1911Forum

1911Forum (https://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   STI/SVI (https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   DVC P ammo (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1004716)

adian 11-29-2019 08:58 AM

DVC P ammo
 
My DVC P arrives at my FFL today, and it had been mentioned that I may need a lighter spring if I wanted to shoot 115g ammo due to the comp. can anyone confirm? And if so, what spring do I need so I can order it (I just have thousands of rounds of 115g plinking ammo and if needed will start buying heavier ammo)

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drail 11-29-2019 10:04 AM

Go to Wolff (Gunsprings.com) and buy a small assortment of recoil springs for your gun. With a little experimentation you will find which one you need for a specific load. If your recoil spring is too strong it can close the slide faster than the magazine spring can push the next round up in position.

Ytown1911 11-29-2019 10:33 AM

The Dawson recommendation for springs based on your gun will be a great start. See the chart to get started:

https://dawsonprecision.com/recoil-f...size-by-wolff/

ken_mays 11-29-2019 11:23 AM

I would start at 7 and work up.

Descartian 11-29-2019 02:50 PM

Keep in mind that this is on a 4.15Ē slide and recoil assembly. Youíll probably need something closer to 9-10lb spring.

The chart on Brazosí site is for a 5Ē gun.

Descartian 11-29-2019 02:51 PM

By the way, you should be good with your stick springs. Especially after breakin.

Jim Watson 11-29-2019 03:46 PM

Agree.
Take the radical step of shooting the gun before you start tinkering with it.
Maybe "break in" with some NATO spec before going to the cheap stuff.

iron texan 11-30-2019 07:48 PM

Mine shoots 115 grain weak Winchester white box with no problems with the stock recoil spring.

adian 11-30-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron texan (Post 12999494)
Mine shoots 115 grain weak Winchester white box with no problems with the stock recoil spring.



Thanks for the info. I had just been told it may have issues with light ammo due to the comp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmcmp 12-01-2019 12:54 AM

Mine shoots factory ammo with no issues with the factory spring. The factory spring is only an 8lb spring. I've shoot Fiocchi 115g FMJ, Winchester WB 115g, Ranger 124g +p, Ranger 147g +p and Ranger 127g +p+.

Harrish 12-05-2019 01:29 PM

It depends on which 115gr you are shooting. If it is loaded on the hot side, no problem.

Descartian 12-05-2019 04:16 PM

BTW, almost all of my range ammo is 115gr. I havenít had any problems in either of my Costa Carry Comps or any of my other comped STIís.

adian 12-05-2019 04:35 PM

Good to know. I didnít think originally that I would, but the STI guy on the live feed said I had to watch the ammo because of the comp and thatís what made me wonder.

Sadly, the USPS is playing hide and go seek with it at the moment. Seems there was a lazy guy on Black Friday who said my buddy wasnít at his shop for it to transfer and they sent it back. Arrived back to Shooting Surplus yesterday and they sent it right back out. Now it says Sat arrival so we will see


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUNSnHOGS 12-05-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adian (Post 12998332)
My DVC P arrives at my FFL today, and it had been mentioned that I may need a lighter spring if I wanted to shoot 115g ammo due to the comp. can anyone confirm? And if so, what spring do I need so I can order it (I just have thousands of rounds of 115g plinking ammo and if needed will start buying heavier ammo)

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not try some American Eagle 147g AE9FP? It's running 147PF and is super accurate in the STI 4.15" barrels!

;)

WBSCOTT 12-20-2019 03:13 PM

I've had my DVC-P since the end of November and have had some issues in this area. The first week I put about 800 rounds through it mostly Magtech 115. After about 3-400 I started getting failure to return to battery, failure to lock open, then double feeds and stove pipes. I sent it back and they returned it about 8 days later good service. The STI gunsmith said he put in an 8 pound spring (he said the 8,9,10 look the same and sometimes get switched) then oiled the hell out of it. I should note when I initially got it before using I cleaned and oiled it. When I got it back I used Blaser Brass 124 for a little more recoil. I made it through a USPSA match and about 8-900 rounds before I started getting the same issues starting with failure to lock open. The STI GS had said to clean after about 5-600 rounds. So I had it deep cleaned (Ultrasonic) and well oiled. I put 200 rounds through today no issues. Here is what I'm looking at going forward. Blaser Brass fires a little dirty, I'll be switching to a cleaner 124 grain. I'm putting a little oil on the rails after use (150-250 rounds for me generally). Options I'm looking at going forward. T1 ammo is local and may be able to make a clean 124 with a slightly increased charge. Also I may look at a 7 1/2 lb spring.

adian 12-20-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WBSCOTT (Post 13014966)
I've had my DVC-P since the end of November and have had some issues in this area. The first week I put about 800 rounds through it mostly Magtech 115. After about 3-400 I started getting failure to return to battery, failure to lock open, then double feeds and stove pipes. I sent it back and they returned it about 8 days later good service. The STI gunsmith said he put in an 8 pound spring (he said the 8,9,10 look the same and sometimes get switched) then oiled the hell out of it. I should note when I initially got it before using I cleaned and oiled it. When I got it back I used Blaser Brass 124 for a little more recoil. I made it through a USPSA match and about 8-900 rounds before I started getting the same issues starting with failure to lock open. The STI GS had said to clean after about 5-600 rounds. So I had it deep cleaned (Ultrasonic) and well oiled. I put 200 rounds through today no issues. Here is what I'm looking at going forward. Blaser Brass fires a little dirty, I'll be switching to a cleaner 124 grain. I'm putting a little oil on the rails after use (150-250 rounds for me generally). Options I'm looking at going forward. T1 ammo is local and may be able to make a clean 124 with a slightly increased charge. Also I may look at a 7 1/2 lb spring.



Thanks for the response, I was finally able to pick mine up today but wonít be able to shoot until Sunday. I have a few hundred rounds to put through it and my staccato P.

Iíll make sure I break it down, clean and oil it up before shooting


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlg 12-21-2019 05:47 AM

I bought the dawson tool less recoil guide and used and 8 pound recoil spring in my STI Carry Comp which allowed 115 blazer to function flawlessly. Have to admit, I switched to 124 ball and never looked back and kept the 8 pound spring installed,

WBSCOTT 12-21-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlg (Post 13015436)
I bought the dawson tool less recoil guide and used and 8 pound recoil spring in my STI Carry Comp which allowed 115 blazer to function flawlessly. Have to admit, I switched to 124 ball and never looked back and kept the 8 pound spring installed,

The new DVC-P's come with a tool less recoil guide (I assume its Dawson) as well as the new grip, which I like alot. I put another 200 rounds through it today no issues.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved