1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 PM

What makes plain-jane 1911 into a "race gun"?

Just wondering what level of upgrades would you consider to be musthaves for a "race gun". Actually I have no idea what race guns should be like, I just heard people talking about them and talking about the features. Is it something that's like upgrades people do to cars?

So far, I've upgraded my plainjane 'rinco 1911 into the following. Right now it has full-length guide rod, adjustable rear sight, slotted trigger, high ride beavertail and lighter commander hammer. Is it a Race gun yet or not?

Last edited by Colt Natl Match; 09-14-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 PM

never seen a race gun that wasn't Super .38
Old 09-14-2004, 09:55 PM

Try this thread: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91945

and scroll down to my post there, #6, I think it is. Check out the picture.

This is what some 'race guns' look like. I think the terminology comes from the idea that they lose any semblance to a "practical" defense gun, the more they are tuned specially for the "equipment race" sometimes called IPSC. (Used to be called "practical" shooting, ironically enough...)

Or check out the pictures of the "Pro Six" or the "Open Pistol" under the Custom Guns menu at: http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

They get pretty radical nowadays.

Last edited by ranger; 09-15-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:12 PM

To make a plain-jane M1911 into a race gun, add $1,200 bucks to a humble plea with the best gunsmith you can find.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:57 PM

Whatever the adzine writers dream up along with Pocket Rocket and Ultimate Blaster.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 PM

Here's a couple o' race guns... and a couple that aren't.

Looks greener over there...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 AM

Not much, just a match grade fitted barrel and bushing, 3.5# or lighter trigger, beavertail grip safety, high cut frontstrap, red dot sights, slide rackers, oversized add on mag well(can be welded to gun or Caspian Race Ready frame), large multi port comp if in caliber other than .45 ACP, and usually but not always built on Caspian, STI/SVI 2011, or Para Ordnance high cap frames.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:56 AM

I see, so they are not "practical" anymore for a normal gun anymore. May be what I was looking for was "tactical", but that word has been misused awful a lot lately.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:36 PM

KAS, out of curiousity... how did slide rackers make your list of requirements for a race gun? How about blast shields too? (neither of which I'm not fond of.)

Now Rich, m'friend, I think you read a wee itty bit too much into the post that ranger made. Nobody here is going to force you to do a reload with retention behind cover. Take a deep breath and relax, ya PIA.

Opinions are funny... Rich, what you've defined as a "race gun" describes my Baer and RRA of which I noted "aren't" (in my opinion). Made me laugh. To me, what you've described is a good, reliable gun with user specific options, not a "race gun". Also, Wilson mags won't run in my guns so I don't use them. I only use "cheap" McCormicks... that happens to save a few bucks so I can put that money towards more real 140/170mm mags.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbigdawg
Oh....so Jeff's allowing you to have grown up mags now?
What Jeff says,... goes.

Quote:
It's been 'tuned' and 'tweaked' to run to the owner's liking. It's a race gun. Comps, dots, slide rackers and blast shields (come to the dark side....BAWAHAHAHA) do not a race gun make.
Our opinions differ.

Quote:
Hasta ya sweet Philly!
Uhhh... ya mean "filly"? Like the ol' fart shotgunners call me???
Code:
fil·ly    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (fl)
n. pl. fil·lies 
1.  A young female horse. 
2.  Informal. A lively, high-spirited girl or young woman.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:07 AM

What makes a plain-jane 1911 into a "race gun"?

You!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
KAS, out of curiousity... how did slide rackers make your list of requirements for a race gun? How about blast shields too? (neither of which I'm not fond of.)
Simple, race guns are the only thing I've seen them on. They don't have to have them though I guess. Let me put it this way if it's got 6 or more out of the 9 characteristics I listed I would consider it a race gun.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:49 AM

Quote:
(see cardboard and/or weights in the photographer's vests to aid in faster concealed draws)
That's not a gamer trick, Bill Jordan recommended that years ago in
"No Second Place Winner."
Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 PM

Can you guys tell a "race car" from a regular car? A "racing bicycle" from a regular bicyle? A "race horse" from a plow-horse?

It means its for competition only, not practical for everyday use. You don't take a Top Fuel rail dragster to the grocery store for a carton of milk, for example.

Another example, some guys run a 1.5# trigger pull on their competition gun. This is not usually considered safe for daily carry use, by most people. When you have a big long compensated, optical sighted gun it's no longer likely to be a department-issued policeman's gun. They are specially contrived for competition use, to the point they are no longer well suited to non-competition use.

That's why it's called a "race gun", because it's mainly built just for competition use.

Last edited by ranger; 09-16-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:31 PM

The concept of a sub 2# trigger being unsafe has always baffled me. What's so unsafe about it if it's reliable? Or is it more of an operator-brain-fart problem?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:51 PM

I think "race gun" depends more on the application than the hardware.

There are Limited Division race guns that look pretty normal ... but the owners sure do "race" with them!

Old 09-17-2004, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino465
... but the owners sure do "race" with them!
Dammit!!! By your definition, my "race guns" automatically become Volkswagen Beetles. Crap!!!

Does the Special Olympics have a shooting event?

KAS, excellent explanation. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:37 AM

Why, it's the shooter of course. Ross Seyfied won an IPSC match with one.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbigdawg
IPSC is an equipment race? So, IPSC shooters don't know how to shoot? Hmmm....who was it that was the first IDPA four gun master? Rob Leatham. Who won the first couple of IDPA Nationals by huge margins? Rob Leatham. Who's the most winning and respected IPSC Shooter? Rob Leatham. Interesting how an IPSC shooter dominates "practical" shooting to the degree that Springfield gives him his own signature series. ...
Rich
HI

I watched Rob shoot and win the falling plate portion of the Bianchi cup this year. I want to shoot now that I actually have a pistol.... Rob wins for two reasons: 1. Obviously, he can shoot pistols. He can shoot MOST pistols from what I've seen; 2. He can hodwink the other shooters into believing that they can't beat him.

I also watched Bruce Piatt (Spelling) shoot in the air pistol contest that they put on. These two have mind games down to an art. Saw Doug Koening, but didn't see him shoot. Since he beats both Rob and Bruce, his mind games must be a masterpiece.

Later

Mike