1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Rock Island Armory (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Magazine Malfunction ? (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=991718)

jiminaz 05-17-2019 12:52 PM

Magazine Malfunction ?

I recently purchased the Rock Island Armory M1911-A1 Tactical II 9mm. I've put 250 rounds down range but I'm having trouble with the first round feeding properly. With a full 10 rounds in the mag the first, second and third rounds jam nose first into the feed ramp every time the slide is racked. I'm using Mecgar mags. I've cleaned and lubed the mags but the problem still exists. Interestingly if I only load 7 rounds in the mags they function properly every time. That's great but it defeats the purpose of having 10 round mags. Is anyone else having the same problem with the Mecgar mags ? Thanks for the help.
jiminaz

TominMO 05-17-2019 09:58 PM

Strongly recommend you polish the feed ramp before anything else. I start with 400 grit, go to 1000, then end up with 1500 grit. You can get an assortment pack of wet/dry sandpaper at the big-box hardware stores.

I do this on all my guns unless they have obviously come with a highly-polished ramp already.

jiminaz 05-17-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TominMO (Post 12830338)
Strongly recommend you polish the feed ramp before anything else. I start with 400 grit, go to 1000, then end up with 1500 grit. You can get an assortment pack of wet/dry sandpaper at the big-box hardware stores.

I do this on all my guns unless they have obviously come with a highly-polished ramp already.

I also polish the feed ramps on all my pistols. This one came with it already polished but I did use some 1500 on it anyway. I don't think it's a feed ramp issue because it works perfectly with only 7 rounds in the magazine. Thanks for the suggestion...

bcdechert 05-18-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiminaz (Post 12830354)
I don't think it's a feed ramp issue because it works perfectly with only 7 rounds in the magazine. Thanks for the suggestion...

Likewise, I doubt it is a feed ramp issue either. Usually, nose down condition is a spring and/or a follower angle problem. Mec-Gar are generally good enough quality magazines, but you might try buy spring follower combination from CMC, Wilson, or some of manufacturer. Without seeing your current set up, I can't recommend ways to modify the spring and follower, but they can sometimes be manipulated to increase the pressure on the front of the cartridge. Especially when at full compression, the spring has to "collapse" to make room for the last couple of rounds. That is why your mags work fine for the last 7 rounds.

drail 05-18-2019 08:32 AM

Magazines that hold more rounds than the original design have always caused more problems than they solve. Extra rounds won't help you if the gun won't feed 100% all of the time. "Polishing" the ramp isn't going to solve the problem and may very well cause new problems.

Homicide 05-18-2019 08:56 AM

The first thing i would try is to disassemble the magazine. Stretch the spring making it a little longer. Reassemble the magazine and see if that takes care of the feeding problem.

Magnumite 05-18-2019 02:27 PM

New extra power mag spring. I bought the same mag, misfeed on first round of full mag. All the 9 round mags ram flawlessly. Pushing on the follower the spring felt a little soft. Replaced it with an extra power Wolff spring. No issues since.

JaysGone 05-18-2019 04:45 PM

Personally Id get some other brand magazine and give that a try. Polishing the feed ramp wont affect the mags.
I use mostly Metal Form with my 4 RIA 1911s. If the gun came with an ACT mag then that's what Ive gotten. Nose up I believe is a follower issue. My Sig P938 with every OEM Sig mag is a nose up deal. Very annoying but they do all feed fine.

MyRIA.451911 05-18-2019 04:54 PM

I went with wilson combat magazines...and when my ria quit barking like it should...i put in wolff springs and it started howling!!

jiminaz 05-18-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drail (Post 12830578)
Magazines that hold more rounds than the original design have always caused more problems than they solve. Extra rounds won't help you if the gun won't feed 100% all of the time. "Polishing" the ramp isn't going to solve the problem and may very well cause new problems.

The pistol came with the Mecgar 10 round mag and I bought two more identical mags from Greg Cote. I bought the mags before the pistol was delivered. Now I wish I would have waited to see how the factory mag worked. Maybe a different mag will work better.

jiminaz 05-18-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homicide (Post 12830608)
The first thing i would try is to disassemble the magazine. Stretch the spring making it a little longer. Reassemble the magazine and see if that takes care of the feeding problem.

Good idea I was thinking the same thing. I'll give that a try. Thanks...

drail 05-18-2019 09:24 PM

Stretching a spring to make it longer detroys the temper in the spring and leaves it weaker than it was before. Buy a new one. Springs are cheap.

jennflip 07-11-2019 10:40 AM

mec gar mags

I have 3 of the mags sold by Armscor with the rounded top follower which work fine--then I purchased the mec-gar 10 rounders which will not feed if they have more than 7 rounds without the "nose dip" go figure...