1911Forum - View Single Post - Dealing with Taurus customer service
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Administrator

The CZ 1911 had a defective thumb safety that allowed the sear to move when the trigger was pulled, creating an unsafe situation. But instead of replacing it with a new one they simply peened the contact surface to remove the excess play. After I got it back (six weeks later) and realized what they had done I contacted them again and demanded that they actually replace the defective part, but they said since Dan Wesson built the guns they had no spare parts and I'd have to contact them instead. So I contacted Dan Wesson and they said they don't handle warranty on CZ-branded products. So I essentially got the shaft. Soon afterwards I began to detect movement of the sear again, but by that time I found somebody who was selling the thumb safety off his gun as a take-off part so I bought it and ended up fixing it myself. Unfortunately the terrible CS experience I had with CZ-USA left such a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't begin enjoying that pistol, and last year I sold it having fired only 200 rounds through it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 06-03-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling error