1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Taurus (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   ambi safety (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=377297)

Darth_Tux 08-01-2012 06:40 PM

ambi safety

Anyone think of a reason to not remove the safety for left handers? Mine has become loose and doesn't fully engage / disengage and I was given the advice to either replace the safety altogether OR just remove the safety on the right hand of the pistol, What do you think?

RickB 08-01-2012 06:55 PM

The lever on the right side is along for the ride, and doesn't engage or disengage anything independently. If you can live without it, how did it get loose?

Darth_Tux 08-01-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 3993807)
If you can live without it, how did it get loose?

Not sure really, I just noticed that when I used my right hand to engage the safety all was well, when I used my left hand it wouldn't fully engage and then wouldn't fully disengage. so however it is connected to the left side safety loosened up a little.

RickB 08-02-2012 12:25 AM

There's a tongue & groove joint connecting the two halves, and if it's loose without much use, you might not want to rely on it. I have ambis on all of my guns, and none has really loosened much even with years of (left handed) use.

Darth_Tux 08-02-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 3994256)
There's a tongue & groove joint connecting the two halves, and if it's loose without much use, you might not want to rely on it. I have ambis on all of my guns, and none has really loosened much even with years of (left handed) use.

do you mean not to trust the safety as a whole or the part just on the right side? The right hand safety is secure.

silversport 08-02-2012 05:43 AM

if you mean the paddle on the left side (that a right hander would use) THAT is the safety and as mentioned above the part that we Southpaws would use is just along for the ride...you can't remove the main paddle without doing away with the safety...

If it is loose and you didn't change anything like grip panels (sometimes these are used to support parts) then you may have a problem...

Bill

Darth_Tux 08-02-2012 11:42 AM

the paddle that isn't engaging well is on the right hand side of the gun, a right handed shooter will have no problem with it being gone I believe.

chuntaro 08-08-2012 08:07 AM

Best to use a single sided safety on the proper left side of the gun so you get a full length pin going all the way through the frame. Nothing hurts an ambi worse than improper assembly, disassembly or right side grip panel not properly cleared for retention leg of ambi.

ETA: I failed to mention another source of safety weakening. If your pin from the plunger tube is not properly radiused or tension is too great for some reason, using the paddle on the right can excessively torque the safety in the tongue and groove joint of the ambi.

Bobby50 08-14-2012 04:17 PM

If it is that loose you can either change to a single safety or replace the ambi safety, don't try to just remove the right side safety, as you need the safety pin to go all the way through for support, i would stop using the weapon until repaired one way or the other as it may malfunction at a very wrong time, they don't cost that much and Taurus may send you a new one.

chuntaro 08-17-2012 08:47 AM

Treat your safety properly, grips cleared properly, not over or under cleared and it will outlast you.

2ndsight 08-17-2012 09:59 PM

Due to the design of the ambi safety that taruri uses and the fact some peeps do no make sure it snaps tight it can loosen. I do my own ambi cut on my grips and make it tight on the right side. I would advise a disassemble of the offending part then inspect it. If it shows it is messed up buy a new one that suites you. I find that due to the design depending on the grip for some of the retention it can fail if the grip side right is loose. Fix it make sure it is right before shooting it.

chuntaro 08-18-2012 07:47 AM

The design of the of Taurus safety mimicks the Swenson. With a couple of exceptions, it has been the ambi safety design for some time. In all 1911 ambi designs, you are gonna have a joint. Think of your ankle if you ever twisted it. Excessive torque is not good for a joint.

Weebz77 09-05-2012 07:21 AM

I would think it wouldn't be good to have an open hole on the right side of the gun, as dust and other stuff could get in there and wreck the other small parts over time. If you're not experienced in fitting safeties, it can be more costl to do it yourself than to have someone else fit a new safety. My advice would be to send it to Taurus and have them install a single-sided safety (they may fix it for free). Or, buy a single-sided safety and have a gunsmith install it. The safety is probably the most important part on a 1911, so you don't wan it to fail under any circumstance.

1saxman 09-05-2012 04:20 PM

You cannot remove the RH lever and leave half of the pin unsupported inside the frame. You can have the ambi safety replaced with a standard safety. Some advanced gun owners can make this change, which unvolves fitting. I had mine done by a 'smith. The type ambi safety Taurus uses can be very troublesome as they tend to come apart at the joint. I did everything possible to mine to make it be reliable, but there is no long-term fix. I took it out and peened the spade end in such a way as to make it thicker at the end, then I pinched the female side just a little. This did make a secure fit, but the next time I fired it the RH side started coming out again. I don't use an ambi safety anyway, so that's when I decided to change it since I was getting ready to have some other parts installed. In order to still have the ambi safety, you can replace it with one of the other design where the RH lever is fastened to the pin outside the frame and is removable for takedown. I used Wilson 'Value-Line' parts for the hammer, sear and safety.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b.../Guns/509a.jpg

windage 11-14-2012 03:58 PM

Not for the squeemish

NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH (you know who you are)
Just remove starboard grip panel, pull out thumb safety paddle end (left hander's dumby end), toss in box, replace cover. Sure, the beavertail doesn't have quite as much bearing at it's pivot point, but the original setup with the loosey-goosey ambi shaft didn't provide that much to start with, plus the B-tail doesn't travel fast, far or have strain on it. Joyfully, this portion of the Taurus PT 1911 is not rocket science and easy to see the functioning parts, their relationships and stresses.
And as far as dirt/lint issue...the open hole doesn't lead into the internals...
When you get time, buy replacement full shaft safety on-line, get fitted by local smitty if your new safety doesn't function or feel right.
legal disclaimer; "if simply reading this mod throws you into fits of fear for your safety, then do not attempt this extremely dangerous and insane modification on your own."