1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 09-11-2004, 01:32 PM

Llama 45 MiniMax Sub Compact

I just bought this gun at an auction last week brand new for $200.00 and have read it's good to get a trigger job (45.00) done on it even if it's brand new. What else can I do to have a more reliable handgun with this Llama?

I will not be using this gun for competition, but as for protection around the house and just to go to the range and fire off some rounds to become accustom to it before I start traveling to different cities.

I know how some feel about Llama and think they are a POS, but for the price that I got this gun I would like to do a few mods to make it just as comparable to some of the other 400-500 dollar guns.

Last edited by DTL504; 09-11-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:16 PM

Just my opinion mind you, but you just wasted $200. I owned one a few years back, had the trigger job done on it and a few other things just to get it shoot right. Never did and always felt like I had an anvil in my holster. Seemed like the heaviest pistol in the world. Finally dumped it and was glad to get rid of it. I've read in this forum, and others, that there is some who like them and had good experience with them. However, most have been negative. I hope you fall into the former, but I would never buy another Llama again,,, you couldn't give me one.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 PM

I think you will have at least $400-$500 in this gun before it is all said and done and it will still be nothing more than a boat anchor. If by a rare fluke it is reliable, I would not spend a penny on it. Just use it as your car gun and don't lose any sleep over it if it is stolen. By the way if you do any modifications on the gun at all, you will never see a penny in increased resale value.

ranburr
Old 09-11-2004, 03:37 PM

What they said

You should have read a bit on it first ,it has the worst revue I have ever seen on a gun ,even the old top loading grendel .380 made around 89,the problem is the recoil spring in such a compact .45 ,kimber started a dual capture recoil spring wich seams to have worked out the problem of ftf and fte most common problem on the short barrel and slide movement

You can get a trigger job ,polish the ramp ,flare the ejection port ,and it will do nothing ,because that is not the problem

shoot it and please post you findings
Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 PM

When it comes to buying a handgun, I wouldnt buy anything with the quality lower than a Ruger or Taurus, not that these are bad guns, these guns are just on the lower end of the handgun scale. It seems with firearms, you really get what you pay for. Guns like the Llama, Bersa, Hi Point, and such are at the lowest end, kinda like the Yugo of guns, cheap but not very good.
or end the suspense!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:17 PM

Ruger P series on low end of the handgun scale? Yikes.

Maybe in price. Ruger P series are held in high regard. Read up!

I own 2.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 PM

Ruger should have stayed with revolvers ,while autoís function well and are ok on accuracy ,I personally see no reason on the bulk of the gun

They do not have a good resale value at around 350 bucks
Old 09-11-2004, 09:17 PM

Dave,
It looks to me that you are happy with your purchase since you used the so first thing to do before even thinking that you have to do any mods to it is to take it out and shoot it Stop in at your local Wally World and pick up a box or two of the Winchester 100 round value packs.
Put a little oil on the slide rails and proceed to shoot up those 100 or more
rounds. Don't worry about keeping all your shots in the center of the target,
but if you can, great. My first .45 was a Llama full size, and I still have and shoot it. Post a range report when you get a chance.

Mike
Old 09-11-2004, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpostal
They do not have a good resale value
Most guns don't. That's a moot point as far as Ruger is concerned.

Revolvers IS their best business, but that isn't to undermine the attempt of the company to produce a decent autoloader. The P series have been hailed by the top names in the business. They're right up there with reliability and performance with the top names in the handgun world, and they come at a low price most, if not all, can afford.

And there ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Argue all day on the subject, but truth is truth. Some know, some don't, apparently. Good day!

Back on track before this gentleman has his thread closed..

Let's talk of importance and dare I say relevance to the original post.

I've never handled a Llama, never researched Llama, or otherwise have any information or knowledge on them. However, it's easy to see this guy is motivated and psyched about his purchase, so let's not tell him his gun sucks and he made a mistake.

Buy a bunch of ammo, and enjoy shooting the crap out of it, and yourself!
Hope everything works out for you and I, for one, am glad to see someone so excited about a purchase. It's been a while.

Stay up!

Last edited by Locked In 1911; 09-11-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:20 AM

Personally I'm just not the one to invest several hundred dollars into a gun and has not plans to enter or win a competition in shooting. I have other hobbies where I invest my money (race car). I just bought this gun for security reason and I think it will pass the test for my usage. Do you really need a $600 gun to protect you personal belonging? I don't think so and many have guns cheaper than this one and has served it purpose of home security. However when I build my engine I use 4340 steel pistons, but hyper pistons is good for the novice racer as a Llama is good for me being that I will only shoot this gun only a few times a year.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:54 AM

If it functions reliably, you are ok. But if it fails you when you need it, your last thought is going to be that you wished that you had spent a few more dollars. By the way, my life and property are worth a heck of a lot more than $600.

ranburr
Old 09-12-2004, 01:25 AM

I think he meant more that it doesn't take 600 dollars worth of handgun to protect him and his family. I don't see him putting a price on the lives of his loved ones, and shouldn't be made to feel like he should.

Sorry DTL. Enjoy your piece, and safe and happy shooting.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:33 AM

DTL504, if your pistol works with a 230gr or 200gr hollow point you have lost nothing. Why do I say this? I use a Bersa Thunder 45 daily for car/carry and I love to see peoples faces when I shoot it. My Bersa is a great $250 gun that can do anything my more expensive guns can. In regard to the trigger buy a snap cap and dry fire it a lot, take your Llama to the range and make sure it is reliable (200 rounds with no malfis), and then let people snear at your bargain. With this said, go enjoy your new toy! Regards, Richard
Old 09-12-2004, 05:35 AM

Congratulations

Enjoy
Old 09-12-2004, 06:29 AM

DTL,

You should range test ANY weapon for reliability if it is going to be used as a protective piece.

I recomind at least 300 rds to break the weapon in (some malfunctions during break in is expected) and then another 300 rds of the ammunition you are going to keep it loaded with (no malfunctions should be accepted).

Try various brands & types of ammunition until you are either:

A. Convienced that the weapon will function flawlessly with a peticular brand & type of ammunition.

B. Convienced that the weapon will not function flawlessly with ANY ammunition regardless of brand or type.

Good luck DTL, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:39 AM

The point everyone is trying to get across is ,you very well could have just paid 200 bucks for a single shot
As locked in 1911 pointed out all the critics point of view is so important ,the claim the llama {pronounced yama} mini max is one of the most unreliable compact 45ís ever produced ,even the ones sent to the gun magazines for review were total junk

I looked at one very seriously ,even a good gun dealer will tell you the actual facts ,and not snow ball you for a gun sale

Now with all those things pointed out ,my 21st birthday I purchased my first pistol ,yep you guessed it llama full size ,never had a problem with it ,wish I was fortunate enough to still have it ,and in addition I have a amt government model in the back of my safe ,it has the worst reputation ever ,the one I have I only put about 500 rounds through ,not one malfunction ,and accuracy it good

Now about the rugers ,when I stated they have a low resale value ,yes everything does from cars to all firearms even wives ,but ruger p series has a even lower resale value than a gun purchased of equal retail value ,ask any gun dealer what they will give you for it ,200 to 250 bucks ,and they will tell you they will sit on it for awhile ,and in addition ,I myself give it a good review above on reliability and accuracy ,my problem lies with the bulk of the gun ,why would anyone want to carry a 9mm,40,or.45 ĺ the size of a dessert eagle ,I travel 3 to 5 hundred miles a day from stl.mo ,I cover from Kansas to Indiana ,I know every gun shop from Chicago to Arkansas ,{with in distance from the highway}
I see more ruger p series than any other gun ,some has been sitting on them for two years
,there are good points and bad points ,we will have to agree to disagree ,you own two ,you enjoy them ,thatís what counts
Old 09-12-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpostal
There are good points and bad points, we will have to agree to disagree, you own two, you enjoy them, thatís what counts
I wasn't trying to argue or otherwise start a debate Gpostal, but I appreciate the reply and the explanation for your reasoning, which makes sense. They're great shooters and I'll never sell them, and I got them at a great price to boot! Size (me being 6'7 260lbs) doesn't bother me, I've held a Desert Eagle .50AE and it felt normal and comfortable in my hands.

The reason I quoted you, is that statement struck me, and this post, right on the head. You basically summed up this entire thread in that sentence right there. The Llama has good points too, albeit many bad points. Doesn't mean it can't or won't be a decent shooter. I've seen cheaper guns perform well on the range. Through all the posts about DTL making a mistake and ''wasting 200 bucks'', they can all be put to rest in a hurry. DTL does enjoy his new pistol, and THAT is what counts. I commend you Gpostal for making such a statement and general observation.

The snobbery of the post involving protecting ones family with a gun less than $600 does not fall under the above comments.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 PM

hmmm

Ok, $45 for a trigger job on a Llama. Ask any Kimber guy, or Colt, or whomever, how much they paid for the trigger jobs on their 1911s. When it's their baby, no price for improvements is too high. When it's something they don't like, any money spent is too much.
Enjoy your pistol, that's what counts.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In 1911
The snobbery of the post involving protecting ones family with a gun less than $600 does not fall under the above comments.

I don't know how you feel it is snobbery. I am simply stating what is a fact for me. I would not trust the protection of my life or property to this $200 gun. I have seen too many of these pistols that were very unreliable. In the gun world you generally get what you pay for. There is an ocasional bargain out there, but I have yet to see that be the case with this Llama pistol.

ranburr
Old 09-12-2004, 03:02 PM

ranburr, I can give you examples of handguns that cost $250 and that I would trust my life to. Some are the FEG BHP clone, Arcus 94, Norinco 1911A1 cost me $210, any Makarov, Bersa Thunder 380, and Bersa Thunder 45. If a weapon works well but doesn't cost an arm an a leg I love it. Regards, Richard

Ps I own handguns that cost well over $600 but I elect to carry the Bersa Thunder 45.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranburr
I would not trust the protection of my life or property to this $200 gun. I have seen too many of these pistols that were very unreliable. In the gun world you generally get what you pay for. There is an ocasional bargain out there, but I have yet to see that be the case with this Llama pistol.

ranburr
I'm 37 yrs old and have never owned a pistol before, so I guess upgrading from NOTHING to a Llama is still a complete waste....
I guess it's like going from walking to a Yugo.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm just saying from my perspective an unreliable pistol is as bad or worse than having no pistol at all. I would not want someone to have a false sense of security because they have a gun that is unreliable. I have personally seen at least two dozen of these Llamas come in for repair. I have yet to meet an owner who says that they have a reliable version of this pistol. The full size Llama is a much more reliable pistol (and it is sometimes spotty). And yes, I would rather walk then have a Yugo broken down in my driveway.

ranburr
Old 09-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranburr
I'm just saying from my perspective an unreliable pistol is as bad or worse than having no pistol at all. I would not want someone to have a false sense of security because they have a gun that is unreliable. I have personally seen at least two dozen of these Llamas come in for repair. I have yet to meet an owner who says that they have a reliable version of this pistol. The full size Llama is a much more reliable pistol (and it is sometimes spotty). And yes, I would rather walk then have a Yugo broken down in my driveway.

ranburr
Noone said it was unreliable, it's just assumed. I highly doubt, that a man such as CTF who is buying a handgun for the first time to protect his family with would NOT shoot it before tossing it in the nightstand. You've seen 2 dozen Llama's come into repair, how many Kimber's, Colt's, SA's, have come in to shops around the country for repair? How many GSR's turned out to be complete POS's? Noone said SIG could make a junk gun! All gun buys are a crapshoot, but noone rains on our Kimber parades, etc,. Let him have his pistol and work it out to his ability. He MAY choose to upgrade later if it's proven unreliable, or he may throw money at it to make it work. Who cares? It's his gun, his responsibility, his family, and his money. I don't see why he's being ridden for his choice of purchase.

Let's bring the maturity level up a little bit here.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:22 AM

Well ,I own one also. Now and then will get thru a full mag with out a jam. But normal is 3 or more per mag. Extractor broke at approx 250 rounds they sent me 2 at no charge. It's in bottom drawer now. I sure hope yours is better than mine. This is my 3rd Llama in last 20 years.First two were great pistols thst why #3 ,should have stopped when I was ahead.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In 1911
It's his gun, his responsibility, his family, and his money. I don't see why he's being ridden for his choice of purchase.

Let's bring the maturity level up a little bit here.
Way to go Locked In!!!!!!!!!!!!!