1911Forum banner

Worst 1911 you have ever owned

30K views 197 replies 176 participants last post by  IronFilex 
#1 ·
These days it seems like 1911's are all fairly high quality even the cheapest, but there was a time when such wasn't the case. So which 1911 that you have owned in the past claims the worst spot.

I'll start off with my AMT 1911 hardballer. The biggest pos in the 1911 realm I have ever owned. It jammed and when I got it fixed it broke at the frame.

#2 ·
I can't say I have ever been disappointed with a 1911 purchase. My "worst" 1911 is a Springfield GI Champion, not that there's anything wrong with it. The pistol simply isn't fitted quite as well as the others I own but works very well for its intended purpose.

#5 ·
1990-vintage Auto Ordnance. Not only did it feel like there was sand in the action, but it literally wouldn't feed rounds from the magazine at first. It had to go back to the factory before I could even shoot it, and after it came back it still had a 10% malfunction rate. To say the least I didn't keep it long after that.

#8 ·
I had a Kahr Thompson and a Taurus that just would shoot really low. I even tried changing the sites. I thought it was me, but I have a Sig 1911 and a Springflied that I shoot fine...

Could still have been me I guess...

JAG

#10 ·
A Colt Delta Elite in 10mm when they first rolled out. I couldn't get it to feed a mag to save my life. After a few trips back to Colt with no improvement it was sold. Boy it was a pretty gun though:(

#16 · (Edited)
Ive had these 1911. from best to "worst"(not as good):

1-Les Baer Super Tac 1.5
2-SW1911 108282
3-Kimber "custom shop" Ultra Eclipse
4-Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

The SA shot 10 inches low for me and 3 other shooters. I knew if I sent it back to SA they would take care of me, but by then I had already seen the sw1911 and wanted it. So I sold it and bought the Smith. I wish I never sold that SW :(

#17 ·
Instead of "worst", I am going to say that my biggest disappointment was when I bought a brand new Colt 1991 Commander when they were released.
Darn thing had trouble feeding anything and the plastic parts used really left me cold to Colt for a few years.
As you can imagine it was sold off.

#18 · (Edited)
Kimber

I had 2 "used" Kimbers.. a 3" Ultra Carry II and a 5" Eclipse Target.. Both shot perfectly... I could not wait til i could afford a new one.. and wanted one bad.. I liked the Eclipse so much in 5" that i went and bought a brand new Eclipse in 3".. Figured in SS that it would shoot better and last longer than the light weight Ultra Carry II...
I had nothing but problems with it.. constant jams, the shells ejecting into my face and head.. i was so disturbed after shooting it over 500 times for the initial breakin period... I finally sent it back to Kimber and they seemed to fix it but i could no longer trust it and I sold it.. Eventually sold all my Kimbers and bought a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special in Hard Chrome finish, its the nicest 1911 i have ever seen or shot..

Probably should have kept the Kimber Eclipse Target 5" though, that shot great, never had an issue with it, and i got it at a great price.. oh well.. everyone says not to sell your good guns... and that you will regret it.. I'm learning that now.. but it seems there is always something you want.. usually more expensive and you need to trade up.. thats life i guess. its all good.

#19 ·
Springfield GI stainless. i traded it for a RIA Tac. it was that bad. i'm not crazy about tight slides, but the slide was so loose that the rails didn't limit it's side to side travel. the dustcover did. :barf:

it was prone to 3-point binds as well with all my mags. knowing what i know today, i could have easily fixed that, but the fitment was terrible. It that deeper machining marks than all of my RI pistols.

for the price of a GI, i can get a RI tac with better fittment and more features. springfield lost a customer with that gun. heck, i wanted to like it. i mean it's a SPRINGFIELD.

#21 ·
This is an easy question for me to answer, a Liama 1911 .45 4 inch barrel. It didn't shoot straight. At 7 yards I couldn't hit the inside of a bottle target. It was all over the target very erratic. I sold the pistol to a fellow at a gun show and when ask how it shot I told him the truth, "I couldn't hit a barn door at 10 feet." I now wish I would have kept the Liama and tried to figure out what was wrong with it. Needless to say that was my last Liama.
Bill

#24 ·
Three different Colt's that I owned back when they were the only game in town. A 45 Govt model, a Super 38 Commander, & Stainless Delta Elite. Nothing but problems with all of 'em. In contrast, I've had nothing but good luck with Kimber & S&W. I'm so soured on Colt that I'll never own another.

#26 ·
Para Warthog; Terrible finish, Trijicon insert fell out during range time, never ever fired 10 rds without 4-5 FTF. Oh this was only after 35 day of buying it brand new. Sent it back, got it back 32 days later in much better state. But not consistent enough for primary carry. :( YUK!!

When it did shoot it was accurate as hell straight out the box, and it's cute looking.

#52 ·
Sounds like my Para PDA 9. My ambi failed before I fired a round, finish is horrible, and the mags are junk.
It's currently at Para getting reworked with the new EGW extractor that's the size of the pxt, new finish and once they determine what new magazine mfgr they are going with for mag's I will get it back.

#27 ·
This is hard to admit because i am such a huge Para Ordnance fan, but i am a fan of the older Canadian guns, not the newer guns. I had a 14-45 limited in stainless and the barrel was not drilled straight, shot 4" left at 20yds. I was just baffled at the poor quality control. With that being said, i sent it back and they replaced the barrel with a match grade one and custom fit bushing in three days. I was blown away by the service i received, the gun was faultless after that. Wish i still had it but hard times forced the sale. Oh well, i am currently building a collection of the canadian paras and am always looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.