View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 01:30 PM

From the Wall Street Journal:
By Stu Woo
Updated Feb. 9, 2020 1:36 pm ET
SAVE
PRINT
TEXT
BEIJING—The death toll from the new coronavirus outbreak has now surpassed that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, epidemic nearly two decades ago, as the number of fatalities topped 800.

China’s health commission said it recorded a single-day high of 89 deaths from the coronavirus on Saturday, bringing the total number of those killed to 811 people in mainland China.

The outbreak of SARS killed 774 people after its emergence in southern China in 2002 and 2003, mostly in mainland China and Hong Kong.

The coronavirus now surpasses SARS in both the number of confirmed cases and fatalities. China’s cabinet-level National Health Commission on Saturday confirmed 2,656 new cases of infection, down from 3,399 on Friday, to bring the total to 37,198. SARS infected 8,098 people during its outbreak.

TRACKING THE CORONAVIRUS

Eighty-nine people died in China on Saturday, pushing the death toll to 811.
The death toll from the outbreak has now surpassed that of the SARS epidemic nearly two decades ago.
China confirmed another 2,656 infections, bringing the total to 37,198.
VIEW IN DEPTH
Authorities also said hospitals released 600 patients who have recovered from the virus on Friday, raising the overall count of discharged people to 2,649.

Most of the infections and deaths from the coronavirus, which like SARS causes respiratory illnesses, occurred in Wuhan and surrounding Hubei province, a region of almost 60 million people that Chinese authorities have locked down in an attempt to halt contagion. Sick patients there have overwhelmed hospitals, which have reported shortages of supplies such as oxygen and protective equipment.