1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   General Gun Discussion (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   9mm STI or CZ or ...? (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=985334)

andrew1220 03-03-2019 06:58 AM

Cz ftw!

DaveVK 03-03-2019 09:30 AM

All this talk and no pics...

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/...psr9zn8ckf.jpg

CZ 85B worked over by CGW. Could be just as good with a 75B or SP01 or steel compact base gun. The optic negates the need for long sight radius.

JOHNGUM 03-03-2019 10:22 AM

"OR?" - Since you are willing to go into the + 1000 range, you should go onto the 1911 forum manufacturer site "fusion firearms". they make a number of serious 1911s in many caliber. Read the reviews posted and you may find there is a model which will fit all your requirements. And they will customize to your hearts content! I have an entry model but it more than does all I ask of it; so the "better" ones will be what you need.

YVK 03-03-2019 10:47 AM

@DaveVK: that optic is almost guaranteed to fail between 2,000 and 10,000 rounds. If it were a carry gun, I'd make sure it had functional backup irons.

Striker2237 03-03-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveVK (Post 12759572)
All this talk and no pics...

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/...psr9zn8ckf.jpg

CZ 85B worked over by CGW. Could be just as good with a 75B or SP01 or steel compact base gun. The optic negates the need for long sight radius.

That optic will die. That setup is also no good for carry since you have no backup irons. You need a direct cut for a dpp and irons with at least a lower 8th cowittness.

DaveVK 03-03-2019 01:00 PM

Its not a Self Defense gun; did not want back up sights. I know the BATTERY will die -- wasn't aware that Leopold's Delta Point Pro had issues. Ya'll been taking advantage of its lifetime warranty? Mine is the 3 moa version. I use primarily 124 gr standard pressure stuff -- forget what recoil spring weight, but tuned to throw brass about 6-10 feet away.

YVK 03-03-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveVK (Post 12759736)
Ya'll been taking advantage of its lifetime warranty?

Oh yes. My first unit went back to Leupold at about 2,000 rounds, then again at about 5,000 rounds. It is now at 8,000 but I am not shooting that gun these days.

My second unit is 2000 rounds old, and I just bought a third one for a backup. There is not one DPP owner who I know personally and who didn't have to send theirs for a repair. My friend and his wife broke about 11 between two of them, and his buddy broke 8, but those folks shoot 50,000+ rounds annually. Overall, we think that DPP is 2,000 to 10,000 rounds optic, but we're aware of one that went 20,000.

DaveVK 03-03-2019 02:29 PM

Bummer about the DPP. I'm already north of 2K.

Back on point-- I can wholeheartedly recommend CZ (and CGW for the improved Hammer, springs, pins...). I love my Matte Stainless even with its stock hammer, trigger and sights. The final break is crisp despite feeling the hammer cam, fpb lift, etc. May change out the sights as they are the biggest detriment. Does have the 3 spring kit. My PCR (in addition to the 3 spring kit) really benefited from CGW's 10x barrel bushing. It is now fun to shoot because it shoots tight groups. Best $60 I spent on a handgun.

Even with a full custom job from CGW, the final product won't break your budget.

Sid Post 03-03-2019 06:32 PM

Today I held a CZC Target Shadow 2 in my hands along with a plain jane SP-01 variant and a couple of others.

I really like the SA/DA trigger pulls. Even fully down, versus half-cock notch, it was super smooth and light. The fit and balance were a good match for my hands and prior pistol learning curves. I'm seriously thinking about the CZC Shadow Orange now. The main negative I saw in this brief exposure was the short slide serrations and the general lack of much slide real-estate to grab in failure drills.

Sid

Sid Post 03-03-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNGUM (Post 12759624)
"OR?" - Since you are willing to go into the + 1000 range, you should go onto the 1911 forum manufacturer site "fusion firearms". they make a number of serious 1911s in many caliber. Read the reviews posted and you may find there is a model which will fit all your requirements. And they will customize to your hearts content! I have an entry model but it more than does all I ask of it; so the "better" ones will be what you need.

The 1911 variants are attractive but, to be honest, I think the CZC Shadow Orange is a cheaper overall solution that also aligns better with my past semi-auto pistol experience. The grip angle and fit to my hand on the CZ is just plain better. I'm sure I could learn to run a 1911 well but, why when the CZ option is sitting there too? The hi-caps magazines are a non-issue to me as well whether I'm carrying 20+ rounds in one or ~20 in two.

razorback1 03-04-2019 07:42 AM

Sid, I think you pretty much answered your own question. Stay with a platform you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rwehavinfunyet 03-05-2019 07:37 AM

Optical sights on a handgun....

IMHO, the best solution to prevent optics from failing, is to use a mount that attaches to the frame, and not mount the optics to the slide..... Slide mounted optics will take more stress when they are mounted to the slide, and think how often and fast the slide is snapping open and closing with each and every shot.

A frame mounted optic does not receive as much stress, and will last a long time. My frame mounted C-More railway sight on my .38 super USPSA race gun has been going strong for 30+ years, and the only thing I have had to fix, which is normal, was to replace the optic diode....which is pretty standard since the electronic diodes will not last forever. I have an estimated 200K rounds through my STI 2011 with frame mounted optics, and have "shot out" and replaced two barrels and compensators....but the optics still work great!

drdaytona 03-05-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YVK (Post 12759782)
Oh yes. My first unit went back to Leupold at about 2,000 rounds, then again at about 5,000 rounds. It is now at 8,000 but I am not shooting that gun these days.

My second unit is 2000 rounds old, and I just bought a third one for a backup. There is not one DPP owner who I know personally and who didn't have to send theirs for a repair. My friend and his wife broke about 11 between two of them, and his buddy broke 8, but those folks shoot 50,000+ rounds annually. Overall, we think that DPP is 2,000 to 10,000 rounds optic, but we're aware of one that went 20,000.

Weird. I have about 12k rounds through my Walther with the DPP mounted to it and it's not so much as flickered. For speed games, I really prefer the larger optic window. I have mostly migrated to the C-More and frame mounting but this gun and optic keep doing their thing so I haven't had a reason to reconsider it.