1911Forum banner

7 round mags or 8 round mags?

• I use the 7 round mags, stick with the original.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I use the 8 round mags, that extra round might come in handy.

Votes: 96 63.6%
  • Just wanted to see the poll without messing up the results.

Votes: 12 7.9%

7 round or 8 rounds?

5K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  400cor-bon 
#1 ·
So, which mags do ya'll use, the 7 round original versions or the 8 round versions and which do you find the more reliable. I noticed that CDNN has the Metalform 7 round mags with the fixed base plates on sale for $7.99 and the removable base plates were $9.99. Metalform 8 round mags were $12.99 so is it worth the extra few bucks for one more round or do ya'll think 7 is enough(with one in the chamber of course so it'd be 8 total).

#6 ·
I've been using the eight rounders since the conversions first became available for IPSC/USPSA. No problem with them at all, they were perfectly reliable.

IPSC targets are normally double tapped, so engage four targets, reload and start over.

My carry 1911 has an 8 round Wilson and one up the spout. Having an extra round can't hurt!

#7 ·
8 round CMC

#8 ·
Mine are all 8 rounders. Todays designs (with extended tubes, as opposed to only a modified follower) are all very reliable. No real reason to not use one unless you really feel a flush fitting one is necessary for concealment. Come to think about it, my flush fitting 8 round Check Mates are very reliable as well, if not a little harder to load.

#10 ·
i still only have 2 factory SA 7 round mags for my loaded. I want to get mags with a bumper on the end because i have pinched my finger throwing another mag in. I don't care 7 or 8...I will probably buy 8 round wilsons just because its available. I don't really need an extended mag 10 round for range shooting. My range rules say only load 6 rounds in a mag at a time (indoor no rapid fire range). I typically just load 5 at a time when i am at the range

now you got me wanted to order wilson mags

#14 ·
I use a flush 7 rounder that came with the Volkmann for carry, Wilson 8 round ETMs for carry spares, and Nighthawk Custom 8 rounders for IDPA. Flawless function.

#16 ·
8 rounders for IDPA, but for carry out of my Wilson Professional I use the new 7 rnd 47D +P mags. I use those becasue the shorter slide and velocity of this gun sometimes does not feed the last round in the 8 rnd mags. These new mags work great. 100% relaibilty.

#17 ·
7-rounders. Mostly Checkmate and Metalform, with a few very old USGI thrown-in for good measure. I also have 2 8-round CMC Shooting Stars which have been 100% reliable since I got them almost 20 years ago. I guess I've been fortunate, but my 1911s (all Colts) work with any magazines I have ever tried in them.

#18 ·
Well, I just couldn't resist the price so I went with 5 of the Metalform 7 round mags that CDNN has on sale right now for $7.99. They also still had their $5.99 weekend shipping deal going on and I wanted a set of Double Diamond Grips that they had so I'm getting grips and 5 mags for $66 bucks shipped, can't beat that deal with a stick.

#23 ·
I ordered several of the 7-round metalform magazines with the welded bottom from CDNN several months ago when they were on sale. I found that they would not reliably activate the slidestop on any of my 1911's. The springs seemed to be very soft. I purchase some of Tripp's Super 7 upgrade kits for them. It was tricky to get the Tripp follower in the tube since it has a welded bottom, but they work really well now. The springs are much stronger and they work well in all of my guns. I also like the hybrid plastic and metal follower. For about $15 each, they are great mags now. Fit flush and still reliably hold 7 rds.

#26 ·
Not quite as many rounds as Bill, but I have been using Wilson 47D's for many years. Shooting 200 gr. cast SWC's with no mag failures at all.

I also use CMC Shooting Star 10 round mags for limited 10 with no problems there either.

IMHO it is all related to making sure the frame feed ramp, barrel ramp and extractor are correct.

#35 ·
IMHO it is all related to making sure the frame feed ramp, barrel ramp and extractor are correct.
Thanks Alland. I agree with your philosophy. Don't have any problems with either one in any of mine. I too have found when someone has problems with a major maker mag, it's usually the gun (an adjustment usually straightens it out).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.