1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Competitive Shooting (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Optical reflex sight for a shotgun used in 3-gun competition (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1001060)

Rwehavinfunyet 10-01-2019 03:57 AM

Optical reflex sight for a shotgun used in 3-gun competition

2 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a semi auto, mag fed shotgun I plan to use in 3-gun competition. Since I am an "old guy" that will turn 68 in November, I like and use optical sights for faster and better sighting. My new RIA VR-80 shotgun is 40" in overall length, and looks like an AR-15....and has similar controls.... the compact size of this shotgun makes it very fast to handle, unlike a shotgun that uses a very long barrel.... The barrel length on the RIA VR-80 is 20" and comes with 3 screw in chokes: full, modified, and cylinder

I was looking at various reflex sights, but I didn't want to remove the existing front and rear flip up sights on the long picatinny rail on the top of my new RIA VR-80 shotgun. I needed a good reflex sight that mounted high off the picatinny rail, so the existing flip up sights were lower than the optical sight.

There were many options, but I finally decided on and purchased a reflex sight from Mueller optics: http://muelleroptics.com/ The sight is shown under "Shotgun scopes" on their website page. A picture of this sight is attached. The sight attaches to a picatinny rail without the need for a special mount.

About 6-8 years ago, I purchased a Mueller variable power scope for my hunting rifle. It was and still is an excellent scope, and was a very good retail price. I also remembered seeing a reflex sight they offer, called a "Quick Shot" that has the ability to change the type of reticle with a flip switch on the sight. It has 4 different illuminated reticle choices, but I like and use the 5MOA red dot. The sight was extremely easy to mount to my RIA VR-80 shotgun, and allows very fast sight acquisition. I have tested the sight and like it, and it was on sale for $99! :)

Doctor481 10-01-2019 07:56 PM

I have a Vortex Razor dot sight mounted on my Benelli M4, it makes transition from near and further targets fast and easy. As you stated, with older eyes (64) the dot is more forgiving.

Rwehavinfunyet 10-02-2019 04:31 AM

Vortex Razor on a Benneli M-4 shotgun......

Call me frugal, but the Vortex Razor retails for $400 on Optics Planet....in the past, I had purchased a Vortex Venom in the $200 price range... A $400 optic is about 67% of the cost of my shotgun, which retailed for $599!

I hope the Mueller Quick Shot reflex sight holds up....however, since it is listed under shot gun scopes on their web-site, I think it should hold up..... For the $99 retail price, I am willing to see how well it holds up, and I do like the options of switching to different illuminated reticles, and I didn't have to buy a special mounting plate.....plus, it uses the very common CR-2032 batteries. :)

Rwehavinfunyet 10-04-2019 05:00 AM

Rock Island VR-80 shotgun test.....

I ordered my new RIA VR-80 shotgun through Tombstone Tactical out of AZ, along with two 9 round mags, and they shipped the gun and mags without issue to my local gun shop. I then paid a $30 transfer fee to my gun shop.

Unfortunately, the Armscor owned company of Rock island has a very poor "user manual" for their RIA VR-80. It did not explain many crucial things about first shooting the shotgun, and does even include how and where to "oil" their semi auto shotgun.....still waiting for that information from their customer service team in Parhump, NV.

I had problems with the gun functioning properly during my first day of testing. I could not get through a single box of the three boxes of ammo I brought to the range, but the gun did work fine when using 12 gauge 2-3/4" slugs. Since the RIA comes with three screw in chokes, I set up the gun for the first day using the improved cylinder choke. The slugs cycled and fed fine, even when tested in my 9 round mags, and locked the slide back when empty. The 1-1/8oz lead with velocity around 1,300 fps did not have enough gas pressure to completely cycle the bolt, so most of the fired hulls would not eject, and the bolt would close on the fired hull......very disappointing.

I called the Armscor Customer Service team in Parhump, NV, and found out for the initial testing, I needed to use a specific load....with 2-3/4" shells, I need 1-1/4oz lead shot, with a velocitu of 1,300 fps or more for the break in period. They claimed they had an insert placed in the "user manual" explain the ammo to use for the break-in period. Naturally, my new gun did not have this added information.....and they never did mention how many rounds should be fired for the break-in period...? I re-ordered the proper "break-in" 12 gauge ammo, and am happy to say the shotgun worked fine with this ammo with the first round fired....and I fired a complete box of 25 rounds. The break-in 12 gauge loads ejected the cases about 6-8 feet to my right without issues.

I had mounted a red dot optic from Mueller Optics, which is designed to mount on a picatinny rail. The RIA VR-80 uses a flat top picatinny rail, so it was very easy to mount. As luck would have it, at 40 yards, the 5MOA red dot was dead on at 40 yards when shooting the 12 gauge slugs I purchased. I did not have to change anything, although the red dot optic sight had windage and elevation adjustment screws..... this reflex sight from Mueller Optics is a recommended shotgun sight, so I think it should hold up fine....it does have a warranty. The good news, the sight was on sale for $99! Only shooting the gun over time will determine how well the Mueller Quick Shot red dot optic will hold up. However, ....since it is not mounted on any reciprocating parts of the shotgun, it will not taking the slamming of a red dot pistol optic on a semi auto slide....such as those used on 1911 and other semi auto guns....

I will be using this shotgun for home defense and for 3-gun competition. With my 68 year old eyes, I have optic sights on my AR-15, my STI 2011 9mm, and now on my shotgun.....:rock: