1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   LEO Duty (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Anyone carrying a Commander? (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=873538)

Kev_byf 11-13-2017 11:28 PM

Anyone carrying a Commander?

Does anyone here carry a lightweight Commander as a duty gun? Just curious.

dmorris68 11-13-2017 11:56 PM

If you're only interested in duty carry, I can't help you.

But I do carry DW's version of a LW Commander as my EDC, a Valkyrie Commander in 9mm.

Personally were I openly carrying a duty weapon, I'd likely go for a full-size unless I was undercover/plainclothes.

DRM813 11-14-2017 02:42 PM

I used to. Kind of.

In a plain clothes assignment for seven years I carried a Sig Sauer 1911 with an aluminum frame and commander length barrel. I got it on Gunbroker and it was a special run someone ordered and not a catalog item. Still carry it some times but now I use a Sig Tacops traditional slide.

rangertrace 11-14-2017 03:48 PM

More or less. Wilson EDC X9. I love the size and weight of the pistol for plain clothes duty use.

exhog 11-14-2017 04:06 PM

Yes. DW all day, every day. Cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

apipeguy 11-14-2017 05:38 PM

In my 39 years as an LEO I never had the opportunity to carry a 1911. If I had, it would have been a Commander (or a 4”) when I was in the detective bureau and I would have no qualms about carrying one in uniform.

Tootie 11-14-2017 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I carry a LW Wiley Clapp Commander in my rotation but not as a duty carry. Not an LEO!

Kev_byf 11-16-2017 04:33 PM

This would be in uniform in a Safariland 070.

I've carried a steel Colt Government for ten years (Glocks for the first few). As I get older I want to lighten my duty belt. I'm thinking of buying a Wiley Clapp Colt Lightweight, changing the thumb safety, hard-chroming the bottom end, and carrying it for the 16 years I have left. Figured it would be easier to carry off-duty as well.

JPD158 11-19-2017 12:16 AM

Carry a WC LW Commander off duty.

epb1265 11-19-2017 02:27 PM

Wilson ULC Professional every day, concealed.

retsgt 11-22-2017 03:51 PM

I'm not on the job anymore, but my current EDC is a vintage 1971 combat commander. I picked it up used. The previous owner decided to cerakote it FDE and put some chewed up Pachmayrs on it. It was born satin nickle which explains the refinish (personally, I like satin nickle colts. A weakness of mine). I discarded the Pachmayrs, replaced the recoil and FP spring and it shoots like a champ. I am thinking about refinishing it but no one does satin nickle anymore. I have an old commander I had armaloyed and that would be nice. A slight carry bevel, some Harrison retro sights and some classic Colt walnut grips!

Kev_byf 11-24-2017 10:01 PM

Well, put a new Wiley Clapp Lightweight 45 Commander on layaway. I have a set of Spegel grips to go on and just ordered a Hogue aluminum arched MSH and basketweave Safariland 200 for it for uniform carry.

lahiredgun 01-12-2018 10:20 PM

If I ever promote to detective I plan to carry a Lightweight Commander as my duty sidearm

TEXMEX 01-17-2018 04:01 AM

Not right now but I carried a Colt Commander for several years. The one I had was very slick and had a good trigger. All the capacity with less weight. I felt like Bat Masterson with the lightweight short barrel quick draw special. I really like the feel of the full size grip. The shorter barrel makes it easier to sit in the car and faster out of the holster. I put two Winchester Silvertips into an escaped convict who was driving a stolen car and shooting at us with a stolen gun. I would have been happy with a little more penetration, but those Winchester's made huge holes that let in lots of air and let out lots of blood. He survived but it did take the wind out of his sails and stop him from shooting at us. I do have a Colt Defender Plus that would make for a lighting quick draw. I might just carry it loaded with FMJ and figure speed, bullet placement, penetration and going through whatever barriers are in the way plus enhanced reliability wjill make it a force to be reckoned with.

tray burge 01-17-2018 08:39 AM

Not LEO, but LW Commanders are all I carry now.

Kevin Rohrer 01-19-2018 02:31 PM

I don't carry one for duty use, just off-duty and for plainclothes stuff.

I strongly recommend a full-size 1911 for Patrol, as the longer sight radius helps for shooting aimed fire at longer ranges. It also gives you more mass for when it has to be used as a bludgeon (don't ask me how I know this).

Che 01-19-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXMEX (Post 11639290)
Not right now but I carried a Colt Commander for several years. The one I had was very slick and had a good trigger. All the capacity with less weight. I felt like Bat Masterson with the lightweight short barrel quick draw special. I really like the feel of the full size grip. The shorter barrel makes it easier to sit in the car and faster out of the holster. I put two Winchester Silvertips into an escaped convict who was driving a stolen car and shooting at us with a stolen gun. I would have been happy with a little more penetration, but those Winchester's made huge holes that let in lots of air and let out lots of blood. He survived but it did take the wind out of his sails and stop him from shooting at us. I do have a Colt Defender Plus that would make for a lighting quick draw. I might just carry it loaded with FMJ and figure speed, bullet placement, penetration and going through whatever barriers are in the way plus enhanced reliability wjill make it a force to be reckoned with.

Job well done sir.

I carried a LW Commander when I worked undercover on Auto Theft.

threewinmag 01-20-2018 09:06 AM

I carried a Colt Defender .45ACP off-duty, before I retired, but never on duty. We carried Glocks so I had that as a duty weapon and it's corresponding mini-Glock as a back-up. Now, I carry the Defender as a CCW piece.

Joe O 01-20-2018 01:14 PM

I always carry a commander, and if a LEO I would do the same if allowed 45 till recently then occasionally a 9mm i'm waiting on. well see.

jedi391 01-20-2018 09:56 PM

I don’t see the point of the commander, Barrel length isn’t what’s hard to conceal and the weight difference isn’t much. The added functional window of the extra barrel length is more than worth it.

dmorris68 01-21-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi391 (Post 11662754)
I don’t see the point of the commander, Barrel length isn’t what’s hard to conceal and the weight difference isn’t much. The added functional window of the extra barrel length is more than worth it.

I would disagree. For me it's the opposite: grip/frame size is easier to conceal than barrel. And by "easier to conceal" I'm talking comfort, not necessarily the risk of printing. Depending on how you carry and your body type, that extra 3/4" to an inch of barrel can make a big different in comfort. Especially when sitting. It also reduces weight to have less barrel. I'd rather keep the full size frame and capacity and give up that little extra barrel.

Obviously I'm not along because they're hugely popular formfactors.

DRM813 01-21-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi391 (Post 11662754)
I donít see the point of the commander, Barrel length isnít whatís hard to conceal and the weight difference isnít much. The added functional window of the extra barrel length is more than worth it.

I disagree too. The inch shorter barrel swings faster between targets than a full size. I carry a full size in uniform but in plain clothes I always carry a 4.25 or 3 inch gun.

Fazer386 01-24-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM813 (Post 11666586)
I disagree too. The inch shorter barrel swings faster between targets than a full size. I carry a full size in uniform but in plain clothes I always carry a 4.25 or 3 inch gun.

Iíd say a group of USPSA Limited shooters would disagree, full size 1911s rule the Division. They swing really fast between targets.

IMHO, a 3Ē Officer size pistol should never be carried as a duty gun.

Fazer386 01-24-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev_byf (Post 11238610)
Does anyone here carry a lightweight Commander as a duty gun? Just curious.

Nope - Glocks on patrol for now. We need Chief to retire, the right Deputy Chief to be promoted and railed 1911s will be authorized.

Rwehavinfunyet 02-01-2018 06:54 AM

Commander length for LE officer....

When I was a Deputy Sheriff, our agency supplied and let us choose a Glock firearm in either 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45acp. I chose a Glock 21 (.45acp) which allowed 14 rounds and two spare mags. With full duty equipment working patrol, we carried roughly 25 lbs. of gear on our body, so running down a criminal was not easy..... I carried/wore a kevlar vest with steel trauma plate, radio, Taser, handcuffs, Strion 6" flashlight, Glock 21 and holster with two spare mags in pouches, and had an expandable baton which I never carried.....

If I had been given the choice to purchase my own weapon, I would have used an STI 2011 .38 super with a Commander slide, adjustable tritium night sights, and a 126mm flush fit mag that holds 17 rounds, and two spare 140mm mags that hold 20 rounds each.......

Since the STI 2011 has a polymer grip, it weighs less than an all steel high capacity gun.....and the shorter slide saves on weight also. For me, an STI 2011 Commander .38 super would be my ideal LE gun if I was on patrol.....an STI 2011 Guardian 9mm would be my choice if working plain clothes....