1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Competitive Shooting (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Best shooting equipment for the money? (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=977150)

Snoopy47 10-25-2018 07:12 PM

Best shooting equipment for the money?

Glasses, get your eyes checked and glasses specifically for seeing front sight post distance.

For all the money we spend on gizmos for shooting getting glasses has to beat them hands down in terms of cost/performance improvement.

jjfitch 10-25-2018 10:27 PM

ABSOLUTELY!

I have 3 pair depending on what I'll be doing!

Smiles,

YVK 10-25-2018 11:10 PM

I've had shooting prescription glasses from all major makers, Oakleys, Wileys', Smith's, and I have quit using them for several reasons.

Rwehavinfunyet 10-26-2018 04:11 AM

Shooting glasses....

Most shooting glasses use a polycarbonate lens. Most reading glasses also use a polycarbonate lens. Both are impact resistant, which does not mean they are bullet proof....but offer protection from many different flying objects when at a shooting range. I once had a new hammer from a well known gun maker shear off and hit my shooting glasses square in the middle of the lens. If I had not been wearing shooting glasses, I probably would have lost an eye! While shooting NRA outdoor Bullseye, I have had fired .22 cases slip into the side of my shooting glasses. I built a screen that attached to my shooting box to deflect fired brass from my competitors, and also used "cardboard blinders" on the sides of the temples to prevent any hot brass from getting inside the lens area and in my eyes....."Ouch!!"

I wear standard shooting glasses when using red dot optic sights. When I shoot iron sights, I use 1.75 diopter reading glasses that allow an excellent front sight picture on a 5" slide. Even though using reading glasses will make things slightly blurry at longer distance, I can still see the targets clearly enough to hit where I aim.....

RickB 10-26-2018 04:37 AM

About ten years ago, I started optimizing my prescription for shooting - dominant eye focused at front sight distance - and it made a dramatic improvement in my sight and target acquisition.

M-Peltier 10-26-2018 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet (Post 12646838)

I wear standard shooting glasses when using red dot optic sights. When I shoot iron sights, I use 1.75 diopter reading glasses that allow an excellent front sight picture on a 5" slide. Even though using reading glasses will make things slightly blurry at longer distance, I can still see the targets clearly enough to hit where I aim.....

Same here. I also use my readers in 3-gun competition while using a variable power scope. The adjustable ocular allows you to perfectly focus the scope with your readers on so on multigun stages your good to go. The readers I use are actually a true safety glasses with a full reader lens, not a half or less like many safety readers. They are Elvex RX-500's. They cost less than $10.00 on Amazon and come in all the standard reader strengths starting at +.75 I think.

Snoopy47 10-26-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet (Post 12646838)
which does not mean they are bullet proof....but offer protection from many different flying objects when at a shooting range.

Yes, I should have mentioned my Frame and Lenses were chosen specifically with Range use in mind. They aren't the most style'n things around.

waktasz 10-28-2018 09:17 AM

I'm getting my eyeballs lasered in 6 weeks. Can't wait

Rowlf 10-28-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-Peltier (Post 12646864)
... The readers I use are actually a true safety glasses with a full reader lens, not a half or less like many safety readers. They are Elvex RX-500's. They cost less than $10.00 on Amazon and come in all the standard reader strengths starting at +.75 I think.

I have a collection of Elvexs too. Very good lens for the price. I have all the steps up to +1.5 so I can find what works best for which firearm and stance/grip. When I get the lens power figured out for what I want to do I get prescription lenses made for my safety glasses at a shooting sports friendly glasses shop that has become good at dialing in where to set the center of the lens in the frame.

I prefer safety glasses instead of shooting frames or other eyewear as I am a lead magnet.

Rwehavinfunyet 10-29-2018 06:24 AM

Elvex RX-500 shooting glasses

I have several pairs of the Elvex shooting glasses in different diopters, and although I like them, when participating in action shooting in the hot and humid summer here in Florida, they fog up.....and an anti fog chemical is needed to keep the lens clear...Ö I think this is due to the Elvex not allowing the heat generated by my exertion and face to leave out the sides of the temples, since it is somewhat more enclosed than reading glasses. :(

M-Peltier 10-29-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet (Post 12649354)
I have several pairs of the Elvex shooting glasses in different diopters, and although I like them, when participating in action shooting in the hot and humid summer here in Florida, they fog up.....and an anti fog chemical is needed to keep the lens clear...Ö I think this is due to the Elvex not allowing the heat generated by my exertion and face to leave out the sides of the temples, since it is somewhat more enclosed than reading glasses. :(

Bummer. Though I have never had a problem with the Elvex fogging, I can certainly see how that would be a problem. I have a pair of Oakleys that do that to me. Which brings up a good point. No matter what you use they gotta fit your face and work with your body type.

HarryO45 10-30-2018 01:45 PM

New eyes for 3G

1 Attachment(s)
When I saw this thread it motivated me to check out what my local eye doc could do. He said he had worked with a bunch of shooters and he told me what he thought I would like.

I ended up with these. Thanks. I can see my front sight perfectly, now I have a harder time seeing targets further out. I miss my young eyes.

Rwehavinfunyet 10-31-2018 05:37 AM

Shooting glasses.....

Although I can readily afford prescription shooting glasses, I have no problem seeing a clear and focused front sight with 1.75 diopter reading glasses. When using any reading glasses for shooting a handgun, the stronger the diopter correction, the more blurry the background. About ten years ago, I used a 1.5 diopter to see the front sight clearly......now I use a 1.75 diopter for optimal clear sight focus on the front sight. When shooting at 25 yard targets, the target is slightly blurry, but I can still easily see the target to make good hits. As previously mentioned, when I use wrap around style shooting glasses they have a tendency to fog up in hot and humid weather.....reading glasses usually have small diameter and thinner temples, and allow the heat generated around the face to dissipate easily. Also, I have better peripheral vision using thin temples.....so when I transition on wide spaced targets, I can pick up the next target slightly faster.:rock:

sagerider 11-02-2018 04:36 PM

HarryO45, I assume you were given a prescription lens in you dominant eye to insure positive sighting on the front sight and you other lens was nothing but clear. Is that correct? Sagerider

M-Peltier 11-03-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagerider (Post 12652490)
HarryO45, I assume you were given a prescription lens in you dominant eye to insure positive sighting on the front sight and you other lens was nothing but clear. Is that correct? Sagerider

I can't speak for Harry, but for me that didn't work for competition. I need both lenses to have the correction. Reason being is no matter what, you must focus on the front sight. Its not physically possible to focus on the front sight, with one eye, and the target with the other at the same time. with only one lens a prescription lens the other eye has a very distracting skewed focus that slowed me down. The targets and course are only very slightly blurry and no big deal, and I never forget to focus on my front sight, as its the only thing I can get a 100% clear focus on. I use a 1.25 for shooting glasses, but for actual reading I use a 2.0. If you use a much more powerful reader than that you might need to do the one eye thing, as I'm sure there is a certain point that it would be too difficult to see the course of fire to be practical.

jjfitch 11-03-2018 10:06 AM

Our brains are amazing!

When you have different prescriptions in each lens your brain will discern which lens to interpret. People regularily wear different contact lenses and have for many years. It does take a little time for our brains to figure this switch back and forth but it will.

I have tried a variety of lens combinations over the past 20 years.

I currently wear shooting glasses with front sight focus for strong side and distance for weak side lens for metallic/fiber front sights.

Once they are on it takes just a few minutes to adjust. When your brain says front sight you will see front sight when your brain says distances you will see distance it happens so fast and seemless you won't notice the change. No headache!!

I also have a pair that are front sight for both lenses for some types of shooting. This combination gives me a headache.

For shooting rifle aperture sights I wear my "daily wear glasses". Daily wear glasses are also suitable for "red dots".

To try this you can buy suitable "readers" and take out the "off eye" lens leaving in the front sight lens to see if this might work for you.

All the best

HarryO45 11-03-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-Peltier (Post 12652918)
I can't speak for Harry, but for me that didn't work for competition. I need both lenses to have the correction. Reason being is no matter what, you must focus on the front sight. Its not physically possible to focus on the front sight, with one eye, and the target with the other at the same time. with only one lens a prescription lens the other eye has a very distracting skewed focus that slowed me down. The targets and course are only very slightly blurry and no big deal, and I never forget to focus on my front sight, as its the only thing I can get a 100% clear focus on. I use a 1.25 for shooting glasses, but for actual reading I use a 2.0. If you use a much more powerful reader than that you might need to do the one eye thing, as I'm sure there is a certain point that it would be too difficult to see the course of fire to be practical.

You may speak for me! You explained it better than I could have. This is my first pair of corrective lens. I basically got the same advice from M-P from others and my optometrist - and he does glasses for some of the AMU guys.

As far as fogging the lens in humid heat. Yes, it can be a problem. I didnít wear prescription lens in the military, but I wore safety glasses a lot in some crazy hot and cold situations. If they started to fog, you just threw them off, and clean them later, but you canít do that in a stage. I keep them clean and I try to take them off right after a course of fire. Keep my face wiped from sweat. And if possible keep the glasses in the sun when I take them off.

I would love to hear more from others - best practices to reduce fog...

sagerider 11-04-2018 08:23 PM

Harry045 and M-Peltier, no advice for fogging as I shoot in the dry West. But I can speak for what is working for me with front sight focus. Last year, my 79 year old eyes were having difficultly acquiring my fiber optic front sights and my scores were at their worst. I have 20-20 distance but require mild reading glass for close up. Two club members suggested talking to Decot HY-WYO sport shooting glasses in Phoenix AZ. They directed me to a optometrist who is also a competition shooter. I received a prescription for my right (dominant) eye which was less strong than that of my reading glasses and a clear lens for the left eye. Prior to making the lenses, Decot demonstrated what I would be seeing by sighting at a distance target using my 1911 and their lens. I took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the very different prescription. The sight picture I saw was amazing and my scores have greatly improved. Advise you give them a call and hear what they have to say. 800 528-1901 They are not cheep but they saved my shooting. By the way, there is not benefit to me for this recommendation. Give them a try, whats to loose?

combat auto 11-05-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YVK (Post 12646786)
I've had shooting prescription glasses from all major makers, Oakleys, Wileys', Smith's, and I have quit using them for several reasons.

I think about getting prescription shooting glasses from time to time in preparation for that day as my near sight is degrading with age, so I would be interested in what those reason's are (I presume some con's of using them), when you have some time. Thanks.

M-Peltier 11-05-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagerider (Post 12654260)
Harry045 and M-Peltier, no advice for fogging as I shoot in the dry West. But I can speak for what is working for me with front sight focus. Last year, my 79 year old eyes were having difficultly acquiring my fiber optic front sights and my scores were at their worst. I have 20-20 distance but require mild reading glass for close up. Two club members suggested talking to Decot HY-WYO sport shooting glasses in Phoenix AZ. They directed me to a optometrist who is also a competition shooter. I received a prescription for my right (dominant) eye which was less strong than that of my reading glasses and a clear lens for the left eye. Prior to making the lenses, Decot demonstrated what I would be seeing by sighting at a distance target using my 1911 and their lens. I took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the very different prescription. The sight picture I saw was amazing and my scores have greatly improved. Advise you give them a call and hear what they have to say. 800 528-1901 They are not cheep but they saved my shooting. By the way, there is not benefit to me for this recommendation. Give them a try, whats to loose?

Thanks for the suggestion sage rider, but I have tried both approaches.My scores are better with both eyes corrected and I can read the stage descriptions better. The mixed lens method was just not good for me. I could not get used to it, and though it was better than clear lenses, it was not as good for me as a full reader in both lenses.

liggett 11-07-2018 07:45 PM

Red dot cures old eyes!

1MoreFord 11-07-2018 09:24 PM

My last two sets of glasses are what are called occupational trifocals.

They have conventional bifocals on the bottom of the lenses with distance vision above the bifocals with trifocals at the top of the lenses. They are not as popular as other lenses so I had to settle for plastic lenses but had them made to safety glass lens thickness. I also had them anti scratch and uv protective coated.

They work great for me with pistols as I shoot with a slightly head down stance and are also great for computer glasses.

For the first time ever I'm able to see the "text book" sight picture you always see for examples.

LWMac 11-24-2018 09:21 PM

For Bullseye with red-dot sights, I use my regular glasses. For IDPA with 4.25" barrel, I have a separate pair of glasses that I use. The "IDPA" glasses have most of the lenses such that the front sight is in focus with a small, lower part such that I can use it to read. Put the in-focus front sight in rear notch and on the desired target area even though not in focus, and it is then all up to trigger. Have to remember to change to regular glasses before driving!

IDPA seems to be moving to allowing red-dot sights. Few who have been experimenting with red-dot sights in IDPA have noted jumps upward in score and a need not to wait on pulling trigger until dot is EXACTLY in the center!

Rwehavinfunyet 11-25-2018 05:47 AM

Red dot optics....

Few who have been experimenting with red-dot sights in IDPA have noted jumps upward in score and a need not to wait on pulling trigger until dot is EXACTLY in the center!

From my experience, you don't need the red dot exactly in the center.....wherever the red dot is, even if off center, if the dot is in the COM, that is where the shot should be on the target with proper trigger control....

markm 11-25-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liggett (Post 12656574)
Red dot cures old eyes!

I think if you have cadilacks that dot looks more like an ampersand. Up close it's doesn't matter but at distance I have to wear glasses to make it a dot again.