1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Disaster Preparedness (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   The one guy that actually has a knife on them. (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=976826)

USMM guy 10-20-2018 11:09 AM

The one guy that actually has a knife on them.

A leatherman at that. And he is the one that is able to save the day because of it. And some people are upset with him for having it in his possession. Talk about sheeple. :barf:

https://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...erican-people/

TRSOtto 10-20-2018 12:50 PM

I'm that guy. I might as well be nekid without my pocketknife.

steviesterno 10-20-2018 06:10 PM

my wife asked if I had a knife on me while I was in my pajamas this morning....

yup, Microtech Combat Troodon switchblade busted out and made short work of that plastic wrap that needed to be cut.

Goldstar225 10-21-2018 06:18 PM

Except for basic training, I've had a pocket knife on me since I was six years old (including attending school in the 60's and 70's as most boys did).

NMPinNYC 10-21-2018 07:21 PM

Two knives. One to clear the dog poop out of my boots, and one for food.

John Joseph 10-21-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldstar225 (Post 12643656)
Except for basic training, I've had a pocket knife on me since I was six years old (including attending school in the 60's and 70's as most boys did).

Roger that!
Precinct Officer and the Inspector needed help cutting open a box of voter's materials. I pulled out my trusty Schrade 31OT and everyone in the place gasped.
I gave 'em the same lecture as Goldstar225 and got the box open.:rock:

USMM guy 10-21-2018 09:27 PM

A crusty old Boatswain that I sailed with once admonished me.

When I first sailed on deck, and came on deck without a knife one day. His words were something like " A sailor without a knife is like a practitioner of the oldest profession missing a crucial part of her anatomy."

7.62Kolectr 10-21-2018 10:56 PM

Every time I've ever been thru a hurricane I've been loaded up the whole time with guns, knives, some tools and snacks stuffed in my cargo pants.

Amos Iron Wolf 10-22-2018 12:13 AM

I usually answer, "Do you have a knife on you?" with "Do I have my pants on?"

I think I'm going to start saying, "Yes. Why don't you?"

It is truly amazing, and frustrating, that there are so many people out there who in an emergency or similar can be so dense and disruptive in their stupidity. "Save me, but don't use anything scary or make me uncomfortable."

Three knives, I mean tools, as that's what knives are. Tools. My primary general purpose. A secondary SAK Farmer for certain uses and on the rare occasion I forget my primary. And a SAK Manager in my left pocket for a few things it does better than my other two.

Plaidad 10-22-2018 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMPinNYC (Post 12643696)
Two knives. One to clear the dog poop out of my boots, and one for food.

I hope they aren't similar looking models!

dsk 10-22-2018 09:18 PM

I always have a knife on me, because my fingernails suck at slicing things and I don't want to break a key doing same. I'm just waiting for the day when some stupid co-worker of mine tries to open a package with their house key and breaks it in half.

Flight Medic 10-22-2018 10:19 PM

Sidearm, knife and flashlight...always!! Only exception is schools, hospitals, government buildings (with metal detectors) and commercial air travel.

earlwb 10-23-2018 06:34 AM

I remember being at a group BBQ and they couldn't open the box/case of cups or something. So I whipped out my pocket knife and cut the tape. Someone was shocked that I carried a pocket knife and complained about it. Go figure. I have pretty much always had a pocket knife on me since childhood. I know to stay away from NYC or New York state with one on me though.

USMM guy 10-23-2018 01:31 PM

I think that all of the media hype is finally getting to people.

They automatically assume ill intent if someone is carrying a knife or a gun with them. That there is no other reason why people would do so. :barf:

Beak Boater 10-23-2018 02:28 PM

Always carry two, one is a money clip from SOG with a small emergency blade, and a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Depending on where I am when asked if someone has a knife I may or may not respond. Was in a hardware store once, customer was in line fighting with a twine lable they wanted to remove and asked if anyone had a knife. I deployed mine opened and removed the tag and put it back in my pocket before they knew what happened. A whole lot or raised eyebrows, like I was a terrorist or something. Wife smiled and said, did you see those looks? Yep…..good thing I didn't have my auto opening Reflex with me, or they would have **** themselves. Decided then it would depend on the situation if I helped someone like that again.
People are funny......oh this is in SWFl auto opening knives are legal here.

The War Wagon 10-23-2018 02:30 PM

I LOVE arguing with sheeple, who have no CLUE that I'm armed, when they're convinced that, "guns just jump put of cabinets, load themselves up, and run down the street indiscriminately killing people." You kinda hope the hurricane sucks them up FIRST - to make life easier for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

steviesterno 10-23-2018 04:58 PM

oh I don't lend knives anymore. I had a coworker ask to see my benchmade. One of the nice $200 folders. proceeds to throw it, ninja style, at a tree. while the knife didn't break or anything, it was a cheap lesson in teaching me not to trust or even talk to him anymore.

Bluesboy 10-23-2018 06:55 PM

When I'm out walking or bicycling, I tote the smallest Bob Dozier Ka-bar folder, in my gym shorts pocket, or cycling jersey back pocket.
It's about the size of the sunscreen-chapstick I also carry, and almost as light!

TRSOtto 10-23-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlwb (Post 12644680)
I remember being at a group BBQ and they couldn't open the box/case of cups or something. So I whipped out my pocket knife and cut the tape. Someone was shocked that I carried a pocket knife and complained about it....

That is beyond bizarre. I cannot imagine......

dsk 10-23-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviesterno (Post 12644992)
oh I don't lend knives anymore. I had a coworker ask to see my benchmade. One of the nice $200 folders. proceeds to throw it, ninja style, at a tree. while the knife didn't break or anything, it was a cheap lesson in teaching me not to trust or even talk to him anymore.

Shoulda thrown him against the tree right afterwards.

I've noticed that virtually nobody raises an eyebrow if you get out a Swiss Army knife or Uncle Henry, but flip out a thumb or gravity-assist knife (especially one with a serrated edge) and watch the soccer moms and dads pee their pants.

toofew1911s 10-23-2018 11:52 PM

I always have a knife with me as well. Just not a one-hand open thumb assist knife anymore. I had opened it 1000 times with my thumb, but that 1001 time cut my thumb all the way to the bone and necessitated a trip to the ER. So only 2 handed open folders for me, and a Swiss Army knife works just as well as my custom folders. Isn't so important which knife I'm carrying anymore, just that I have it on me at all times and that it is surgical grade sharp.

William_Brown 10-24-2018 03:40 AM

The one guy that actually has a knife on them.

Guys on a gun forum talking about having a knife. Cmon, if you have a gun you’re going to have a knife. I have a sad fetish for them. The people at leatherman keep a special bench for me I think. I love my snappy little OTF knives (perfectly legal where I live. Have a whole drawer of small but cool pocket knives and big knives I no longer have a use for. Automatics... not automatics... I love them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jerry799 11-04-2018 05:24 PM

Spyderco Delica on my set of car keys with a Photon Micro light and a chapstick sized stainless screw apart lighter. I have a brand new Buck 110 folder in a case on my belt on my left side. It's the new auto opening model they just started offering. The average person thinks its a standard Buck folder because it looks identical at first glance. Funny thing is, an auto opening knife is not one ounce more deadly that a standard folder. They just open with one hand and give the PC SJW Warriors the vapors...lol!

scubadad 11-04-2018 06:22 PM

Out here in Ohio farm country people look at you weird if you DON'T have a knife.

If you forget yours and ask if anyone has a knife you will heat click click click and be looking at 5 or 6 blades and hearing everyone giving you hell because you don't have one.

JECarr 11-05-2018 12:22 AM

I had an instructor in the Army that once told me that there were few things in this world that couldn’t be sorted out with the proper application of a good sharp knife and a good bright light. A lesson that I have taken to heart for the last 30-some odd years.