1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Caspian Arms (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   High Capacity Caspian. (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=454528)

Jim Watson 04-18-2014 05:51 PM

High Capacity Caspian.

What with all the 3 gun and outlaw not-quite-IDPA matches cropping up, I am interested in a high capacity 9mm. Not a Glock, what would be the fun in that?

Another shooter and I were talking about the prospects for a Caspian HC based 9mm for such games. I came up with a few questions:

Is the High Cap available in stainless? It is not cataloged, but I have read of other departures from the usual. If only in CM, I would likely get it Cerakoted in lieu of sending out for third party plating or bluing.

Will this be a reliable gun in 9mm without the "tuning" of magazines called for by other brands? Reliable to include proper operation of the slide stop, I want to maintain IDPA capability.

What else do I need to know?

Gary Smith 05-02-2014 03:56 PM

Jim,
We only make them in carbon steel and titanium. Our first generation 19 round mags handle the 9mm best but ther will always be a chance of tweeking in any Hi-Cap 1911 mag. We are working with Mecgar on a new generation 21 rd magazine that we are hoping to introduce this year.

AlchemyCustom 05-04-2014 06:02 PM

When building Caspian High Capacity pistols there are some "tricks" that you need to know. One is removing material from the ejection port side of the frame to prevent the magazine follower from getting blocked by it. Another is removing material from the magazine followers so that the gun doesn't lock back with 1 round still in the magazine. If you know about those things, they go together and run like a top.

Raivkka 08-23-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom (Post 5054533)
When building Caspian High Capacity pistols there are some "tricks" that you need to know. One is removing material from the ejection port side of the frame to prevent the magazine follower from getting blocked by it. Another is removing material from the magazine followers so that the gun doesn't lock back with 1 round still in the magazine. If you know about those things, they go together and run like a top.

AC, are you saying you both items need doing or 1 or the other? Having to remove material from the magazine itself to ensure proper reliability would make me apprehensive.

supercomp 09-01-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Dude
I owe you a beer
Trimming tab in the frame solved my feeding problem
After reading you post, I checked and found the follower was was rubbing against the over insertion tab in the frame, I trimmed the tab and the gun ran like a champ

*MAYHEM* 09-01-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Just for the sake of clarity, would you mind posting a pic of the tab so I can be sure of what you are referring to?

supercomp 09-03-2014 11:14 PM

I'm not alchemy custom
What I did was remove the slide, as you look at the magwell opening from the top,
On the left front corner of the opening, you'll see a steel tab that the mag hits, which prevents the mag from being over-inserted during a lock back re-load.
I never had a problem with my supers, but with my .40, the follower would bind on the tab.
Again with the slide off, I inserted a empty mag and saw the follower would bind on the tab, it was so bad, that it prevented the mag from ejecting from the gun.
To fix it, I chucked the frame in my vice, got out the Dremel with the small sanding drum
And slowly sanded the tab down until it no longer touch the follower, but still stopped the mag from being over-inserted.

Gary Smith 09-04-2014 08:07 AM

That is precisely correct. Thanks.
The tab has to be tuned to accommodate different magazines. It is easy to do. s Supercomp

BillD 09-04-2014 09:24 AM

I've shot them Jim and they are about as much fun as you can have with a pistol. Just about no muzzle rise and really small amount of recoil, it's almost like shooting a .22.

I just don't shoot 3 gun anymore so I don't need one. And, the way I shoot my .40 hi cap would work just as well.

AsianJedi 11-22-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* (Post 5212311)
Just for the sake of clarity, would you mind posting a pic of the tab so I can be sure of what you are referring to?

Ditto on this request. Mine runs like a sewing machine except for the lock back with one round left.

jjanglin 08-05-2018 06:31 PM

Anyone fiddleing with mags for the casspian Hi-cap,.
Ive been sick for the last couple years and have been away,doing ok now although Im still pretty short winded.
Caspian stopped their magazine stock. So Im looking for new mags to work up.

Thanks
Jim sailors custom

wildphil 08-06-2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjanglin (Post 12579808)
Anyone fiddleing with mags for the casspian Hi-cap,.
Ive been sick for the last couple years and have been away,doing ok now although Im still pretty short winded.
Caspian stopped their magazine stock. So Im looking for new mags to work up.

Thanks
Jim sailors custom

I don't know if this is any help. Caspian has a few double stack magazine tubes on their site.

https://www.caspianarms.com/product-.../foster?page=1

supercomp 08-09-2018 04:36 PM

About the only mags made that will work without modification are the mbx extreme
https://www.mbxextreme.com/index.php...aspianCategory

Another option are mecgar Tanfoglio large frame mag but you must modify them by cutting down the mag where it hits the overtravel tab in the frame and the area for the slot that hits the slide stop

Rwehavinfunyet 08-11-2018 05:06 AM

Caspian 9mm high cap gun......

I have never shot a Caspian hi-cap 9mm, and am curious if there is any advantage over shooting an STI 2011 9mm hi-cap pistol? A steel Caspian frame would be heavier, and might help to reduce muzzle flip, but the added weight may affect the ability to stop the gun quickly on fast transitions....???

About 8 weeks ago, I ordered an STI style 2011 steel, W/N ramped frame from L-10 Machine out of San Diego, CA. I recently received the frame, and was pleased with their product. I had to do some minor filing on the grip tang radius since my STI grip safety did not work "as is" with the L-10 frame. The frame cost approx. $250 with the added W/N ramp cut and the shipping, and had to be mailed to a local gun shop, where I paid a $25 transfer fee and filled out the paperwork to obtain the frame.

I also used a Commander slide, a Commander length Bar Sto 38 super W/N ramped bull barrel, and all of the remaining frame, grip, and slide parts. I estimate I have about $1,200 in parts and sights for the gun build. The slide I used did not have a dovetail cut for a front sight, so I had to use a 65 degree sight file, which I already had on hand. It took some time, but since I don't have a vertical mill or lathe, everything I fit is by hand and elbow grease!!!! I am not sure if STI makes a STI 2011 Commander .38 super, but my plan is to use it as a concealed carry gun. My second generation 126mm STI 2011 mags will shoot either 9mm or .38super ammo, and the gun will hold 17 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber..... I already had the second generation STI mags, and use them for IDPA competition with my STI 2011 5" gun with Kart barrel and bushing I built about 10 years ago.....:rock:

M-Peltier 08-15-2018 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built mine several years ago and regret trading it off to a friend. It was a 9mm long slide I built specifically for 3-gun competition. It was a real accurate and reliable gun, and looked good too. I used the original Caspian 19rd mags with EGW base pads and magwell with no modifications and they worked 100%. The thing that sold me on it was the grip was considerably smaller than most anything else. The Para frame and 2011 frame just didn't feel as good in my hand. I IonBonded the whole gun except the magwell. This picture was taken after two years of competition and many draws from kydex. Finish still looked almost new.I also made the grips.