1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Disaster Preparedness (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   30th Anniversary of Loma Prieta Quake coming up! (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1001960)

John Joseph 10-15-2019 06:07 PM

30th Anniversary of Loma Prieta Quake coming up!

So what have we learned about prepping for earthquakes?
Do you know how to turn the natural gas supply to your home off?
Could you assist your neighbors with this?
Do you have alternative routes in case highways and bridges are impassible?
What about ways to contact family members if cell towers come down?

Prince humperdink 10-15-2019 07:13 PM

I lived in Concord,Ca during that quake.The walls of my house cracked,and there was so much devastation in the bay area.I live in Montana now,so I prepare for different emergencies now.

John Joseph 10-15-2019 09:51 PM

I was on AT at Sharpe Army Depot in French Camp, watching the opening of the World Series at the old Candlestick on the TV in my room. Lots of rock and roll but not like Concord which is closer to the epicenter near Santa Cruz.

USMM guy 10-15-2019 10:16 PM

We are all on pins and needles.

Here in the commonwealth, Just sayin.

remanaz 10-15-2019 11:28 PM

It was a beautiful day in the month of October. Time was 3pm ish. Three teens are riding their bikes down West Cliff Drive enjoying the awesome ocean views of Santa Cruz CA. They stop and take a moment to look out at the water. A conversation ensues along the lines of "wow the water is so flat, no waves, complete calmness." Along with "there is no wind at all" and "where are all the birds?"

Time now 450pm. One of the teens looks at his watch and realizes he is late to meet his parents at the pizza joint nearby to watch the game. They leave the shop they were inside.

10 minutes have passed and the teens are now on their bikes again and have come to a red light at the corner of Ocean and Water. Two are stopped with one foot each on the sidewalk and the other in the bike lane. The 3rd teen is a few feet ahead balancing on the bike without putting his feet on the ground.

One minute later the teen in front notices an 80s Chevy Celebrity the strangly is hopping like it is on hydraulics. Thinking this is Very out of place he looks afar to the bank across the intersection and sees the windows shaking violently. He then looks back at his friends preparing to say "EARTHQUAKE." He said nothing though. He was now speechless as he is now watching his 2 friends looking at the bus that is rocking side to side looking like it is going to plop over onto them.

Luckily for all, no one at that intersection was hurt. If it had happend 11 or so minutes earlier we might have died in the shop we were in as 4 of 6 people were crushed to death in that shop.

That teen in front balancing, was me. I did not feel the earthquake at all. Being that i was on two weels with both going up and down at the same time i did not even realize that i was riding this wave. My friends, however, were feeling it and dirtying themselves seeing that bus getting closer and closer to landing on them.

My parents were stuck at the game. Some friends of the family new they were out there so the came to my place to check on me with a wrench in hand to turn off my gas. I knew nothing of tht type of stuff at the time. Thankfully they did. So yeah teach those kids incase they are stuck alone like i could have been. The friends that came to check on me took me to a family members house until my parents were able to get back in town. Also have a plan of where to meet. Who to contact/ reach out to.

scubadad 10-16-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Joseph (Post 12964290)

Nothing
No
No
No
No

Once it is over most people forget until the next one. When I lived in Florida it amazed me how many were unprepared for a hurricane. THEY HAD SEVERAL DAYS WARNING. Stick your head in the sand and hope it misses us was the norm.

John Joseph 10-17-2019 10:59 AM

Here's a reminder--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghAvIJ76WVo

Prince humperdink 10-18-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Joseph (Post 12964458)
I was on AT at Sharpe Army Depot in French Camp, watching the opening of the World Series at the old Candlestick on the TV in my room. Lots of rock and roll but not like Concord which is closer to the epicenter near Santa Cruz.

My Dad was a Culligan installer,and was in Oakland at the time,he said he was a stoplight and the road started rolling like he was on a rollercoaster.

mans 10-18-2019 05:51 PM

Downtown SF in my office on Montgomery St when it hit. Watched our engineering geologist across the hall dive under his desk and, when the shaking subsided, saw him grab a knapsack and run out of our building. He disappeared for three days, nobody knew where. When he finally returned he was covered in mud and his clothes were torn and scratched. He had spent three days in the Loma Prieta hills looking for the epicenter and the surficial evidence of the event.

jjfitch 10-19-2019 10:16 AM

I arrived home from work in Riverside CA. some 450 miles south of the bat area. I turned on the TV to watch the World Series. I went back outside to get stuff out of the truck and heard what sounded like a "roaring train" coming up the street. (Note this is 450 miles from the epicenter!)

I didn't think too much of it until I saw the stadium and the Nimitz Freeway. I'm familiar with the area as a frequent flyer to the bay area. For several hours the media didn't realize that they were looking at a two level freeway and there were cars and people sandwiched between the layers.

I was stunned and mesmerized by the scenes!

The Northridge Earthquake had a personal connection to me. There is an iconic photo of a freeway fallen on a Ford Pickup with just the bed sticking out with the front smashed. Two people inside were killed. The were "car pooling" to a job I was supervising!

Family first, everything else is just "stuff"!

dsk 11-09-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Joseph (Post 12964290)

If the Great Cascadia Earthquake hits the Pacific Northwest again like they predict I can guarantee everyone here is going to die. All it takes is a minor autumn flood or for the wind to pick up and blow a few trees down across the major roads and it becomes like Armageddon here in the Seattle area. We had some minor flooding of the major rivers last month and it was absolutely insane trying to get to work and back home again.

hntbambi 12-11-2019 07:58 PM

I remember it well. My wife's house was in Felton, CA which is just north of Santa Cruz. I was in Cupertino gong up Steven's Creek Canyon to the archery range when it occurred. It was a royal mess getting home. What did they learn? Strap your water heater to the wall. Thank god we got out of that state.