1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   General Gun Discussion (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Taurus handguns (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1008516)

Slater 01-26-2020 11:27 AM

Taurus handguns

This brand seems to have had more than their share of QC issues and recalls. Are their newer guns any better?

toodeepsam 01-26-2020 12:04 PM

You're going to have haters respond, beware of that.

Between the kids and I we have five Taurus handguns of newer vintage. They all work just fine. Would I trust them for heavy duty use? No.
Would I refuse to buy one if I wanted it? No.

They've had a rocky reputation, and well deserved in my opinion. But I remember Ford pintos and people still buy Ford's.

RandyP 01-26-2020 12:11 PM

I have three recent vintage Tauri- a Tracker rimfire revolver, a .357 snubbie and a 9mm compact carry.

They are all on par with any other brand in their price range. Darn good guns IMHO. Again just MY take, but their PT111 G2 series is reliable, accurate and likely the most affordable "good" concealed carry handgun on the market today.

Striker2237 01-26-2020 12:12 PM

The TX22 is awesome, ran it dry off the shelf for over 1000 rounds zero issues aside from a melted mag....

I'll go as far to say it's my best .22 handgun over my S&W 41 optics, Volquartson, MkII stainless target optics, and high standard Olympic gold, because it's actually useful as a training tool and it's reliable unlike all my other .22s

SpringerXD 01-26-2020 12:55 PM

I've been a certified "Taurus basher" for years. I've owned two of them and both were very problematic. Without boring you with the entire saga, what happened was:

1. Bought a PT140 Millennium Pro. If I put more than eight rounds in the 10-round mag, it wouldn't feed. Went back to Gander Mountain and bought additional Taurus FACTORY mags, and they had entirely different followers than what was still shipping with the gun. They helped somewhat, but I still didn't trust it because it still had consistent issues.

2. Decided to give Taurus another chance. Bought a TCP-738 because the slide locked back on the last round, compared to the Ruger LCP which didn't. On the very first range trip, the trigger mechanism broke. Seriously. Sent it in for repairs and was expecting it to be gone for months, which was usually the case. Instead, it came back in two weeks and had the same broken trigger. I was over it and sold it to Gander right there on the spot. I took it in the shorts on that deal and didn't care. Good riddance.

I've completely avoided that brand ever since. If I'm in a gun store, I walk right on past the Taurus counter. Looking online, same thing. They don't exist to me.

It's a shame, too, because I think some of their designs are excellent. But until they gain a reputation over several years for being good quality, they'll never get my business again.

Have I heard from people who have owned 100% reliable Taurus firearms? Yes. Do I assume that ALL Taurus guns are junk? No.

But at the end of the day, there are far too many brands out there with better reputations for me to ever buy a Taurus again.

mr380acp 01-26-2020 06:05 PM

I had TCP a few years back. It actually was really good for a cheap pistol.

DubfromGa 01-26-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringerXD (Post 13048838)
I've been a certified "Taurus basher" for years. I've owned two of them and both were very problematic. Without boring you with the entire saga, what happened was:

1. Bought a PT140 Millennium Pro. If I put more than eight rounds in the 10-round mag, it wouldn't feed. Went back to Gander Mountain and bought additional Taurus FACTORY mags, and they had entirely different followers than what was still shipping with the gun. They helped somewhat, but I still didn't trust it because it still had consistent issues.

2. Decided to give Taurus another chance. Bought a TCP-738 because the slide locked back on the last round, compared to the Ruger LCP which didn't. On the very first range trip, the trigger mechanism broke. Seriously. Sent it in for repairs and was expecting it to be gone for months, which was usually the case. Instead, it came back in two weeks and had the same broken trigger. I was over it and sold it to Gander right there on the spot. I took it in the shorts on that deal and didn't care. Good riddance.

I've completely avoided that brand ever since. If I'm in a gun store, I walk right on past the Taurus counter. Looking online, same thing. They don't exist to me.

It's a shame, too, because I think some of their designs are excellent. But until they gain a reputation over several years for being good quality, they'll never get my business again.

Have I heard from people who have owned 100% reliable Taurus firearms? Yes. Do I assume that ALL Taurus guns are junk? No.

But at the end of the day, there are far too many brands out there with better reputations for me to ever buy a Taurus again.

You last sentence summed it up well for me, too.

JMJ1015 01-26-2020 06:47 PM

I had a Taurus PT-111 G2. Now the make a slightly different version of the same design called the G2C. It was okay. I didn't have any problem out of it. I didn't like the trigger. It broke a looong way back. The blued finish was weak. While I kept a light coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on it to keep it from rusting there were still places that the finish wore off from being carried. I decided I wanted something else, bought it & sold a couple of guns I didn't want anymore. The Taurus was one of them. The truth is though at the time I bought mine they were selling for about $200. Now I have been seeing the G2C's for less than that. For a sub-$200 handgun I would say they are great due to the fact they work reliably. At the same time there are nicer guns for not that much more money. It just depends on what you want & what you are willing to spend.

dsk 01-26-2020 07:06 PM

I bought two of the PT-111 G2s because they seemed pretty impressive at first and I was going to make them my carry guns (one to shoot the snot out of at the range and one primarily for carry). But then both developed functioning issues at virtually the same time. It took four months to get them back from Taurus, and all they replaced were the .50 cent extractor springs. They seemed to run fine after that, but they lost their luster with me so I tried to sell them. I eventually managed to get rid of one by basically giving it away in a trade, but I've hung onto the second simply because it's probably better just to keep it than to give it away as well.

The only other Taurus I owned was a PT-92 9mm back around 1991 or so. It did have to go back to have the locking block replaced, but they were a lot faster at fixing guns back then and I had no other problems with it otherwise. I sold it to finance an actual Beretta 92FS purchase. If I were to own another Taurus handgun I would probably try to find another one of those early pre-decocker PT-92s.

bigd63 01-26-2020 07:23 PM

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten". Anonymous.

scubadad 01-26-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Striker2237 (Post 13048800)
The TX22 is awesome, ran it dry off the shelf for over 1000 rounds zero issues aside from a melted mag....

I'll go as far to say it's my best .22 handgun over my S&W 41 optics, Volquartson, MkII stainless target optics, and high standard Olympic gold, because it's actually useful as a training tool and it's reliable unlike all my other .22s

If anyone else made that claim I would call bs but knowing your reputation and stable of guns I believe you.

Like most here I have had my share of taurus issues and have swore off the brand.

Timbo3 01-26-2020 08:06 PM

I have a TCP and a 709 Slim. Never had any issues with either, no problems what so ever. I must have the unicorns?

dsk 01-26-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubadad (Post 13049148)
If anyone else made that claim I would call bs but knowing your reputation and stable of guns I believe you.

The TX22 has been getting good feedback from users, and even Tim at Military Arms got a good one (and we all know all he ever usually gets is factory lemons!). The only thing that concerns me is how long-term durable the plastic magazines will prove to be.

DWARREN123 01-26-2020 08:54 PM

Not a fan of Taurus at all but I did pick up a G3 2 months back.
Been running the crap out of it, better than 800 rounds thru it and not one problem.
It is accurate, reliable and seems to fit me better than any other pistol I have handled.
I have been using it for carry and range use and it has really impressed me.

Tenagain 01-26-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodeepsam (Post 13048790)
But I remember Ford pintos and people still buy Ford's.

Hey! I loved my Ford Pinto! Only have one Taurus, a .44 magnum revolver, and it's been great for a couple years now. About the only brands that I wouldn't touch would be those crappy pot metal pistols that keep changing their brand name. Oh, and maybe Glock........Just kidding. I might try a pot metal gun just for kicks!

kcruisin 01-26-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd63 (Post 13049136)
"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten". Anonymous.

Springfieldxd's post seems kinda crazy, but turas did that to me, also.
On a PT, the barrel and slide lock up tight every single round or two. They've returned it twice, saying they put 50 rounds through it.
tarus should be in the used car business.

Rick McC. 01-26-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Sad to say that’s pretty much been my experience as well.

I wouldn’t go across the street to get a free one...

Striker2237 01-26-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsk (Post 13049220)
The TX22 has been getting good feedback from users, and even Tim at Military Arms got a good one (and we all know all he ever usually gets is factory lemons!). The only thing that concerns me is how long-term durable the plastic magazines will prove to be.

They will melt. Don't shoot it suppressed for 12 mags near non-stop and leave a mag in the gun when you are finished, lost my 4th mag on accident doing that :biglaugh: I need to buy another one of these guns and 6 mags for each since I really enjoy shooting it.

My range is opening up a video based simulator shooting range so I plan to use the guns a lot in there and .22 is way cheaper than 9mm and I still will get to use a real gun to have fun with.

Benchrest1 01-26-2020 11:29 PM

Their revolvers are a ripoff of S&W.

RandyP 01-27-2020 12:17 AM

Their revolvers are a ripoff of S&W.

I seem to recall reading that Taurus Brazil bought machinery and tooling FROM S&W years ago? In any event I'm thinking that a 1911 forum is almost the last place to talk smack about 'clones' - LOL

Flight Medic 01-27-2020 12:31 AM

Quote:

<snip>

At the end of the day, there are far too many brands out there with better reputations for me to ever buy a Taurus...IN THE FIRST PLACE.

flphotog 01-27-2020 06:44 AM

All I'll say is that I wouldn't trust my life to a Taurus. For a polymer pistol, for me it's been H&K's for a long time now. I've never had an issue of any kind with any of them.

Nitro.45 01-27-2020 06:56 AM

SpringerXD put it very well earlier and others have agreed. It’s just like buying cheap anything. You get what you pay for. Why in the world would anyone want to buy a cheap ass gun that is made to contain an explosion right in your hands? Bent hammers, broken triggers, awful finish......c’mon man.
We had a thread on this way back and someone had picks of the finish on a PT1911 that looked like someone took a grinder to it. This was a new generation and the safety came broken in the box. Pretty accurate accounts of not being able to “give one away”. Pawn shop would offer $50. I can’t explain Strikers results....they must know he was going to get a couple so they swapped out the internals with a Buckmark! Walk away.....very quickly.......keep going.......

Bayou52 01-27-2020 07:26 AM

Well, guys, my one and only Taurus experience is a 1999 vintage 22LR revolver, Tracker 970, 6" tube. I used Wolff replacement springs and changed the trigger and hammer springs. Result is a 2.75 crisp trigger break with very smooth cocking in DA. I also changed the cheesy, small rubber grips with a set of target sized wooden grips. With these mods, the thing is an absolute contender.

Maybe I got lucky with this one. Don't know, as it's my only one. But we do know that experiences differ from person to person, from time to time, and, for that matter, from gun to gun.

Pic:

https://i.ibb.co/V3pcMPf/IMG-20190213-181423.jpg

Bayou52

Colt191145 01-27-2020 08:03 AM

Take the side plate off a toreass revolver. Examine the internals and tell me if you still want to buy one.

Buying a taurus because it is cheaper than a S&W is like drinking a bottle of mezcal and going home with a stripper instead of going home to your wife.

Gonna be a lot of regret and high maintenance in your future.