1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   STI/SVI (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How to tell if a pistol is a fake? (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1001786)

tuckerdog1 10-12-2019 09:24 PM

How to tell if a pistol is a fake?

2 Attachment(s)
Just curious, do people make fake or knock off STI pistols?
I posted another thread about an STI 1911 Guardian with a bobtail grip.
Cannot find anything indicating STI ever made a Guardian with a bobtail.

Next, it appears to have the Georgetown TX markings on the frame, but that looks like it was stamped on top of other markings. I can barely make out South Korea in the pictures.

And last, the slide is blued. Every picture I can find of a 1911 Guardian, it has a polished stainless slide.

I can't get to the shop until Tuesday to take another ( closer ) look at it. Is there anything that might be obvious that would verify it is actually an STI, or not?

If it's real, I think the price is okay. But if it's not real, I'd be getting burned.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

Rwehavinfunyet 10-13-2019 05:43 AM

1911 STI knockoff pistol

It would probably be best to call STI and discuss the pistol.....if the serial numbers on the frame are legible, they may be able to verify the gun.

I make STI 2011 pistols for my own use, and have made several using a company out of San Diego called L-10 Machine. I ordered their 100% completed steel receivers, and had the receiver sent to a local gun shop where I paid a transfer fee. The ones I ordered are very good quality receivers.....

So, my STI 2011 guns are knock-offs, but they are for my own use. I am a DIY gunsmith, and by building the guns, I saved a substantial amount of money compared to paying full retail. Since I am retired, I don't count the time I spent making the gun, since to me, this is a hobby that I enjoy! :rock:

DRM813 10-13-2019 06:26 AM

^^^^

Yes what he said. Call the factory.

tuckerdog1 10-13-2019 08:06 AM

Why do the simple solutions seem to escape me sometimes. I'll call call STI once I get the serial number Tuesday.

rjinaz85308 10-13-2019 09:33 AM

learned something new, but for me the stamping is ugly

ken_mays 10-13-2019 11:46 AM

I believe it to be a later Guardian from STI. The frames were stamped STI Georgetown for a long time, but in the last few years before they discontinued their traditional 1911 lineup, they were using imported cast frames from Dasan of S. Korea, in a cost-cutting move.

The bobtail may have been done by the previous owner.

I'm about 97% sure it's a factory gun.

Descartian 10-13-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_mays (Post 12962622)
I believe it to be a later Guardian from STI. The frames were stamped STI Georgetown for a long time, but in the last few years before they discontinued their traditional 1911 lineup, they were using imported cast frames from Dasan of S. Korea, in a cost-cutting move.

The bobtail may have been done by the previous owner.

I'm about 97% sure it's a factory gun.

^^^This here.

Itís definitely a factory gun but the bobtail and bluing was most likely done by previous owner. That doesnít deter from the gun, lower itís value or void the warranty.

tuckerdog1 10-15-2019 03:53 PM

Okay, got the SN and called STI. Interesting info. This was one of about 50 made called the Black Guardian. Everything is as it left the factory, even the bobbed grip. This particular pistol was bought new by an employee of STI. You could tell by the tone of the guy's voice, he was very surprised this was out there for sale. He even asked me where I was finding it for sale. So, since it is legit, and I'll probably never see another one for sale, I ran right down & bought it. Yay!

Tuckerdog1

Tactical Rico 10-15-2019 04:44 PM

single or double stack

I can't tell from the pics. Which is it.

Thanks, TR

tuckerdog1 10-15-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactical Rico (Post 12964234)
I can't tell from the pics. Which is it.

Thanks, TR

Single stack 1911. They do ( or maybe did ) make a double stack 2011 ( also called Guardian). Pretty sure that one can/could be had with a blued slide.

gps man 10-15-2019 05:13 PM

Glad it worked out.

I have a single stack Guardian that is a great shooting gun.

Tactical Rico 10-15-2019 06:17 PM

All the ones I've seen are double stacks.....

TR

Descartian 10-16-2019 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 (Post 12964242)
Single stack 1911. They do ( or maybe did ) make a double stack 2011 ( also called Guardian). Pretty sure that one can/could be had with a blued slide.

I think the Guardians were stainless slides only. Th VIP which is the same gun but the model before could be had with a black/blued slide.

Kadonny 10-17-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descartian (Post 12964540)
I think the Guardians were stainless slides only. Th VIP which is the same gun but the model before could be had with a black/blued slide.

I think not perhaps? On the other site BPP had a Guardian for sale with the entire gun in DLC black coating. It had a protector package?

PS. I should have bought it, freaking great gun.

QCBPreacher 10-18-2019 09:18 AM

There is a thread at another forum dated back to May 2017 that discusses STI possibly outsourcing to Korea, specifically a frame that was rollmarked "Dansan Machinery, South Korea" which looks similar to what you posted.

Good, bad, no idea, but it appears this is not something recent anyway.

[Edit] NM, looks like I was a day late and a dollar short. Congrats!

deserttrans 10-19-2019 08:58 PM

Good detective work and purchase!

kimberguy2004 10-21-2019 05:40 PM

Every 1911 STI was built in Georgetown, TX except the Spartan.

kimberguy2004 10-21-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactical Rico (Post 12964304)
All the ones I've seen are double stacks.....

TR

My wife has a .45ACP Single stack Guardian.

Rwehavinfunyet 10-23-2019 05:20 AM

STI single stack 1911 Black Guardian......

Glad to hear you found and purchased the gun. I would contact STI via a letter to their customer service dept., and ask for a "verification letter" or letter of provenance to prove the authenticity of your gun. If there were only 50 pistols made of the STI single stack 1911 Black Guardian, it may have significant value to an STI collector should you ever decide to sell the gun. Having proper provenance from STI is best to get the optimal selling price on a limited production run pistol......:rock:

tuckerdog1 10-24-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet (Post 12969910)
Glad to hear you found and purchased the gun. I would contact STI via a letter to their customer service dept., and ask for a "verification letter" or letter of provenance to prove the authenticity of your gun. If there were only 50 pistols made of the STI single stack 1911 Black Guardian, it may have significant value to an STI collector should you ever decide to sell the gun. Having proper provenance from STI is best to get the optimal selling price on a limited production run pistol......:rock:

Actually, I am in contact with the good folks at STI, trying to get something done along those lines.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1