1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   General Gun Discussion (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rotation (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1006928)

vortec 01-02-2020 05:21 PM

Rotation

For those of you who rotate carry pistols, how often do you rotate and what is your criteria for rotation?

flechero 01-02-2020 05:31 PM

My "rotation" isn't a true rotation, it's based purely on dress code. I have a handful of gun and holster options and each has limits to how they conceal with specific attire.

dmthomp32 01-02-2020 05:43 PM

Whatever fits the outfit, location and expectation for the day. Am I dressing for work or around the house? Am I traveling, is so how far and where too? That's how my carry rotation works. Not sure if that is what you were asking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

USMM guy 01-02-2020 06:23 PM

Not much rhime or reason to my rotation.

But oftentimes the latest purchased handgun gets the nod. Once I have tested it for reliability, and have confidence in it. There is a good chance that it will be my carry piece at least for a while.

Striker2237 01-02-2020 06:26 PM

I use the same gun nearly all the time, if not that one I use a 938 or whatever 1911 type gun is small enough to conceal with what I'm wearing. Generally I jump from my carry comp down to the 938 since the former conceals so well.

toodeepsam 01-02-2020 06:50 PM

Based on the following criteria:

Where am I going?
What might I encounter?
What will happen be wearing?

Most importantly:
Wife gets first choice, and I get the leftover.

The only gun she won't take first is a 1911 style.

SAWBONES 01-02-2020 07:18 PM

IME, most of those people who talk about CCW "rotation" are too often merely gun hobbyists who like to carry their various different favorite gun toys.

Be thoroughly, demonstrably competent and comfortable, on demand, with one or two different guns.

If you can't do that, you're fooling yourself.
There's no genuine reason for any "carry rotation" among a multiplicity of different pistols.

Just sayin', whether you like it or not.

chrysanthemum 01-02-2020 07:49 PM

No rotation per se, but sometimes clothing choices affect the firearm selection. IOW, different attire is the only reason why I might (and often do) carry a different gun between two days. Never do I change just for the purpose of variety.

But except for rare occasions when a really small (sub-compact) is virtually dictated by attire, the selection is always a 1911. So generally no change in the "manual of arms". Each gun has a similar feel; e.g., identical grip panels, trigger length/pull, identical checkering/serrations, same manufacturer, etc.

jjfitch 01-02-2020 08:01 PM

This and......

Quote:

Originally Posted by flechero (Post 13027018)
My "rotation" isn't a true rotation, it's based purely on dress code. I have a handful of gun and holster options and each has limits to how they conceal with specific attire.

Night vs. day also comes into play as one Kimber Pro Carry II hasn't gotten night sights installed yet!

Smiles and all the best in 2020!

NDCountryboy 01-02-2020 08:35 PM

"Sawbones", I don't have a problem rotating. I think you should be proficient with several different types of pistols.
Nothing wrong with a da/sa one day, striker fired the next.
I basically choose my pistol based on if I'm driving or walking. Different holster set up for each
Crossdraw maybe if I'm gonna be driving.
Appendix carry if I'm working. It conceals the best.
I think the better question is, do u rotate your ammo, or stager ur magazine's? How often do u purchase new carry ammo.
Does ur ammo change during the winter months when everyone is more likely wearing thicker clothing and heavy coats.

Plaidad 01-02-2020 08:37 PM

I have a pocket pistol I carry when I can't carry anything else. I have never rotated my belt carry pistol, but I am going to start. My regular carry gun is a CCO size pistol that I have owned and shot regularly for about 15 years. I recently acquired another similar pistol. I still don't shoot the new one as well as the old one, so I am putting in more range time with it. The plan is to alternate the two to distribute the wear.

Austin_TX 01-02-2020 09:06 PM

The overwhelming majority of my guns are never carried.

I carry (IWB) one of two striker-fired polymer pistols as a primary CCW, depending upon season/weather/attire, and a striker-fired polymer pocket .380 -- generally as a backup, but also as a primary when attire does not permit IWB carry of even the slimmer of the two primary CCWs. All are well made, reliable, and immediately replaceable during business hours.

Going beyond that seems pointless and silly to me. I don’t carry as a hobby, so I don’t employ a large “rotation” of disparate firearms as CCWs. My firearms hobby is collecting and/or shooting rare and generally high-end pistols and revolvers, most of which I would consider to be less than ideal for carry. Concealed carry and appropriate training with my CCWs are purely practical activities for me.

As an aside, running one’s CCWs hard has also always seemed stupid to me. Every round fired in a gun is a round closer to critical parts failures. After I’m satisfied as to their reliability, my CCWs see very little range use. I own duplicates of each, and the hard work falls to those duplicates.

borderboss1 01-02-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flechero (Post 13027018)

Same here. I'm always carrying one of four guns depending on my dress code.

vortec 01-02-2020 09:46 PM

I only carry 1911's chambered for 45 ACP. All the controls are the same, so no surprises under duress. I choose officer frame pistols for warm weather concealment and commander frame pistols for cool weather carry. I sometimes wonder when to switch from one to another (within the same size group) and wondered if others had any special technique they followed.

dsk 01-02-2020 09:49 PM

I rotate between a SIG P365 and a Ruger LCP depending on where I'm going and how I have to be dressed. Between the two nearly all of my defensive needs are covered. I only opt for a third choice when I go hiking and want something with a little more oomph for the outdoors.

toodeepsam 01-02-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAWBONES (Post 13027166)
IME, most of those people who talk about CCW "rotation" are too often merely gun hobbyists who like to carry their various different favorite gun toys.

Be thoroughly, demonstrably competent and comfortable, on demand, with one or two different guns.

If you can't do that, you're fooling yourself.
There's no genuine reason for any "carry rotation" among a multiplicity of different pistols.

One should be comfortable and proficient with any weapon in the arsenal.
If you don't feel comfortable with all the guns you own, that's your issue to deal with.

SCfromNY 01-03-2020 08:09 AM

My usual rotation is one of 5 H&Ks for the most part carried IWB in a T&T Gunleather holster. My dislike for carrying a gun with a safety (please save any comments I have heard them all) means that I only carry my Dan Wesson on rare occasions. Lately I do grab my Sig P365 more than I thought I would not to mention I can clip it on sweats and lightweight shorts.

tray burge 01-03-2020 08:28 AM

What I'm wearing dictates what I carry, not the other way around.

Ranger566 01-03-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tray burge (Post 13027566)
What I'm wearing dictates what I carry, not the other way around.

Same here.

LimaCharlie 01-03-2020 09:40 AM

My carry rotation includes all steel government model 1911s and big bore revolvers. My thumb wipes the safety on the revolvers very well.

RandyP 01-03-2020 10:06 AM

"IME, most of those people who talk about CCW "rotation" are too often merely gun hobbyists who like to carry their various different favorite gun toys."

I suspect most ALL of us are gun hobbyists. What a boring world it would be if we all had to follow the dictates of some stranger on the interwebs - LOL

YOU get to carry what YOU choose, it is neither right nor wrong. It is merely right for YOU. Same goes for the rest of us in the shooting sports related hobby.

Me, I always have a P3AT in a front pocket and one of three other choices elsewhere. Why? Cuz that's what I choose to do.

USMM guy 01-03-2020 10:42 AM

As stated I am pretty casual about what I carry.

1 Attachment(s)
Generally what suits me at the moment. But one thing that I rarely deviate from is my woods carry. And that is a S&W model 329 PD in an El Paso saddlery tanker rig.

magazineman 01-03-2020 10:47 AM

No rotation. Same P238 all day, every day.

I qualified with, then carried a J Fame a few times. It just didn't work as well for my activities & clothing. So just the Sig now.

No need to fix what doesn't need fixin'

NRAJIM 01-03-2020 11:53 AM

My rotation consists of me rotating my pistol from the nightstand to my holster, I could comfortably carry most of my pistols but don't see the point when the one I carry can be worn anywhere I go and is absolutely reliable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

apipeguy 01-03-2020 12:35 PM

I’m more seasonal with a 4” 1911 with full size frame in the winter and. 4” 1911 with an officers frame in the summer. On rare occasions I’ll grab my 238 for a quick trip to Lowe’s.