1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 12-17-2001, 11:38 AM

FN Hi-Power

I was reading the latest Combat Handungs magazine last night. There's an article on the Hi-Power that is being imported by FN (the one based in Columbia SC).

I was wondering, has anyone seen or handled one of these yet?
--------------------------------
NRA Life Member
Old 12-24-2001, 06:37 PM

Recently, I handled one in a shop. The Combat Handguns article gives a fair account of the pistol. It has the matte finish and plastic grips; it is a Mark III version but assembled in Belgium.
Price was $599. It comes with one ten round magazine. The box is a big bulky thing, not the neat little one that comes with the Browning version. The owner's manual says Browning on it. I have read (on this board and elsewhere) that FN plans to import a small amount of the 9mm and .40 S&W versions each year, a thousand each--something like that number. Meanwhile, Browning is only importing the 9mm version, again, in limited numbers, as the traffic will bear. Buy either when you see one around.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:51 AM

Re-reading the above, I am glad I was wrong about the "limited "availability" of the HP, whether stamped FN or Browning. Here in Reno we are awash in HP pistols. Prices are a little high, but the pistol is there. Of course, the word is the FN one is no longer imported, but the Browning-marked model soliders on.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

I guess the real question is whether or not FN is going to quit producing the HiPower marked either way. From what I can see there remains quite a demand for the pistols. Rumours suggesting the end of production probably spur sales.

Stay safe
Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 AM

hi power clone ?

I

Last edited by phil in calif.; 10-30-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wrong place
Old 10-30-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbank
I guess the real question is whether or not FN is going to quit producing the HiPower marked either way. From what I can see there remains quite a demand for the pistols. Rumours suggesting the end of production probably spur sales.

Stay safe
I always thought of it as just a rumor, but then 3 weeks ago I got to talk with the master-of-arms of a big police zone and he had to go to FN to try and let him sweet talk into buying the FNP-9, and he said the only pistols that he thinks are now still made at FN are the FNP-series and the FiveSeven

don't know if it's true but if a man like he says it, then it might be something more than a rumor ...

Last edited by T@Gger; 10-31-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 AM

Gene Gangarosa Jr's book on FN/Browning states on page 86 that the Mark III Hi-Power has been produced in Vianna, Portugal, beginning 1989. The pistol has sold well (on a world-wide basis), but I suspect that the price of its production does not leave FN a comfortable margin for profit. The shift to the production of pistols with polymer receivers (FNP & 5.7) probably helps the bottom line in this regard. Where does this economic issue leave the Hi-Power? Portugal would probably hate to lose a major industry in their country. FN can sell as many as they can make. The question remains do they want to bear the cost of doing so? Let us hope so. I love the Hi-Power and would buy a clone from China if I had to.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Drago

No not from China. The Norinco clones of the Hi-Power are crap from talking to guys up here who have tried them. No even good copies. Parts are not interchangeable. The FN's made in Portugal, or at least assembled there are excellent firearms and I would not hesitate to buy one in a heartbeat - have two already if I bought another wife would ensure my heart would stop!

Stay Safe
Old 10-31-2005, 10:49 AM

the MK III HP has always been made in Belgium, just assembled in Portugal
Old 10-31-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbank
...have two already if I bought another wife would ensure my heart would stop!

Stay Safe
My heart would stop too if I had three wives. Espcially if I had to buy them.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Banned

Gadgetman

What;s a comma amongst friends.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM

I just picked up a new FN Mark III SFS for $495. Three ten shot mags and one high capacity. It is superbly finished, like the old Browming shotguns before they were made in Japan. It has the Cylinder and Slide Safety Fast Shooting hammer/safety which seems to work well. It is the first HiPower I have ever had. The trigger is a tad heavy but crisp and no creep. If it shots as well as it feels it'll be a winner. Tomorrow I shoot it.

But, can I shoot +P's for defense?

HiCap
Old 11-01-2005, 09:18 PM

Hello.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/B...essureAmmo.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/H...Ammunition.htm

Best.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 AM

Thank you for the information.

HiCap
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 AM

Saw one of the new FN Hi-Powers at the local gunshop yesterday. I never can resist a nice BHP.

Last edited by jimmy; 11-04-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:38 PM

the FN hi powers are still available at CDNN for $399. it's a great buy.
FN has always made the HP for browning, browning would just stamp their name on it. maybe browning took a break or thought about diversifying their products and had fn import directly for a while...what i had heard recently is that fn will no longer import fn hi powers to the us...from now on if you want a new hp in the us you must get a new browning, after the remaining fns are gone of course.
the fn hi power is the same animal as a browning hp mkIII
cheers,
Derek
Old 11-02-2005, 08:16 PM

Here is what they look like from CDNN...

Just bought one this week from CDNN:

Old 11-02-2005, 09:30 PM

i'm sending in my MO and FFL to CDNN this week. the guy on the phone said they had lots of them left.
cheers,
Derek
Old 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the update, I'll calling Monday!

These are sweet, but i'm not sure about the grip and why waste my time with a 10rounders, save it for someone in the PRK and give me thier 13.

I'm surfing tonight trying to figure out what to spend my b-day money on. I've been looking at these for months. This gun has been one of my favorites since I was a kid... a long time ago.

1911's have spoiled me with their SA triggers and I wanted a 9mm in SA, well this is it!

tjg
Old 11-09-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree
These are sweet, but i'm not sure about the grip and why waste my time with a 10rounders, save it for someone in the PRK and give me thier 13.
Do what I did and also order several of the Argentine contract 15 (or 17) round magazines, along with a set of rosewood grips. If the $29 rosewood grips aren't really your thing, they've got other makes and styles as well.

Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 07:04 PM

i ordered new mec gar 13 rounders from brownells for $16.80 each, then a set of micarta thin grips, and 3 sets of the dymondwood/rosewood grips so i have a shot at getting some that halfway match.
cheers,
Derek