1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Second Amendment News ONLY (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Here we go. (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=691321)

LW McVay 11-21-2016 07:56 AM

Here we go.

Note the new name of this Sub-Forum.

Second Amendment News ONLY

This will not be a dumping ground for general political talk.

cdhbrad 11-21-2016 08:26 AM

Thank you!!!!!!

47cubpilot 11-21-2016 09:10 AM

I like it!!

airgunbuff 11-21-2016 10:05 AM

Forgive me BUTTTTTT

What the hell are you guys afraid of ???? We are all grown men here and in my mind you guys are acting like nanny's or something !! I think we all have had enough of the nanny state !!
Now I know I am just a guest here and I try to respect all the rules but this is a bit much.... If someone comes here and gets their little feeling hurt so be it.... This nanny crap is what is wrong with this country. Idiots trying to tell me how and what to think and keep my views to myself !!
I know I will probably be banned or flamed but so be it. I am a free man and this used to be a free country. If a proud American can not come to a gun forum and speak his mind then America is already gone.
Sorry for being so direct and blunt. I respect this site but I have no tolerance for anyone telling me how to speak and what I can speak about... Good men fought and died for our freedom of speech.
I know this post comes on a bit strong but enough is enough Please try to understand. My family's sacerfice means something, act like it does and refuse to stand down. Political correctness is the bane of a free society and free men............. Just sayin !!!

katonahjohn 11-21-2016 11:53 AM

Could we also have a forum for general political talk?
There are a lot of things going on that don't end up on the national news that I would be interested in, and fore-warned is for-armed.
And civil discussions can be learning occasions for all of us.
Thanks!

LW McVay 11-21-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airgunbuff (Post 8639073)
What the hell are you guys afraid of ???? We are all grown men here and in my mind you guys are acting like nanny's or something !! I think we all have had enough of the nanny state !!
Now I know I am just a guest here and I try to respect all the rules but this is a bit much.... If someone comes here and gets their little feeling hurt so be it.... This nanny crap is what is wrong with this country. Idiots trying to tell me how and what to think and keep my views to myself !!
I know I will probably be banned or flamed but so be it. I am a free man and this used to be a free country. If a proud American can not come to a gun forum and speak his mind then America is already gone.
Sorry for being so direct and blunt. I respect this site but I have no tolerance for anyone telling me how to speak and what I can speak about... Good men fought and died for our freedom of speech.
I know this post comes on a bit strong but enough is enough Please try to understand. My family's sacerfice means something, act like it does and refuse to stand down. Political correctness is the bane of a free society and free men............. Just sayin !!!

Dude, you don't get banned for something like that post. Give me a break.

But to answer your response, this is a 1911 forum PRIMARILY. Everything and I mean everything takes a backseat to that. Politics is the lowest rung of that ladder. There are plenty of other politic forums and venues for airing out your views. This is not one of them.

LW McVay 11-21-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katonahjohn (Post 8639801)
Could we also have a forum for general political talk?
There are a lot of things going on that don't end up on the national news that I would be interested in, and fore-warned is for-armed.
And civil discussions can be learning occasions for all of us.
Thanks!

The problem is, it will quickly turn uncivil and frankly, we don't have time to babysit.

Ecrevisse 11-21-2016 01:13 PM

Does this mean that we no longer have to endure the juvenile name calling and flaming with opinions we don't agree with?

LW McVay 11-21-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecrevisse (Post 8640281)
Does this mean that we no longer have to endure the juvenile name calling and flaming with opinions we don't agree with?

When we become aware of it, you never had to endure it.

That said, I kinda frown on the thin-skinned members.

Retwolf 11-21-2016 02:00 PM

Just joined. Wish this wasn't the first thread I looked at.

I've belonged to several forums over the years depending on my hobbies & interests at the time & moderated a few. Don't remember even one where people didn't get butt hurt over another's opinion.

The controversy over 2nd amendment rights is a volital topic - even among those who support it. So what ? I fail to see why expressing opinions is so threatening. I understand the poster who is tired of this " political correctness". It is exhausting treading ever so lightly always trying to protect grown ass men & women from getting their feelings hurt.

That said, I will of course abide by the forum's wishes & watch my comments and language. Civility is wisdom & maturity too.

LW McVay 11-21-2016 02:15 PM

It's less about someone getting butt hurt and more about keeping the Forum about 1911s primarily and guns generally.

I personally don't give a rip about someone's political feelings getting hurt.

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the Forum!

airgunbuff 11-21-2016 02:49 PM

Thank you but what is wrong with being uncivil ??

why do we have to care if some little moma"s boy or snow flake gets butt hurt ?? Hell man this is the real world !! Everything which is wrong in this country can be seen right here.
Don't get me wrong, I love this place and the content. I just think men should be men rather than girly men. I know how to act and more times than not take the high road. But there are times when the TRUTH just has to be stated and let the chips fall where they will.
I want to be here. Hell a little discourse is good as it get the blood moving. I hate going to the range and seeing all the little sissy men playing with their Glocks.:biglaugh: I know when to walk away from a fight and I know when to stand and fight. America is in trouble and you mods and leadership what to suger coat things !!
I like knowing who the members are here and where they stand.... This stance you guys have diminishes America and plays into the liberal progressive hand.
Thanks for letting me voice my views.
Kindly
ron

LW McVay 11-21-2016 02:51 PM

You're welcome.

racoonbeast60 11-21-2016 03:09 PM

It seems to me that it is the desire of the owners of this forum to keep the conversation in this forum related to 1911's and such. I have seen no evidence that there is a desire to stifle free speech, or protect people from having their feelings hurt. It seems to me that the folks who are putting a lot of effort, time and money in to providing a forum dedicated to a certain gun might just have the right to ask you to limit your conversation to that topic. Did I miss something? I am trying to find the unreasonable part here. This forum is, after all, private property that the public is invited in to enjoy. But, like all private property, there are rules for its use. I used to let people hunt on my land, but there were rules. It was my land, not theirs. If they did not want to use it according to my rules, they didn't have to. They were welcome to find other land to use. Is there a big difference here? Seems like kind of a no-brainer to me.

moralem 11-21-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecrevisse (Post 8640281)

The name calling is kind of fun........and no one gets punched in the nose........over on one of my motorcylce forums they have a section called the basement or Jomama, where all the stuff not fit for print is sent and you can have all the discourse and name calling you want.........now that place is a hoot.

airgunbuff 11-21-2016 03:16 PM

Point taken, and then some !!

Different points of view are good .

Quote:

Originally Posted by racoonbeast60 (Post 8641049)
It seems to me that it is the desire of the owners of this forum to keep the conversation in this forum related to 1911's and such. I have seen no evidence that there is a desire to stifle free speech, or protect people from having their feelings hurt. It seems to me that the folks who are putting a lot of effort, time and money in to providing a forum dedicated to a certain gun might just have the right to ask you to limit your conversation to that topic. Did I miss something? I am trying to find the unreasonable part here. This forum is, after all, private property that the public is invited in to enjoy. But, like all private property, there are rules for its use. I used to let people hunt on my land, but there were rules. It was my land, not theirs. If they did not want to use it according to my rules, they didn't have to. They were welcome to find other land to use. Is there a big difference here? Seems like kind of a no-brainer to me.

wccountryboy 11-21-2016 03:41 PM

Differing viewpoints and perspectives have always been welcome here- so long as they're related to 1911s, firearms, or guns in general. Likewise, differing political or legal opinions have always been welcome- as long as they're related to 2A legal or political issues.

For the last year, the mods have allowed a huge amount of off topic discussion because of the election cycle- in hindsight, maybe not the best decision. There's more than one member here who's post count consists of 50+% non 1911, non firearms, non 2A observations or comments. There's also members who have no idea of what this forum was like before the election cycle started....

The mods do a great job of keeping this place civil and respectful. They're simply getting back to the purpose and intent of the forum. If you want to discuss non-2A politics, there's places to do that....

birdmove 11-21-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralem (Post 8641081)
The name calling is kind of fun........and no one gets punched in the nose........over on one of my motorcycle forums they have a section called the basement or Jomama, where all the stuff not fit for print is sent and you can have all the discourse and name calling you want.........now that place is a hoot.

Ah!! Another advrider.com fan!! I have 1890 post over there. But I've slowed down a bunch the last year or two. Joined in October of 2004.

So, second amendment..... Trump is supposed to try to get through a reciprocity carry permit law. Since I live on the big island of Hawaii, and Hawaii is a "may issue" state, nobody but nobody gets a permit here. Every application is tossed. So, I wonder if visitors are going to be able to carry here? I'll believe it when I see it.

Hawaii. Not a welcoming state for firearms owners and fans. But, a great place to ride.

Cappi 11-21-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airgunbuff (Post 8640937)
America is in trouble and you mods and leadership what to suger coat things !!
I
Kindly
ron

LOL.....I'm thinking maybe you haven't read many of McVay's "sugar coated" posts :rofl:

This is a well run site with an abundance of quality members.
It is a private owned for profit business... And they do have rules
Just the way it is in the "real world"........ Deal with it or beech about.it.

I doubt that the latter will get you too far though

LTA

airgunbuff 11-21-2016 06:00 PM

Quality members !!

That is what makes this forum what it is....
Let the membership have free rein !!! why be policed by mods at all...
Yes sometimes a time out or reset will be needed... but having a group of over lords which decide what is acceptable free speech is .... well I have already said too much !!!
Just my humble 2 cents !!! we have meant the enemy !!! you know the rest.

LW McVay 11-21-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airgunbuff (Post 8642345)
Yes sometimes a time out or reset will be needed... but having a group of over lords which decide what is acceptable free speech is .... well I have already said too much !!!

Thanks for you input. Now, relax. We are not changing the way we have been doing business for the last 16 years thank you very much.

wccountryboy 11-21-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airgunbuff (Post 8642345)

While there's an abundance of quality members, theres still many that would refuse to stay within the intent and limits of the forum if not for clearly defined left and right limits.

This isn't a government entity; you have no free speech rights here. You're a guest of the owner, just as if you were a guest in his home. You're free do discuss whatever topics the owner deems appropriate, within the guidelines and behavioral limits he sets- no more.

This forum doesn't exist to discuss any subject, at any time, in any manner. It exists to discuss the 1911 in particular, and firearms and firearms related issues in general. If you want to discuss non 2A issues, or other interests, passions, hobbies, or subjects, other forums exist for such discussions. If you wish to discuss guns or any other subject in an uncivil, rude, juvenile or unregulated environment- there's forums that allow it.

Plantar5 11-21-2016 06:59 PM

As it pertains to 2A and the politics I like the prior platform for what it's worth.
Yeah, it got sideways here and there, but I think it also disseminated a lot of good information which can't be quantified, but overall, helps 2A awareness nationally.
The election may be over, but the fight is not.

dsk 11-21-2016 07:20 PM

The First Amendment gives you the right to pay for your own website and say whatever you want on it. This website is the property of its owners just like your house is your own property. If a guest was standing in your kitchen spewing a bunch of left-wing garbage you would grab them by the collar and throw them outside, and you'd have every right to. Same goes here. This is strictly a firearms forum, not a political one. This sub-forum exists only to inform members about possible gun legislation and other news of interest to our right to keep and bear arms. We relaxed the rules this past year to discuss the election itself, but now that the election is over so are the relaxed rules.

lhawkins 11-21-2016 07:30 PM

The problem is that unfortunately many cannot have civil discourse without descending into chaos.

There is also a few in any forum that will retort with a comment they would never dare say to someone in person: keyboard commandos.

This is one of my favorite forums. The quality and quantity on firearm/blade/2A information is among the best.

I do not want wade through political diatribe. Even if we have a dedicated sub forum, there will always be a few that cannot resist wandering off topic in ANY forum.

Most of here are like minded. Do we really need to regurgitate talking points?

Keep up the good work mods and admins!