1911Forum banner

thoughts on the S&W AR in 22lr

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  RapidFire101 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts on this rig - good - bad - indifferent!

are they worth the $435 to $450 bucks???!!!

#2 ·
My brother has one, I dont yhink he paid that much. It is fun and cheap to shoot, I like it better than a conversion kit.

#4 ·
they seem to be well built and fun and cheap to shoot

I wonder if it is the better value for the AR in 22lr
have to start my research!!!!

#10 ·
I won one at a gun bash and it has been a blast to shoot. My friend likes it more then his 10/22 tactical. I still like shooting my 5.56 more but you cant beat the price to shoot the 15-22 and the ergonomics stay pretty much the same when you switch to and from. Also most aftermarket parts such as stocks/grips/rail accessories made for the ar15 work on the 15-22.

#12 ·
I absolutely love mine. It has around 1500-2000 rounds down the tube (mostly CCI Blazer) and was used for an Appleseed shoot last summer. I missed Rifleman classification by 2 points, but it was not the rifle's fault. In the 2-day course, I fired around 700 rounds and it functioned flawlessly, except for the couple times I messed up loading the mags. I started on the first day with the iron sights, but found out my eyes weren't up to it. I mounted a 2-7X32 Nikon scope for the second day and did much better when I could keep the sweat out of my eyes. It won't out-shoot my .22 Savage bolt gun, but is not far behind. The light weight and inexpensive cost and availability of magazines and the faithfulness to the original AR dimensions and controls are all advantageous. Lest you all think this is a 15-22 love-fest, the one thing that was absolutely horrible was the heavy, gritty trigger. I had a RR 2-stage laying around, so I just put it in the 15-22 and problem fixed, although I think you could probably work on the stock trigger to make it a lot better, without spending the extra money for a different trigger. The take down for cleaning is also a cinch.

#13 ·
I believe that it is the best AR-22LR you can buy right now but you might as well save your money and buy a 10/22 for half the price IMO. Yes the S&W has the AR feel to it and everything but it is still way off from an AR in .223 as far as recoil and trigger pull go, obviously. I feel that those are the two main variables that judge your precision with a rifle and since they aren't the same as a .223 AR then it's no different then any other .22 rifle. If you have your heart set on it don't let me deter you from getting it I have shot many rounds through one of these, but also know that it's a fairly expensive .22 rifle.

#14 ·
+10

Mine i a blast. Mounted an EOTech XPS-2 sight on it and it is as fun a gun as I've ever shot.

Hint....buy the model with the 25 rd mag and buy 2 spare mags.

#16 ·
WOW - thanks for all the great replies.

I want the AR - config - will be a good training rifle for my grandson for a 223 cal. but it is a bit spendy.

If I do decide to go this way I think I want the tactical model.

#18 ·
is it easy to do the conversions to the new Tapco furniture for the 10/22

and I am assuming you are describing your rig - can you post a picture?;)

#20 ·
I bought one used but unfired. It was fun until the extractor blew up. I emailed s&w about it and they said that it was covered under their lifetime warranty and emailed me a call tag. I boxed it up and sent it in. They repaired it and sent it back to me about a month later. Took it out this last weekend and it shot great. I really like it. I have cheap NC star red dot and 4x scope that I play around with. I might even consider this Eotech. http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/sights/xps2rf

#21 ·
Why not spend just a little bit more and get a red dot that isn't restricted to rimfire rifles?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.