1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Wilson Combat (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Phaseout of some Wilsons (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1013204)

pcar157993 03-31-2020 08:19 PM

Phaseout of some Wilsons

Check this out that I just received from Wilson

https://mailchi.mp/wilsoncombat/disc...3?e=b8ca58660c

Dddrees 03-31-2020 08:29 PM

I got the email.

Sure glad I got my Classic Supergrade not but a few months ago.

Looks like Wilson is phasing out some of their most expensive models.

chrysanthemum 03-31-2020 08:49 PM

The Classic SG is/was a flagship type of model. For years, it defined Wilson's most premium build. From Wilson's website at this moment:

"...our ultimate pistol -- the Classic Supergrade". https://www.wilsoncombat.com/classic-supergrade/

I can understand phasing out "one-off" and derivative (of something else) models such as the BBQ Spl, the Pinnacle, and BW Carry; but the Classic SG was WC's flagship... for years, perhaps decades. As described (accurately) in marketing material for years, this was/is Wilson's very best.

Discontinuing one's "ultimate" product is not something most businesses would undertake.

I'm wondering how much further Wilson will go in departing from the 1911 models and customer options (e.g., 38 Super chambering) that have defined WC for decades.:(

Separately, but perhaps important, I wonder what would occur if someone nominally ordered a Tactical SG, but then requested options (primarily adjustable rear sight) that, in effect, resulted in the gun matching a Classic SG? I.e., I wonder if the order be declined because the Classic SG is being discontinued?

Alternatively, if the order would be accepted, then the Classic SG lives on for practical purposes (presumably choice in rollmarking would also remain?). And I think this would make sense ... to move away from the somewhat artificial dichotomy of SG choices; instead make each SG build a product of customer specs (without the "Classic" versus "Tactical" terminology dichotomy).

------

As a happy, long-time Wilson customer, these comments are made with a desire to be constructive. That's the context.

None.Ya 03-31-2020 08:49 PM

Its probably just a continuation of phasing out slower moving models.

BAMac 03-31-2020 10:47 PM

I'm glad I have my Classic SG!! I did notice when I was shopping that I would see a number of them on gunbroker and elsewhere, maybe they just weren't moving as much. Not as surprised on the others.

Striker2237 03-31-2020 11:22 PM

I'm sure you can still option whatever you want to, probably just trimming the endless sea of sub-models down to a more sane amount.

tjpaxton 03-31-2020 11:50 PM

I predicted this to come. About a few months ago when WC started coming out with all these new models (X-Tac Supergrade, Experior, X9L, ACP) , I said for every new model that comes out, Wilson needs to drop their 3 lowest quantity selling pistols. Just drop the line entirely to thin the herd. They are coming out with too many models where one feature changes the model name.

Looks like they are dropping their least selling models.

Plantar5 04-01-2020 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Their product line was getting a bit ‘busy’ with all the different models.
Reminded me of BMW in a way, coming out with a new version of an existing platform every 6 months to the extent it gets confusing verses better.
But might have thought they’d keep a ‘flagship’ model as Chrysanthemum suggested. But, who are we to question WC. It didnt make the cut, so to speak.
My higher option Classic SG 9mm was a significant chunk of change but is a beautiful piece, that is a tack driver and the softest shooter I own. I never regretted buying it, Now, I’m even a bit happier I did.

DouglasS 04-01-2020 12:21 PM

Eliminating the Classic Supergrade reduces the Wilson Combat pistols available in California from 11 to 10. Perhaps there were not many California compliant Classic Supergrades sold, but still... and their flagship model to-boot. Bummer!!!

TRSOtto 04-01-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrysanthemum (Post 13110534)
The Classic SG is/was a flagship type of model. For years, it defined Wilson's most premium build. From Wilson's website at this moment:

"...our ultimate pistol -- the Classic Supergrade". https://www.wilsoncombat.com/classic-supergrade/

I can understand phasing out "one-off" and derivative (of something else) models such as the BBQ Spl, the Pinnacle, and BW Carry; but the Classic SG was WC's flagship... for years, perhaps decades. As described (accurately) in marketing material for years, this was/is Wilson's very best.

Discontinuing one's "ultimate" product is not something most businesses would undertake.

I'm wondering how much further Wilson will go in departing from the 1911 models and customer options (e.g., 38 Super chambering) that have defined WC for decades.:(

Separately, but perhaps important, I wonder what would occur if someone nominally ordered a Tactical SG, but then requested options (primarily adjustable rear sight) that, in effect, resulted in the gun matching a Classic SG? I.e., I wonder if the order be declined because the Classic SG is being discontinued?

Alternatively, if the order would be accepted, then the Classic SG lives on for practical purposes (presumably choice in rollmarking would also remain?). And I think this would make sense ... to move away from the somewhat artificial dichotomy of SG choices; instead make each SG build a product of customer specs (without the "Classic" versus "Tactical" terminology dichotomy).

------

As a happy, long-time Wilson customer, these comments are made with a desire to be constructive. That's the context.

Exactly. I've been thinking about a Classic SG. So I'm thinking I can still get one made....but it will be a full custom order vs just calling and saying "I'll take one Classic SG to go please".

DubfromGa 04-01-2020 07:42 PM

Dangitman !!!!

.38Super gone...now the Classic Supergrade....grrrrrrrrrrr.

Well.....there goes a future possibility. It's what I get for showing up late to the party, I suppose.

tjpaxton 04-01-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubfromGa (Post 13111522)
Dangitman !!!!

.38Super gone...now the Classic Supergrade....grrrrrrrrrrr.

Well.....there goes a future possibility. It's what I get for showing up late to the party, I suppose.

There will still be some new in circulation for a while. You probably have a little time to snag one.