1911Forum banner

IDPA Gun Specs?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  IDPA-nut 
#1 ·
What are the IDPA gun size and weight specs for 1911s? Can I buy the "box" somewhere to test myself?

Regards,
Greyson

#5 ·
You'd have to do a lot to a 1911 to keep it from fitting The Box.
Low Bomar sights + beavertail, + magazine base pad + ambi safety will fit, what more do you need? I guess if you wanted to use a bullseye type gun with high sights, you might have to use thin base pads.

Weight is a different matter, it is not unknown to hang a FLGR and steel mag well funnel on one of the beefier frames and go over 41 oz.

#10 ·
Eclipse(d) the weight limit

I just bought a full size Kimber Eclipse (has a full-length guide rod) and added a steel Smith & Alexander magguide and Larry Davidson Horned Lizard grips. It weighs 40.9 oz. I had to get Larry to make the grips with a 1oz weight reduction on the underside of the grips to make weight. A stock out of the box Eclipse is 37oz (listed at 38oz on the website). You do have to be careful if you are adding things, but if you watch what you're doing, you can make it. S&A makes an aluminum magguide also.

Here's a very random list of weights I recorded when putting this gun together:
Eclipse = 37.0 oz
stock mag 2.4
Pacmyer grips 3.3
wood kimber grips 1.7oz
S&A Magwell SS Flat 2.8 in pkg
S&A Magwell AL Flat 1.1 in pkg
Wilson ETM & 47D mags 2.4 oz or 2.3 (actual)
37.9 oz kimber with LD grips and no MSH
MSH internals 0.3 oz

JIM

#11 ·
Anyone know off the top of your head (I'll research if not) does a stock SA Professional Model meet IDPA standards for weight and 'box'??

Thanks and Regards,

#14 ·
All of the FAT in a TRP is in the grips and guide rod. The G10 grips are 2.2oz. The Guide rod is about the same. Swap in a GI guide rod and plug and any non-g10 grips and you'll lose more than enough to be IDPA legal. The box is easy.... they all basically fit, unless you have something WAY outside normal.

#16 ·
I am not ready to try any competition shooting but I am getting there. Brand new to the 1911 and in a really steep learning curve, which brings me to the question, specs and all that..

I have watched some of the you-tube "films' on comp shooting, Todd Jarrett for one. Either he has the strongest wrist in the world or shoots a lighter load than a factory WW White box loads or I have zero wrist strength.

Please tell me if he, and others, is shooting target loads or something like a 9mm. if he/they/shoot full loads, tell me to swap my real 1911 for a rim fire. I can take it. Maybe I still have time to grow into a .45. At least I can look at my Grand Raptor while I'm growing into it.

thanks in advance, I hope.

#17 ·
Todd Jarrett is probably shown shooting tailored USPSA Major Power Factor loads. They are lighter than WWB but are not powderpuff midrange loads as is shot for bullseye competition.

What are you waiting for?
If you know how your gun operates, can shoot it with any reasonable chance of hitting an 18" target, and can draw it from a holster safely, you are ready to compete at USPSA/IPSC or IDPA. Your scores and match standings will motivate you to practice.

#19 ·
Thanks for the replies. What I am waiting for is a cure to all the NRA Gun Safety I got as a child. Don't run with a weapon, load only when the muzzle is pointed down range. and all that jazz. Yep I do hunt but that seems a lot different that shooting steel and moning through a course.

Or maybe it is that I don't want to look like a fool in front of a bunch of floke who are already at a competative level.
I shoot a full size 1911 and even with some coaching on bdl - tap ing, there is just too much muzzle rise, it seems.

Where do you get the "just a little lighter" loads? And where are shoots near Dallas, Texas? and are there any gun ranges / clube where they allo shooting steel targets?

#20 ·
What I am waiting for is a cure to all the NRA Gun Safety I got as a child. Don't run with a weapon, load only when the muzzle is pointed down range. and all that jazz.
The only "cure" is to get out and learn to do things a different way, but still safely. A beginning shooter at IDPA or IPSC(USPSA) should NOT be running in the first place. The old saying "Do not run before you can walk." should be taken literally in the action shooting sports.
You WILL load with the muzzle downrange even if on the move or hunkered behind cover... or you will be disqualified for safety rule violation. Learn to do it right.

Or maybe it is that I don't want to look like a fool in front of a bunch of floke who are already at a competative level.
Then you will have an extremely long wait. No amount of study or practice will completely elminate human error. Nobody cares if you look foolish, we all do at one time or another and you have to start somewhere. Just don't do anything foolishly unsafe. I well recall champion professional shooter Rob Leatham getting lost on a complex drill at the IDPA National Championships and accruing a Procedural Penalty. He just grinned and moved on to the next stage.

I shoot a full size 1911 and even with some coaching on bdl - tap ing, there is just too much muzzle rise, it seems.
That's the point, you just have to deal with it. It is known as "major power factor" and you are rewarded in the scoring for learning to manage the extra recoil in IPSC and have a competitive division of your own in IDPA.

Where do you get the "just a little lighter" loads?
Off my Dillon reloading press.
Commercial choices are limited, although a friend says the Wolf brand from Russia is relatively mild. It works for him, I don't think he has pulled the handle on his press this year. But I like my own stuff.

And where are shoots near Dallas, Texas?
Go to www.uspsa.org and enter your zip code in the Find A Club box on the right of the home page.
Go to www.idpa.com and click on Club Info in the left menu, then Club Listing, then Texas on the map that comes up.

I don't know about steel shooting, not my sport.

#21 ·
Looking foolish at IDPA?

There are only two ways you can look foolish at most IDPA clubs:

1) Fail to handle you weapon in a safe manner

2) Fail to know and acknowledge your level of ability

If you go and handle your firearm with respect for it, the four rules of gun safety and follow the range rules (most IDPA ranges are "COLD," meaning until you are TOLD to "Load and Make Ready" it is unloaded and IN YOUR HOLSTER, And,

Be honest with the Safety officers about it being you first match,

you will have a great time.

No one is there to laugh at the "newbies," they want you to have fun and come back.

But, NO ONE has any tolerance for mall ninjas an unsafe shooters.

GO, Shoot, be safe and HAVE FUN

#22 · (Edited)
Whole heartedly agree!!

This year is my first season shooting IDPA. I have been shooting competitively for many years but IDPA is new in my area. Prior to this, service pistol, service rifle, bullseye, turkey shoots, NRA club matches.........YAWN......sorry, where were we?

All shooting and handling of firearms MUST be done safely PERIOD.

That said. IDPA, IPSC/USPSA, Falling Plate, CAS/SASS, Pin shoots, Action Pistol, 3-Gun. R O C K my world. The shooters are world class in every way, adopting a mentality that we are out to have fun, and it is every shooters responsibility to ensure that the new shooter has a great day. Without new shooters the sport can't grow, so there will be less matches, less clubs, less good media, and most importantly less empty brass for me to scrounge. My Fiancee' is shooting now, co-workers are showing interest in joining, new freinds and contacts are made at every match.

Most clubs (mine does at least) has "New to competition" clinics, you are assumed to know how to safely operate and shoot your firearm of choice, if not they have classes for that too. They spend some time in the classroom explaining terminology, rules, scoring, safety, equipment, and example stages. Then they move out to the range where they have stages set up and they walk through them and then let you shoot them. No timer, no scoresheet, no worry's.

If a club in your area dosen't have a clinic soon, just stop by their next match, come early, talk to people, ask questions, watch how it is done, offer to help setup/breakdown. As you can tell by the average length of my posts I like to talk / type.

BE WARNED: Once you add Action and Adrenaline to your shooting, you may not be able to go back to Slow, Timed, Rapid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.