1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Wilson Combat (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Got My First WC Handgun (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1009994)

Steven1127 02-14-2020 01:55 PM

Got My First WC Handgun

Well after lots of mental gymnastics, I finally manned up and got my first 1911 and first WC handgun...a CQB Elite Commander in 9mm (flame suit is on!). I will say it was quite scary dropping that amount of coin on a "tool", but as they say, "go big or go home".

I'm basically a new shooter and have owned a G19 Gen 4 for the past 7 years and probably shot less than 500 rounds through it (and didn't shoot it for probably 4 years until recently). My annual gathering of my high school friends (class of 1980) led to some gun talk with the fellas and I got fired up to shoot again.

So I grab the G19 and take it to a nice, new indoor range close to me and start shooting. Well maybe because I've watched too much John Wick, Jack Ryan, The Equalizer and other other assorted gun movies/shows, I was having a total blast at the range. So much so that I became a member, started buying ammo and targets and going to the range 1 or 2 times a week.

Well of course I needed a new gun. So I spent too much time on the internet and YouTube and decided to get the Sig P226 Legion RX (DA/SA). Since I got the 226, I spent even more time on the internet and YouTube (thanks to an approximate 2.5 hour round trip commute to NYC) and ended up watching a lot of 1911 gun reviews.

Then I said hey I live in NJ and we have a 10rd capacity and we can't carry, so I probably should have gotten a 1911 instead of the 226. Now the WC orbit was pulling me in big time. Man do I want one of those.

My debate was should I get a full size or commander. 95.9% of the time would be on a range, maybe 4% on some classes and 0.1% for SD screams full size. But I'm 58 and the eyes aren't great so maybe a commander. Bill W likes a commander so hey that's a positive. I check the in stock guns on the WC website and see a full size CQB 9mm that has the BP magwell on it. I hesitate too long and it's gone. Then I see a CQB Elite Commander 9mm that has a fluted chamber and counter sunk slide stop (yay) but it's black and OD green (meh). I start working with George and Gunslinger and finally man up and take the WC plunge on that gun. George was super easy to deal with and I would recommend him to anyone.

So far I've only shot 180 rounds over 2 trips to the range and the gun is everything I was expecting. No problems with 115g and 124g Federal and some 115g Fiocchi. I'm not shooting it that well yet...mostly shots are going left...not low left. Still learning how to use the thumb safety. The trigger as just great. Hope to get access to a Lyman just to see the pull weight. It took me way too long to pull the slide stop out and get it back in when I lubed the gun.

It will probably take me several years of consistent training to get proficient at shooting the gun. My MO isn't to shoot 4 times a year and be satisfied to hit the target anywhere. I'd like to be able to shoot tight groups at decent distances. This will be a very long process, but I am looking forward to it. I've already signed up for a Larry V one-day pistol course in CT in April.

I know this has been a painfully boring read if you got to this point. But I just felt compelled to tell my story (and I don't feel like doing much work). You guys in the WC forum have been great answering the many stupid questions I've asked over the past several weeks. If I was a smarter man, I would have stuck with the G19 and put the money I spent on the CQB towards ammo and training. Maybe I'll get it right the next time around.

Anyway, if you find yourself in need of an indoor range in Northern NJ, give me a shout.

Windwalker27 02-14-2020 02:09 PM

Good for you! We all deserve the best gun that we can afford. You will be very happy with your selection and kudos for signing up for training.

Harrish 02-14-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven1127 (Post 13067932)
Well after lots of mental gymnastics, I finally manned up and got my first 1911 and first WC handgun...a CQB Elite Commander in 9mm (flame suit is on!).

Not sure why you would need a Flame Suit for buying a WC CQB Elite Commander in 9mm? Hardly anything there to be ashamed of, or need to defend.

Enjoy your new purchase, it is a great pistol. I have 6 WCs in 9mm, all Compact models with and without Magwells, and they are some of the finest pistols I own. Three are Carry Comps and one is even a CQB!

By all means post some pictures!

BAMac 02-14-2020 03:59 PM

16 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the club, it's a great one to be in!

Striker2237 02-14-2020 04:13 PM

Welcome to the cult! I mean club......I would watch your new gun carefully since there appears to be some black magic that makes more of them materialize for some reason. Bunch of us can't figure that one out lol

apipeguy 02-14-2020 04:45 PM

Congrats on your first Wilson. They do have a tendency to multiply. My 9mm CQB is a Commander but I have over 7,000 rounds through it and not a single malfunction.

Perhaps you could post a photo or two of the new gun.

jr24 02-14-2020 05:10 PM

Great deal! My father has a 9mm CQB commander and it's a real joy to shoot, you done well!

Hawkeye fan 02-14-2020 05:39 PM

Nice.

Grandpas50AE 02-14-2020 06:38 PM

I have a Hackathorn Special Commander blued in 9mm, and they are a pleasure to shoot. You have chosen well for your first Wilson, congrats. Now.....shoot the livin' daylights out of that wonderful 1911.

aaronsappl 02-14-2020 08:41 PM

Congrats!!! You will enjoy any Wilson, I like them all.

It took me 1000's of rounds when I started shooting pistols to get accurate and faster.

My first semi custom 1911 was a EB commander because Wilson did not make a commander at the time, just the Pro.

aaronsappl 02-14-2020 08:44 PM

By the way, we like pictures.

toocool45 02-14-2020 09:37 PM

Your probably right about shooting the gen4 19 and feeding it more ammo. But you cant go wrong with a wilson combat model. We have all got our likes on what model we like. I think you made a great choice. Its one id consider.

Dddrees 02-14-2020 11:32 PM

Great choice, Congrats!!!

PICS PICS PICS, WE DEMAND PICS!!! LOL

Keep looking at YouTube and sticking around here and you most certainly will want more. Thing is though those others will never be quite as nice anymore.

But seriously I would rather have fewer real nice guns than many which are not quite as nice.

tjpaxton 02-15-2020 01:20 AM

Wow, what a great story, I can actually feel your emotion. I’m so happy for you.

You will really enjoy that gun, it is a fantastic choice. I have a CQB Commander in 45 acp and it is a tack driver.

I love the part about mental gymnastics. I’m going through the same thing so I can relate. There are a few models I am real anxious about. I have been contacting dealers, forum members, competitive shooters and lots of YouTube videos.

Be careful though, these WC pistols like to multiply. I started my WC experience in 2016. By the end of the year I had 4 brand new WC’s. In 2018 I bought a like-new WC Supergrade, only one year old . WC has some really nice stuff, their employees are super nice and the customer service is amongst the best.

Congrats

Plantar5 02-15-2020 06:00 AM

Congrats on your first Wilson and seeing how taking the plunge will be worth it.
You do realize you will need one in ‘Gods caliber’ next, 45 acp...:).
Im in N. NJ too...:(, so i feel the pain, but haven’t let it stop me.
Where are you shooting?
I used to belong to RTSP and a friend of mine (who ive converted) belongs to Guns for Hire. Both are good ranges and worth joining provided you dont go at the wrong time. Cherry Ridge is a good outdoor range up in Sussex also.
I out grew the indoor ranges when I added some long guns and belong to a club in Pa now.
Either way, its good to have another NJ on board and in the ‘club’...:rock:

Steven1127 02-15-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plantar5 (Post 13068478)
Congrats on your first Wilson and seeing how taking the plunge will be worth it.
You do realize you will need one in ‘Gods caliber’ next, 45 acp...:).
Im in N. NJ too...:(, so i feel the pain, but haven’t let it stop me.
Where are you shooting?
I used to belong to RTSP and a friend of mine (who ive converted) belongs to Guns for Hire. Both are good ranges and worth joining provided you dont go at the wrong time. Cherry Ridge is a good outdoor range up in Sussex also.
I out grew the indoor ranges when I added some long guns and belong to a club in Pa now.
Either way, its good to have another NJ on board and in the ‘club’...:rock:

I joined Reloaderz since I spend most of my time in Wayne. I've shot at RTSP in Randolph and Union and at GFH. What range in PA do you go to?

Distant Thunder 02-15-2020 07:56 AM

Steven, I love the honesty in that you say you've acquired your "first" Wilson. As you've already been warned, they do tend to multiply. Welcome to the family. Enjoy.

Steven1127 02-15-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apipeguy (Post 13068064)
Congrats on your first Wilson. They do have a tendency to multiply. My 9mm CQB is a Commander but I have over 7,000 rounds through it and not a single malfunction.

Perhaps you could post a photo or two of the new gun.

I read the how to upload pics tutorial and it seems you have to have a photo bucket account which costs $6 per month which I don't feel like dealing with. Any other ways to upload the pics for free?

Steven1127 02-15-2020 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No idea why the orientation is weird. Also you can't really see the OD green frame that well from these pictures.

Plantar5 02-15-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven1127 (Post 13068516)
I joined Reloaderz since I spend most of my time in Wayne. I've shot at RTSP in Randolph and Union and at GFH. What range in PA do you go to?

Ok, thats the old Fuddruckers. The more the merrier. I used to live in Wayne.
Im out closer to Pa now, so for indoor range I’ll go to Pocono Pistol Range in Stroudsburg, Pa. I joined a hunt club in Pa that has a great outdoor range setup where I can pretty do whatever I want. Shoot steel, drawing from a holster, move/shoot/reload, long guns,trap. Its about 1hr 15 minutes from Wayne.
Once you start shooting outside, it spoils you a bit.

Steven1127 02-15-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plantar5 (Post 13068708)
Ok, thats the old Fuddruckers. The more the merrier. I used to live in Wayne.
Im out closer to Pa now, so for indoor range I’ll go to Pocono Pistol Range in Stroudsburg, Pa. I joined a hunt club in Pa that has a great outdoor range setup where I can pretty do whatever I want. Shoot steel, drawing from a holster, move/shoot/reload, long guns,trap. Its about 1hr 15 minutes from Wayne.
Once you start shooting outside, it spoils you a bit.

I'm jealous of your outdoor setup. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Striker2237 02-15-2020 11:18 AM

Love the look of those classic slide serrations, nice guns!

Plantar5 02-15-2020 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven1127 (Post 13068738)
I'm jealous of your outdoor setup. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Its a good setup with my only wish is to be able to shoot further than 200 yds.

D.1911 02-15-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plantar5 (Post 13068818)
Its a good setup with my only wish is to be able to shoot further than 200 yds.

Looks like a good range day. Going to be a while before we get one here in MI