1911Forum banner

Experior

22K views 94 replies 35 participants last post by  Rev Josh 
#1 ·
New line, sounds interesting

https://youtu.be/iSp2mizINuc

I don't know about the checkering, already have a few options, but the other changes sound good, those more familiar with 1911 engineering will have more informed opinions!

#45 ·
In regards to the Magwell, it does seem to be reasonably easy to remove.

I know on the EDC X9 updates vid on the YouTube channel they strongly implied it was better to just order your x9 with the well and remove it (for $80) if you might want it rather then send your well-less gun in for the $200 upgrade.

#48 · (Edited)
I just received my X-TAC a little while ago and that one has grown on me so I have to wonder what the new grip is like. I also purchased an EDC X9L earlier and as such have no plans at this point of replacing or upgrading either. Although the grip pattern on the two are the same I find it is a bit more agressive on the XTAC.

I also wonder how much improvement this new rail system really is.

#56 · (Edited)
I am wondering if there is a higher capacity magazine? Compete against the STI? Aftermarket higher capacity mags?
This. The main reason I haven't dropped $14000 on 2011s is because I really want a Wilson option for open class and limited/open carry type arm since I know it will work.

On the note of extractors I prefer internal not for looks but since I can more easily adjust it if it for some reason needs it, it's also one part not four so I feel less likely to stop working due to a little spring or o-ring dying or a screw backing out. I've never had an issue with my internal guns but my external ones have had a bunch and my new ZEV OZ9 just had it's extractor spring break on me in less than 2500 rounds on the stupid thing. Doesn't instill me with confidence with how many issues I've had vs my "unreliable" 1911s with their internal ones.

#54 · (Edited)
^^^^

There are pros and cons to the internal versus external extractor selection.

But other than aesthetics and tradition (the latter being important to many 1911 enthusiasts), these pros and cons exist at nearly a micro-level of detail. It is such that what might be fractionally better for person A might be fractionally not quite as good for person B.

Perhaps many persons (those with detailed experience) might agree with the opinion (of mine) that a person who has no interest and/or no ability to occasionally adjust the extractor might fare better with the external extractor. But a person who has interest and ability to adjust the extractor -- it's not that difficult -- is likely to prefer an internal extractor....especially if he/she is a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 enthusiast.

If properly designed and maintained, both will work just fine.

GP's and WCR's input above are spot-on accurate (as always). +1911 and +1911

#64 ·
I must say, WC isnt sitting back on their model lines. Reminiscent of some of the car manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes which have a ton of different models that its hard to keep track. But it seems a bit busy for me was my first reaction. Some of the detail/enhancements sound good.
“Don’t be the first and dont be the last”, someone once told me.
But after all, it is 2019...2020!!
I guess the market will determine its popularity/longevity.

#65 · (Edited)
The current variety of offerings is well-illustrated in Wilson's 2020 Calendar.

On the whole, it is good to see the variety (well, maybe I'm not a fan of the Glocks), but I confess to a small pang of sadness in noting the absence of the old-time, full-size SG Classic flagship. (Although there is a nicely engraved Tactical SG for one month).

It's obviously just me, and maybe my age, but I'd surely like to see the SG Classic over a Glock, even a pair of Glocks, in the Wilson annual calendar. Maybe I can juxtapose a Classic SG photo from an earlier Wilson calendar when the Glock month rolls around.:dope:

So there, I got that off my chest. And this detail aside, +1911 for another great Wilson calendar.:rock:

#68 ·
I know I saw it somewhere (cannot find location for this quick response) but I believe the 9mm models utilize the newer locking lug system for the EDCX9 series, regardless of the extractor location. The comp barrels utilize the traditional two-lug design.

#69 ·
The X9 barrel compatibility issue is from the barrel ramp area, not the lugs. I looked everything over and called back and forth a lot about that since I am hell bent on having a comped X9 type framed gun at some point.

#77 ·
I was looking at the Experior Sub-Compact. It's a good looking pistol.

Site says it's 4.8 inches high and holds 8 rounds of 9mm. How did they do that? My Compact is 4.9 inches high and holds 8 rounds. Does the magwell allow them to use Compact mags in what I assume is a Sentinel grip? Or is it a typo?

In any case, I can barely get all three fingers on a compact grip. If the Experior Sub-Compact will allow me to get three fingers on it as well then I might need to have one.

#79 ·
Sentinels always had 8 shot mags with 9mm or .38s and the compacts are not quite big enough to get an extra round to fit I believe whole the full size can just barely get 10 in.

#81 · (Edited)
Right so here is what a stroker gun is, you can see my fullsize 9mm/.45 slides and how they have very different recoil plug sections and with the ends of the slides aligned notice how the fullsize has a half inch more room on that section to slide into the frame. When I move my carry comp slide onto my ed brown (can't fit on my 9mm due to ejector differences) and lock it open you can easily the difference in how much travel a compact slide allows vs a fullsize slide. This lowers the amount of time a compact has to "get everything done" and is compensated by a heavier spring to slow the slide down since it has less space to move and is also lighter and tends to want to move faster as well.

A stroker is when they take a fullsize frame and its longer dust cover/recoil abutment area and make a compact slide have the same overall distance of travel as a fullsize slide would normally have so that the reliability is unaffected and impulse can be kept really low.

So you can see here the compact slide retracts further at the dustcover but has less actual travel, the stroker system keeps the travel and allows the slide to retract this far as well. I believe (not totally certain) this is done by cutting back the long recoil lug section on a fullsize frame to the point that in some cases you can see your hammer when you pull the slide back looking at the breachface. Video below probably explains this whole concept better than I can lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=MvPAriM3eo8&feature=emb_logo

As is said above it's all about the gun acting neutral and is why I hated my 9mm full-size at first because for me it just didn't recover and react predictably for me until I changed the spring to one that allowed me to recover automatically and more importantly kept the recoil event fast and distinct instead of rolling since I personally prefer a quick tap that self resets even if it comes off target more as long as it recovers to where I started and does so instantly. That's one reason I am so fast with my carry comp, that particular gun with the spring pack I selected and my ammo and shooting style combine to allow me to get way higher performance than is normal since everything "clicks" perfectly. My shadow II on paper should do better but in reality since it doesn't recover neutral (it's low) and it's cycle is slower I tend to drop or overdrive shots and can't even tie the carry comp even with a massive holster advantage since I am "fighting" the gun to do what I want to/can do speed wise.

#84 ·
I used this after trying 9-15lb springs since it allowed me to recover neutral, cycle faster (it was slow enough before I was out running the gun on doubles and bill drills) but it also increased felt recoil and initial flip but overall much better handling and balance. The flat wire stuff in general has a more linear feel without the "slow zones" conventional springs have near the ends of travel. Least that's how it feels and acts in my hands with my grip pressures for high speed work, if you are looking to minimize felt recoil above all else use the conventional 13lb

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size-9mm-13-Lb/productinfo/773/

#87 ·
I have 2 DWs and have been looking at the WCs. Just wondering why the single stack Experion cost around $800 or so more than the double stack. There has to be a reason I just thought a double stack would have been more expensive to make.
It's loaded with nearly every cosmetic option while the X9 is made nearly entirely by machine.

#91 ·
Not sure how more models would equate to quality dropping....i think it just means more machine functions. More variety doesnt mean suddenly they are going to have to push out thousands more guns than they already are....they will just sell less of each individual model. I do understand how people are a bit salty when a new model comes out that improves upon a design they purchased for a few thousand dollars.

#93 ·
I definitely feel that way, man. I gotta be honest. From what I've been told and all the research I've done, I've been told a thousand times the Experior isn't "better," it's just "different."

That is horse dookie. I bought the EDCX9 JUST AS the Experior came out and now....Hulk sad.

#94 ·
I almost did the same thing....i ordered edc x9 without realizing there was a double stack experior. Luckily i found out before it was built so i switched it up. If its any consolation...the edc x9 is still a badazz pistol... so dont feel too bad. Plus i could see it getting phased out in favor of the doublestack experior perhaps...then you would have a more sought after piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.