldn't want it to get around, but I've enjoyed the 9MM 1911s for lots of years.

Couple of you mentioned your Springfields. FWIW, I bought a new SA Loaded a few years ago. Fortunately, it was purchased as the base for a custom gun, because as received, it was pretty dismal. I'm sometimes surprised that SAs in general are routinely praised, while Kimbers are routinely trashed. Over the last 15-20 years I've owned three Kimber 1911 9MMs. All three worked reliably out of the box, without any issues whatsoever.

#13 ·
Got a Ruger lightweight CMD in 9mm thinking my wife would like it, she had previously stated "I don't like cocked & locked".
The recoil spring was too light, made recoil feel like a "ka-chunk" horrible feel.
I put a 16# spring in it, much better, significant improvement in feel of recoil.
My wife shot the 9mm 1911 better than any other pistol she has including a 9mm Shield and Kahr P9.
She shot 124 Golden Saber +P and 147 HST +P and when she was finished she said, "Next time we can shoot some hot ammo"; she was surprised when I said, "That was the hot ammo".
Didn't take much shooting for her to decide that a cocked & locked 9mm 1911 is her favorite pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.