1911Forum banner

Anyone own a Safari Arms?

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  exexpat 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy one and I really couldnt find a whole lot of info on them searching online....The model I am looking at is a matchmaster in particular, but really any info on accuracy and reliability would be greatly appreciated. Its seems relatively cheap for a 1911 and its making me shy away from the purchase. IMHO if I'm going to spend money on a gun I dont want something I'm going to have to work on a bunch just to get it to shoot as well as something I could have paid an extra few hundred on out of the box. Thanks guys

#4 ·
I own a Safari Arms Matchmaster and an Enforcer. I absolutely love mine. Both are accurate and reliable. From what I know they are hand fitted guns. They are a relatively small operation, therefore they don't produce a lot of guns. They are a division of Olympic Arms called Schuetzen Pistol Works, but Olympic doesn't actually make the guns if that makes any sense. I really like the finger groove frame. For what it's worth, these are two pistols I would likely never part with.

#5 · (Edited)
Safari Arms are one of the better 1911 clones for the money. I have built 4 1911's on their frame. All my frames say Olympic Arms on them and not Safari, same company, could be because mine are factory seconds.

A guy name Richard builds their 1911's. He used to build Detonics. You can call Oly Arms and ask to speak with Richard about their 1911's. FYI the waiting period for a Safari Arms is about a year or so.

http://www.olyarms.com/

I am glad they are only 10 miles from me and on my way when I go fishing.

I posted a gun review back in May 2008. THe gun review was conducted back in 1996.
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jun96follow.html

#6 ·
Me Too! Olympic Arms bought in Lacey from the Factory

I bought my COHORT 1911 about 2 years ago. Could not be happier! Tolerances are tight. Controls are NOTCHY. Accuracy - is better than I can use. Checkering is sharp.

I do not understand the criticism of the grip lemon safety. The memory pad is nice. Nice having adjustable sights from the factory but I wish I would have told Richard to throw on some night sights.

I wondered if I would like the finger groove on the front but it does help keep the pistol on target.

Richard M still thinks he owns my gun even though I paid for it. (He'll probably box my ear for putting hex screws on the grips!) That is how much he cares about his product.

I bought mine for $800 and some tax. They are going for a little over $900 now but it is a $2000 1911. Don't tell many others - there will be a 4 year waiting list if you do.

#8 ·
Finger Groove

I am willing to bet either your hand will love it or hate it. I have not asked but I am willing to bet it can be ordered without the rather strange finger groove.

I hope Oly can build faster without compromising quality. Seems that is a hard thing to do anywhere in any small company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.