1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Twin Pines/RIA Government Model

This board fired me up enough to order a RIA Government Model. I ordered a full size Government model RIA from SARCO. Ten days later I had it. The pistol cost $273.50. When it was delivered to my dealer, SARCO boosted the shipping charges by $5.00. The quoted price should have been the right price. Anyway SARCO was prompt.

The pistol itself was delivered in a plastic case with one 8 round magazine with Armscor stamped on it. It looks like a Meggar to me. Also there was a lock for the pistol. The case is a good shipping container but its cheap as befitting an inexpensive pistol. There are unexpected markings on the receiver forward of the trigger guard that say, "API-Pahrump NV
Twin Pines, Phils."

The pistol itself is parkerized and the finish is well done. The parkerizing is even. The outside of the pistol has no tool marks or blemishes. Its a good looking pistol.

I field stripped the pistol to clean it prior to heading for the range. The pistol was bone dry. It had been proof fired. The insides of the receiver and slide were finished with a better quality than my GI Issue Ithica.

Off to the range. I shoot at an indoor range with a maximum distance of 50 feet. I decided that I was just going to burn up some ammo to begin breaking in the pistol. I took 100 rounds of 230 grain Sellier & Beloit FMJ. I decided to load the magazine with only 7 rounds as I don't like the 8 rounders. The first magazine through every thing went fine except that the slide did not lock back. Upon closer examination, the slide would not lock back with a magazine in the receiver. OOPS! More later.

This particular pistol has one heck of a healthy ejector. Brass was thrown consistently about 10 feet over my right shoulder.

I fired the rest of the 93 rounds left and the slide lock never did its job.

Accuracy at 10 yards was good with all of the rounds kept inside a 3 inch circle. I was not shooting for accuracy. I will do that at about the 400 round mark.

I was pleased with the RIA's performance. No malfunctions what-so-ever.

Took the pistol home and installed the slide stop off my Kimber and headed back to the range with another 100 rounds of the same ammo. No problems what so ever.

I called Bryan at RIA and explained the problem and he said he was putting a new slide stop in the mail. Can't beat that.

Cleaned the pistol and noticed no unusual wear.

I had previously purchased a spare extractor and recoil spring but think I will hold off until something wears out/breakes/malfuctions.

I will be heading back to the range tomorrow.

Remember New Orleans.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 PM

I bought a very valuable lesson with my RIA, but not as costly as it could have been. I am an avid 1911 shooter & even carry one with my CCW licence but I brought this pistol inside from my truck with the intention cleaning it & did something I know better than to do. Even though everthing I have ever read or been told said "Don't leave a rnd in the chamber with the hammer at half cock" I put the RIA in my sock drawer just that way. Less than 5 min. later while in the kitchen I hear a bang. Needless to say my nerves were shot the rest of the day. I was extremly stupid & lucky it only cost me some socks & a hole in the bedroom floor. Anyone who may think a 1911 won't fire a round from half cock or that the hammer won't fall from half cock, be warned. By the way the RIA outshot my springfield armory.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Banned

thats how you learn, and it was cheap no one got hurt. i almost shot my toe off manually decocking my p90, boy did i learn.................
Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 AM

Sounds good. Mine ran like a champ right out of the box as well. Load the magazine with 8 and see how it does. Mine works great, even in my Norinco. I like the RIA.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 PM

I am now up to 400 problem free rounds through my RIA Government Model. I have continued to shoot the S&B 230 grain FMJ.

I received the new slide stop from Bryan at RIA two days after he said he would mail it. It has worked just fine.

I have made a couple of changes, however. First, I have taken the Mohagany grips and replaced them with plastic GI grips and second, I have retired the magazine that came with the pistol and now use a $5.00 gunshow GI issue contract magazine.

After I hit 500 rounds I think I am going to throttle back on cleaning this pistol. At present I field strip it and clean it after every range session. That has put a maximum of only 200 rounds through it before cleaning. I would like to run about twice that through and see how it does.

These GI sights are not optimal for me but I am going to master them.

At 500 rounds I am going to start shooting for accuracy. Right now I am getting less than 3 inches at 50 feet.

Remember New Orleans.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Picture ?????
Old 11-14-2004, 10:51 PM

If I had a digital camera I would.

Remember New Orleans.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:43 PM

Zip06,
The magazine is a Novak mag!
Ivan
Armscor
Old 12-31-2004, 11:59 AM

Well last night I finished off the case of S&B 230grain FMJ in my RIA full sized Government Model. Its still running just fine; no malfunctions. The accuracy seems to be less than my Kimber but the RIA has had less malfunctions than the Kimber. I am not suggesting the Kimber is, in any way, inferior to the RIA but the RIA keeps reinforcing the idea of one heck of a bargain for $273.50

I have made three changes I have made to this pistol. The pistol only needed the first change but the last two are more in line with the "stock GI personality" of the RIA.

First, the original slide stop was faulty and replaced quickly and at no charge by RIA.

Second, I put GI plastic grips on it so that was another $10 bucks.

Third, and finally, I swapped out the main spring housing for a GI MSH with a lanyard loop that I got on Ebay for $15 or so.

I think I am done with the upgrades. I had planned to upgrade the sights but the stock ones seem to work just fine at the distances I am shooting (30 meters or less).

Oh yes, anticipating the exhaustion of the S&B ammo I have purchased another case of S&B for $169.00. I now have more invested in ammo for my RIA than the pistol cost.

Remember New Orleans.

Last edited by Zip06; 12-31-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:42 PM

I'm glad your range report is going very well. I wonder what happens when you start shooting other types of bullets such as JHP, Lead SWC, Truncated Cones of various kind and so on. Please keep us updated and your reports are very informative. I just bought a bunch of parts and I've already passed the 3 hundred mark for a full size 1911 45 that I'm building for my full size defense gun. If I knew I can get an RIA that is reliable I would have gone that way. josh
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 PM

I have shot one magazine of Winchester 185grain Silver Tips and one magazine of Remington Golden Saber 230grainers with no problems with either but I think my RIA is going to have a steady diet of hard ball.

Remember New Orleans.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:00 PM

I've shot about 30 185 gr. silvertips with no problems.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:07 PM

With my RAI 5in Govement Model I experience the same slide stop malfuncations, Brian at API in Pahrump also fixed mine under warranty. I also tried changing out the slide stop,before sending it in for repair. however it didn't help.

Now it also works with the $5.00 gun shop mags.

I have fired in excess of 1500 rounds of a mixture of the Winchester Ranger JHP, Golden Sabers, UMC yellow box 230 gr hardball, Winchester white box 230 Gr hardball, 185 gr SWC handloads, Corbon 185 Gr DPX +P, Corbon 200 Gr, Corbon 185 JHP +P, Corbon 165 Gr +P, CCI Blazer Brass 230 FMJ, PMC 200 Gr JHP and 230 FMJ.

The Corbons I fired one 20 rds box of each of the rds listed, the rest of were a 50 Rd box, except for the 185 SWCs handloads which were the majority of rounds fire.

NO FTE ,FTF, No nothings since the gun came back from Brian. It just keep eating everything I feed it. If i can find some flat wadcutters, I would feed it
them to see if it would eat them too.

My only complaint is a hammer bite. none of my other 1911's bite me.

The only modifications I have made is to replace the grips with a set of WWII plastic brown grips. I have Kings hard ball sights & beaver tail, McCormick commander hammer and trigger, and 18 lb wolf springs setting in a drawer, I had purchased these items to upgrade the RIA ; but It works without these mods.
This gun can keep the rounds within a 3 inch circle at 12 yards,off hand.

I just hate to mess with something that isn't broken.

Would I carry this gun as my CCW? based upon its performace today, yes without hestitation

Last edited by beans; 12-31-2004 at 10:12 PM.